Strange sensation, body buzzing

(Diana Persson) #1

Hi! I’ve been doing Keto for 6 months and have been pretty successful in maintaining the recommended macronutrient ratio for my goals. I quickly achieved my desired weight loss of 12 pounds and continued on to weight maintainence. However right from the start I’ve experienced quite a strong buzzing or vibrating/tingling feeling throughout my body, most noticeable at night (even throughout the night) and very strong on waking. It comes and goes during the day. Early on, when the twitching in my calf muscles started I commenced Magnesium and Potassium supplements, but both the ‘buzzing’ and the twitches are still very much with me! My head feels clear, energy is good and my blood work is all normal. Does anyone else experience this, and how long should I expect it to continue… should I just get used to it?

About this tingly sensation

Very interesting! I thought I was the only one. I’m curious, are you a super sensitive person? Like if you have a drink you get drunk? Or if you take medicines they affect you very strongly? Because I am. :roll_eyes: I’ll tell you my story.
I started keto about a year ago and would get vibrations just like you. All day, all night, and even more pronounced upon waking, like someone was shaking the bed to wake me up. The higher my ketones, the worse the vibrations. In the last two months they stopped. Now it only happens if I binge on chocolate, because my sugar is probably high.
Here’s my theory, my nerves have finally adjusted or been repaired to the point that they work better now. I have started regular fasting, every third day I fast 24 - 36 hours. The fasting has made a difference in how well my body handles food. I can tell that things are running more smoothly in my system and I have even less body aches. The other day I was squatting on the flour with my 5 year old for like 5 minutes and got up with no knee pain and no effort. It amazed me.
If you still have muscle cramping, try some vitamin b1 and b12. My doctor recommended those because deficiency will cause nerve problems. Magnesium and potassium are great too. I now only take those 4 things if I’m having tingling or cramping for some reason.

When you say body buzzing, I know exactly what youre talking about. Its like this all over very high frequency vibrating feeling…its so weird and uncomfortable.

Ive experienced this before keto too because I have IBS. Cant say its the same reason you experience it, but sometimes when my intestines are in distress for whatever reason, it really does have an affect on the rest of my body and Ill get this buzzing/vibrating sensation in my legs and limbs.

It would also be accompanied by some dull pain right under my rib cage on the sides of my abdomen. My gastroenterologist said that the pain in those two specific spots (on the sides right under the ribs) is often your intestines. Food tries to work its way around the turns of your gut and you might feel it more intensely in those two spots because of the curvature.

Nerve damage?

(Bunny) #5

Seen this description before and inquisitively wondering if this could be the phrenic nerve (gallbladder) related (dull pain under lower part of rib cage) or B1 deficiency (pins and needles/buzzing/vibrating) or rapid depletion thereof (or both)? Body may need more glucagon (a little bit of protein intake) also rather than exogenic sugar?

Hmm well Ive had the corner rib cage pain without any buzzing and it hurts more when Im constipated. Ive also had the buzzing before I was on Keto which doesnt necessarily mean its not a gallbladder issue, but I wouldnt expect to experience gallbladder issues when I was eating a fraction of the fat before keto.

(Diana Persson) #7

Well, I am acutely aware of sensations and effects things have on me but I wouldn’t say I’m affected more than most people. Alcohol has only affected me more since being on keto, which is general too. Interesting thought about the nerve repair/adjustment and incidentally, since posting this about a month ago I’d say I’m noticing what I consider my constant friendly buzzing companion a bit less. I’m not stressed about it because my head is still clear, just curious. I take it as a sign that I am in ketosis, or perhaps that I am actually rendering my own body fat! When I buzz I try to think “ Yay, Ketones, Baby!!” (I don’t have any gall bladder symptoms, just tinnitus!) Seeing these other stories, I’m comforted that I’m not alone. I already take a multivitamin supplement but will try increase my Vitamin B intake and see what happens. (I add brewers yeast to my savoury baked goods and meat dishes :grinning: too). The fact is that my nutrition is probably better than it has ever been so I’m doubting that this sensation indicates a deficiency of any kind. I’m becoming aware of the complexity of our physiology, and logically it would take time for the body to adjust to such a huge dietary change.
Besides, a little buzz is so NOT going to turn me off this epic keto journey…

They say that gallbladder problems usually happen when someone is eating a low fat diet because the bile is not getting used enough and ends up sitting too long thus forming stones. But on a high fat diet the bile is getting used frequently and in greater quantity so it doesn’t get to sit around long enough to form stones or clogs in the duct. That’s what I’ve heard anyway :blush:
And the people I personally know that have had a gallbladder removed because of stones were on low fat diets pretty much their whole lives.

That’s great that your nutrition is better than ever. Good job!
On a keto diet we don’t hold onto water like on a glycolytic diet. When in ketosis, especially for a long time like days instead of just a few hours (for example if someone skipped breakfast and lunch and got into light ketosis but then ate pizza for dinner, versus being ketogenic for days or weeks), the cells in the body are flushed of water and with the water goes electrolytes. So if any tingling or numbness occurs I always take b1, b12, magnesium, potassium.
This is especially true if a person occasionally binges on chocolate or sweets like I do, because the cells are being flooded with water and then flushed again when back on keto. Thus the electrolytes get flushed out too.

(Diana Persson) #10

That makes perfect sense, thank you!

(Jen Andrew) #11

I feel that vibration at night and it interferes with my sleep, I don’t like this feeling at all.

(Laurie Luscombe) #12

I was so glad to find this forum describing a strange sensation and/or buzzing in your body. I have tried to figure out what the heck might be causing my symptoms. I couldn’t really figure out how to describe it to anyone. It comes on all of a sudden, I get slightly nauseated, I feel some ringing or buzzing in my ears, I get sudden strange/illogical thoughts that pop into my mind. It almost feels like an out of body experience that I just cannot explain to anyone. Feels like I’m going to be sick, but then it passes. A few months ago I had the same kind of symptoms but it stopped after a few days and didn’t happen again until early this morning. This bout isn’t as bad as the one a couple months ago, but it still feels very strange both mentally and physically. I am taking magnesium and potassium at night and a variety of supplements in the morning including K2, D3, Zinc, E, and A. I went for several months between bouts of this buzzing/tingling thing and then, all of a sudden, there it is again. I feel perfectly normal between the bouts that hit me. If I’m reading other posts correctly, are these symptoms due to a ketone surge?

(Diana Persson) #13

Laurie, I’ve tested my ketones specifically when I’ve felt this and they weren’t higher than normal, and I am mostly in ketosis. I’ve felt this less and less as by body weight settled down to no more losing. I can only put it down to it being more prominent when I’m actually burning body fat. I think it’s the ‘euphoria’ that some people describe, and we perhaps feel it more as a nerve sensation. Almost like an adrenaline surge, or an increase in metabolic activity. It comes and goes occasionally now, and I’d mostly feel it in the morning, on waking. I’ve made friends with it and just take it as a sign that keto is working for me. :wink:

(Laurie Luscombe) #14

Thank you, Dianna - I sure wouldn’t describe my symptoms as anything like euphoria, that’s for sure. For me this has been a downright scary thing every time it happens! The first time it happened I thought I was having a stroke or something. When this occurs, I have a moment of nausea, a few minutes where I can’t think straight, I get a flash of heat and weakness and have to sit down. Then gone as fast as it came!

Thank you your reply. I hope more people comment here as i’d Love to hear how others describe whatever it is that’s happening.

Happy Thanksgiving & Warm Regards,

Laurie Luscombe

That can happen with a drop in blood sugar - your liver then dumps some to bring your levels back up & it’s these swings that you feel. Once your body gets used to running in a lower range it usually calms down.

I have been experiencing this buzzing or vibration in my chest. It wakes me up and i experience a loss of balance, bumping the walls or dresser on the way to the kitchen.
I have checked my pulse/ox, and blood pressure and nothing unusual there. My FBG is in the usual range too, and it all clears up before the coffee is ready. Been worrying that something may be going wrong with my pump.

(Debby O'gorman) #17

Hi
Just found your post. I have been having similar symptoms for over 10 years. I have a pacemaker for heart block but that didn’t make a difference. I am not on a Keto diet my husband just found this forum after searching symptom after this last bout. Sometimes it is pretty mild and gone in a day this last one lasted 3 days. When I woke on the second day I really struggled to recall what I had been doing the day before. I also understand what you mean about the weird out of body feeling kind of like deja vu. I have had Thyroid and Adrenal checks last time they suggested Migrain but I have had Migrains and they don’t feel like this.

(Amy) #18

I had similar symptoms 3 years ago, when I wasn’t doing keto. I felt the buzzing at night, but during the day symptoms were more severe, accompanied by a drop in blood pressure, tachycardia, and IBS symptoms. Doctors prescribed anti-anxiety meds, which didn’t help. Never really figured out for sure what caused it, but I did figure out that it was triggered by caffeine, chocolate, and alcohol, but especially chocolate.

I also discovered that my ferritin (stored iron) was very low, which may have contributed. Bloodwork, including iron levels looked normal, until they tested my ferritin. Once I corrected that, the episodes slowly went away. May have been the iron, or maybe the fact that I started exercising more, eating healthier and meditating.