SUPER SIMPLE CHEESECAKE with a pecan crust

(Consensus is Politics) #27

I followed the directions, put enough pecans to cover bottom of dish. CHECK. Place in a zip lock bag and pound them, crush them to small pieces. Uhhh… uh oh. Not working to well. !! Put them in a blender!! CHECKAROONI! Oops. About half of the pecans now have the consistency of peanut butter. Pretty tastey too. Scrap out what i could (that i could without eating it) and spread it like a butter across the bottom of the pan. It looked pretty rough, but was oh my gosh tastey!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #28

Yeah, mine took longer than the original post suggested to bake. May experiment with the temp a bit next time.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #29

I’ve had the same trouble with getting a good pecan crust. Rolling pin with a ziplock did not get them small enough…which was OK, actually.

But for previous tries at a pecan crust, I’ve used a mini food processor, but never can manage to get a consistent size of the bits. Always end up with some practically powdered and some big chunks. I’ve been tempted to try my coffee grinder, but that would probably not end well…

(Tammy Kidd) #30

I take out my stress on the pecans…hah…makes me feel better !

(Tammy Kidd) #31

I would think it has to do with different type ovens?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #32

Made another one today. Sadly, forgot to take pictures, but it came out nicely.

Changed it up a bit. Less pecans, and this time I crushed them a lot smaller, using a meat tenderizing hammer. Then melted the butter in with the pecans in a bowl, added the sweetener, and spread in the baking dish before baking for 10 min or so.

Doubled the filling recipe, since I was taking this to a party, and baked in our toaster oven which has a convection setting. Got nicely browned on top. Probably could’ve cooked a little longer, and I think it came out a little looser than before because I used jumbo eggs, plus some heavy cream. Tasted fine, though.

Was even a hit with the sugar burners. Thankfully, there were leftovers. :slight_smile:

(Candy Lind) #33

I don’t think that can really happen! LOL! :crazy_face:

(this w/regard to longer cook times)

Oh, yeah. I have a crappy oven that has terrible heat distribution. It can vary over 50 degrees from top to bottom! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I use two oven thermometers that I move around to decide the best place to place a particular recipe. One of these days I’m gonna hit the lotto and replace that piece of shit.

(Candy Lind) #34

MMMMM! I don’t know that anyone has come up with a good replacement for that kind of pastry dough, but someone’s got to do it eventually. The pistachios are a problem - but maybe the carbs could be reduced by mixing with pecans? I know I always think of baklava as using walnuts, which are more bitter, so the pecan substitution might make your tongue happy. Or you just live with the increased carb count … it’s something to consider. I think we have some good replacement options for honey already.

… and now that I’ve looked around on the interwebs, I see several substitutes for phyllo, one even created by a Greek (which means he’d probably be pretty picky about whether it really works or not). I’ll have to put baklava on my list of recipes to tweak.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #35

OK, how about I had the wrong ratio of cheesecake to crust? :wink:

My second attempt was much better balanced. Arguably a little higher in carbs, given the doubling of the cream cheese, but still pretty low overall.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #36

According to my Turkish tour guide, “Greeks know NOTHING of baklava.” That was the largest emotional rise we got out of him in 17 days. Oh and insisting that the Armenian genocide was a genocide.

He thought the best baklava was to be found in Syria and Lebanon. Did not think it was a good idea for us to go looking for it.

I’m skeptical as all get out about a keto friendly phylo that isn’t pure chemical sorcery.

(What The Fast?!) #37

Made this tonight for Valentine’s Day! I halved the sweetener and just used a 1/4 cup of erythritol. Turned out FAB! We ate it warm with a little Halo Top and strawberries…and as you can see, we made QUITE a dent in it.

Edited to fix - I used a QUARTER cup of erythritol, not a half cup. 30 minutes at 350.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #38

Next try… As with prior attempt, doubled the filling, but this time added cocoa (around 3 Tbsp) and a little extra sweetener. Looks good, but might be a little overcooked. Waiting for it to cool to try a slice.

(Valerie Williams) #39

I’m not hip to the jargon yet… HWC?!

(Candy Lind) #40

Heavy Whipping Cream.

Check out the Acronyms WIKI.

(Valerie Williams) #41

LOL thanks!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #42

BTW, the chocolate version was just OK. Need to work on it. Ended up quite grainy, not sure if that’s the addition of the cocoa or what. Perhaps next time I’ll try powdered Swerve.

(Tammy Kidd) #43

I always use the powdered version. Every time i tried the granular it doesn’t seem to break down even with being heated.

(Athena) #44

I make this all the time now at our house. Lately I’ve been topping it with @Brenda 's Chocolate Peanut butter bar’s chocolate topping. Delicious!

CheesecakeChocolateTop3_19_18

(Tammy Kidd) #45

Love It! Looks delicious.

(Mother of Puppies ) #46

On my list, however, I will keep the pecans in the trunk of my car until I plan to cook this. :innocent: