How often to fast?

(Brent) #1

Hi everyone. First of all i have 3 different questions so i’m going to post them in different threads rather than complicate everything but putting them into one thread.

Anyways i’m currently on my longest fast every. I’m on the 6th day of a 7 day fast. Its been hell this time. Of course the 2nd day was the hardest but i expected that but its been rough through the entire thing.Thank god it will be over tomorrow. Whats probably made it even harder is i’m addicted to diet code red mt dew. I drink almost a 12 pack a day. It helped me get though my 5 day fast but this fast was strictly water only.

Anyways, i know this might be hard to answer but how often is it generally advised to do a long fast? I was thing maybe once every other month. What are you thoughts? I IF almost every day (few exceptions on the weekends). I only eat dinner

(Marty Kendall) #2

Personally I try to fast two or three days per week. I was doing longer fasts but I found that I wasn’t making the progress I was hoping for as I would give myself permission to overeat once the fast was finished. I like the idea of tweaking the fasting frequency to achieve your weight loss goals as detailed in this post.

(Larry Lustig) #3

A fast like the one you described? I wouldn’t do it ever. I’d have to be facing some pretty dire health issue to put myself through that.

I’ve felt pretty damn good since almost the moment I started keto. I don’t mind some modest degree of hunger from eating one meal a day or even a three day fast. But keto (at least for me) is not about feeling like hell or punishing myself.

Its been hell this time
its been rough through the entire thing
Thank god it will be over tomorrow
i’m addicted to diet code red mt dew. I drink almost a 12 pack a day. It helped me get though my 5 day fast

It sounds like long fasts are not for you.

What are your goals?

(Brent) #5

I hit my goals during my initial keto period and hit mid 180s. After that i went on carb nite (but i did a carb load every 2nd week rather than every week) and it worked well for me and i was able to maintain my weight just fine. Then the holidays came and this was planned that i was going to slack off. I didn’t go crazy but thanksgiving & christmas was a free for all. My weight crept up to 196. I said no problem i’ll just go back on full keto but unfortunately my weight was stuck in the 190s. Thats why i went on the fast but during the fast i decided to changes my goals. I really think i need to be in the mid to lower 170s. Even in the 180s i have to much fat around my mid section & love handle area. While its not horrible its more than i would like. I haven’t had a flat stomach since i’ve been very young (even when i was running 70 miles a week when i was training for a marathon).

I’m 6’0’’ & 44 years of age.

(sue) #6

I am personally open to doing occasional longer fasts, but @Marty_Kendall I’ve experienced similar difficulties in not overeating once the fast was ended.

The strategy you outlined in that blog post has worked really well for me so far, been on it since September 2017. The support I get on Rebecca’s facebook group is also awesome .

How have you been doing since February? :smiley: