Sue's 2017 Progress Pictures and Non-Scale Victories!

iodine
fastingwomen
progresspics
nsv
fasting

(sue) #1

First time sharing pictures on its own thread on these forums. I’m very excited to share in several spaces so forgive me if you’ve seen these already! But this post will have the most details.

I’ve had moderate success with keto 4 years ago but did not stick to it after 3 months. It was a long 4 years of battling to get back on it, but I finally did achieve that in the year 2017 :smile:

The resources I attribute the most to my success:

• the 2 Keto Dudes podcast and Ketofest 2017
  • the Kickarse Keto Bitches facebook group
  • The Low Carb Road Protocol by Rebecca Latham (a fasting protocol)
  • Dr. Jason Fung, Megan Ramos and their tips on fasting

What ketogenic eating, intermittent, alternate day, extended fasting, and iodine supplementation have given me in 2017:

• a loss of 41.1 lbs (highest recorded is 185+)
  • an HbA1c of 5.0% (highest recorded is 5.8)
  • a fasted insulin level of 6.2 uIU/mL (highest recorded is 24.8)
  • triglycerides of 68 mg/dL (highest recorded is 147)
  • perfect blood pressure (used to veer on the low end)
  • discipline to make my own food in a house that does not share my WOE
  • better reasons to eat or drink something other than the fact that it’s available in front of me
  • several amazing online communities
  • endless learning and laughs during commutes listening to podcasts
  • the ability, energy and desire to take walks outside for no other reason than that it feels good
  • a much more stable mood, patience
  • a feeling that I can start to have my life back
  • influenced 2 others to start keto that set off a chain reaction to at least a half dozen others
  • hope that my type 2 diabetic father on several medications will see and emulate the changes that I made

What I hope to gain in 2018:

• some more fat loss
  • some muscle and strength
  • better posture (maybe even a half inch in height?) and greater flexibility
  • lots more really cute clothes and accessories
  • regular movement and activity (walking, pilates, kettle bell training)
  • resolution of remaining thyroid issues
  • resolution of remaining gut and digestion issues

Picture time!

Please ask away if you have any questions! I have so much I could share that I would not know where to start! :blush: Cheers to the end of 2017 and to another new year! :tada::confetti_ball:

How often to fast?
(Sarah Lynn ) #2

You look great! Congratulations on all your hard work :slight_smile:

(Darlene Horsley) #3

Wow! You’re amazing! Congrats to you and bravo on the converts!

(Zack F) #4

Congratulations! An inspiring transformation.

(Liz ) #5

Fantastic! I love that you shared the resources you found most helpful. You look great & you look like you FEEL great!

I’m losing much slower than you have. What was your fasting schedule? Other hints?

(sue) #7

Hi Tex, our rates of loss can be so different because there are probably 101 possible factors or confounders.

But here’s a link to the article where I first learned about this specific fasting protocol. You basically use your daily scale weight to determine whether or not you will fast that day. I personally consume only water, black coffee, and salt on those days

How to use your bathroom scale as a fuel guage

(Michele) #8

Thank you for sharing that link.

Great post Sue! I know you from KKBs, but love this summary. You are amazing!

(sue) #10

Fantastic! I love that you shared the resources you found most helpful. You look great & you look like you FEEL great!

Thanks Liz! I definitely do feel awesome :smiley: I do anticipate that I have the potential to feel even more amazing as my health continues to improve.

(sue) #11

Hi! Thank you so much for the encouragement

That is really one aspect of this that is satisfying - to see others also become empowered to improve their own health. Four years ago it was really a different climate and any mention of low carb was immediately shut down so I kept quiet. But tides are definitely turning.

Congratulations on your lifestyle commitments!

(Julie) #13

Your hard work has proven to be successful and you look great … nice work!

I would like to know if you have any favorite recipes and tips to share. Thanks so much, Sue!

(sue) #14

Thanks! I’m definitely in the “keep it simple” and “lazy keto” camp. (By lazy I mean lazy with cooking and fancy recipes, not lazy as in lazy carb restriction). I believe that’s why fasting has been working out so well for me, because it greatly simplifies things. I usually eat out at a restaurant once a week, which leaves only about 3 days where I have to cook myself dinner.

I don’t particularly like meal planning or cooking and freezing in advance. I share a kitchen with my family and there is just not a lot of space. So what I end up doing is some meat + green veggie thrown into a pan with butter or ghee or lard, and lots of salt and pepper.

As for lunch at work I have a deli in my office that will pretty much make me anything

Here’s a photo album of the things I eat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hByI7JkPUeeBD25w2

(Monica Ethridge) #15

I am so inspired by your story. Thank you so much for sharing it!

I was on Keto before the holidays. I fell off the wagon but now I am back in the saddle! I can’t wait to start feeling good again!!!

Awesome progress!!! Congratulations on such great results for all your committment!

(Julie) #17

Thanks for sharing, Sue! Inadvertently, you cleared up a misconception I had regarding “lazy keto”. Without knowing differently, I assumed it meant lazy in carb restriction. I guess that puts me in the “lazy keto camp” for most of my meals. I don’t like fussy, high-brow recipes or those with many ingredients. I do love to cook/bake! Thanks again, Sue!

(sue) #18

To be fair I think I’m in the minority - I think most people do equate lazy keto with lazy carb restriction haha.

Edit: oh I think another interpretation of lazy keto is not counting/tracking calories and macros.

(Sophie) #19

That photo of you on the beach last month really says it all. Gorgeous!!

(sue) #20

Today I made a visual progress chart for myself on my corkboard at work.