Sudden woosh

I’m approaching week 8, weight loss has been mostly consistent. Lots of weight loss the first month, second month I lost a total of 6-6.5 lbs. I wasn’t complaining. Seems like a reasonable weight loss. My question is can you still have a sudden woosh while still consistently losing? I’ve seen most people have this sudden woosh after a stall. I haven’t really had any stalls aside from maybe a week or so that I just maintained. I weighed on Friday and has lost 2lbs last week. Great! This morning I’ve lost an additional 4… is this normal? I’m really considering maybe my scale is broken haha. Advice appreciated.

Also as far as diet not much has changed except the last few days I haven’t really been hungry. Yesterday I had one meal. Today I’ve had one so far. I eat when I’m hungry but then I think of the whole “restricting calories” even if I’m not doing it on purpose. Thanks guys.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I’m not the one to ask, since my scale enjoys lying to me. One day it told me I weighed 25 pounds more. Two days later, I was a few pounds less than my starting weight. Another day, I was 15 pounds up before jumping in the shower; after the shower, I apparently had washed off 11 pounds of dirt, lol! I can also make the reading vary by around 20 pounds just by how I stand on the blasted thing.

Seriously, the only way to know is to see if you continue at that weight and if your weight loss continues from that level.

(Pete A) #3

I still woosh after 18 months Keto, 75 pounds lost and at goal weight. That being said, I also whoosh UP, and it does balance out… :slight_smile:

CONGRATS on your progress and great attitude!

(Janelle) #4

I’ve never whooshed once in 5 months. If I’m going to lose at all, it’s at a pound a week or less. No surprises - lol.

(Janelle) #5

Just don’t restrict calories consistently and you’ll be fine.

(less is more, more or less) #6

I have a very accurate scale. But my body lies to it. Most “oldies” will tell you the scale can and will mislead you, particularly on a ketogenic diet. As a general indicator, absolute weight is helpful, but one can, and at least in America, we do, become too focused on this single metric. The easiest measurements that will help are your body measurements.

I think I did after too much coconut oil, oh, wait, that’s something else. :wink:

From my understanding, you can have a woosh at anytime. This is a video I watched some time back, but it was recently posted to my wife’s thread, so it just reminded me where it was. Hope this helps…

Impossible to lose weight 😐
(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #8

I love Nurse Cindy. She is blunt and funny.

Yeah, I think I watched this video in the first two weeks of doing research on Keto when I first started. At least she’s fun to watch, opposed to some others who at times can be harder to watch. But the info. provided is what counts. … But it’s much easier when the presenter is easier to relate to.

(Carl Keller) #10

I think I had a whoosh on the third day of a fast. After not having eaten for about 60 hours, I was puzzled why I had the sudden and urgent need to go #2. So I rushed to the bathroom and dropped what felt like diarrhea. I was done in 3 seconds and when I inspected my work it looked like all that came out was water with just a trace of algae-like floaties (sorry for the description).

I weighed myself later that evening and noticed I dropped 5 pounds since the morning. My theory is that I had expelled a lot of water that had been sitting inside of empty fat cells and my body decided “Now’s a good time to get rid of this stuff”.

Here’s an interesting article that explains the concept of the whoosh but I may not agree with how it suggest you might induce one. I also read another article authored by a guy who said his whoosh was prompted by a night of drinking. The bottom line is that it’s displacing water and may affect our figure, but it’s not true fat loss.

Thanks for all the replies! And Carl, you hit the nail on the head. I had some abdominal cramping this am (similar to what I would have on the SAD) and immediate diarrhea. Which I thought was odd considering my eating habits hadn’t changed. I will be happy to maintain this weight for a while as I’ve lost the 5 lbs I had goaled to lose for the month of March :joy:

(Marianne) #12

I detest the scale, however, at some point when I am ready, I will weigh myself again (not anytime soon). I do think our scale is accurate, though. In your case, I’d get a new one. Weight is just a number, however, there are times when you want to know where you are at, I guess. (I really hate the scale.)

(Consensus is Politics) #13

Hrm… interesting. But she missed something. If its true that water replaces the fat, I have never heard of this before, but what the heck, learn me something, if the cell remains the same size, the same volume, and its the fat is replaced with water, there will be a net weight gain. Water is denser than fat. The same volume of water weighs [give me a minute, I need to google a bit, I’ll be right back, I promise. Wow you waited, sorry it took so long. Google was having an attitude]

So fat weighs in at 1.98 pounds per liter (google would only find it in this strange form of pounds and liters. Very odd.

Water weighs in at 1 KG per liter. (Inconsistent much google?)

So per liter, water is 2.2 pounds and fat is 1.98. Some quick napkin math puts fat at 90% the weight of water.

Sooooo… if the fat replaced by water was near instant, then as you burned off fat you would slowly be gaining weight. Wait, nope. You already have that water in your system. So there is a small weight loss initially. Until the nextime you hydrate. Then you will gain 1.1 pounds of water in your fat cells for every pound of fat loss. With no measurements changing, seeing as the cells are retaining their original volume.

Until later when you run into a tree and then “whoosh”. You end up like a crew on a space ship that goes to warp speed without its inertia dampers working.

Well, I would have to go back and check on it, but don’t think she said it would be replaced verbatim. So maybe it’s not the same exact amount, maybe just close? I don’t know? I only shared it for guidance. But then again, she states she’s been in the medical field for 38 years, which is 38 more than me. :smile: So yeah, I can’t say for sure. … And for Pete’s sake, put a disclaimer on that statement! :flushed::crazy_face::dizzy_face:

That’s all we need is another thread started… ‘Cause your own Whoosh’… Run into a tree!!! :smile:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not necessarily or should say, not always. - Not being hungry is indeed used as an indicator, but I think it also has a lot to do with the person themselves. … Like myself, I was already eating OMAD a lot of the time, or simply TMAD, before Keto. (Quite a few years of this actually) - But I was also eating an SAD diet, so no help when losing weight eating carby meals. - So when I switched over to this WOL I was already used to not always eating during the day and also not being hungry most times. (Even while eating SAD) So it was simply the types of food I was eating in those OMAD/TMAD that changed.

But yes, eating LCHF can/will decrease hunger for a lot of folks. (Can’t say all, since there are some who do say they are still hungry throughout the day, even after being on Keto for a while.) This could also have to do with other factors, such as how much they have to lose, etc. … So again, it will differ from person to person. But personally, I think those who find this ‘non-hunger’ sooner have a wee bit of advantage. But just my opinion. … Someone may come in & say they lost a lot & are still hungry mostly.

(robert) #19

PaulL, that was very funny about washing off 11 pounds of dirt, I can’t stop laughing, well done…

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #20

Is it possible to have a woosh more than once in a week? My weight fluctuates between 1-2 pounds each day. Last week I woke up and had lost 4 pounds on the scale, I waited for half to be gained back but only 1 pound came back. Few days later, woke up 4 pounds less and non have come back. But each time I felt bloated before it happened. Not that I’m complaining but is this possible?

(Jody) #21

LOVE that video!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Don’t see why not . . . :+1: