Stevia - Is it Causing Problems!

(Cheryl Hall) #1

A link to this podcast is on another thread but I wanted to post it here as well. As much as I don’t want This to be true I have to consider it for myself because I am one of those people who seem to be overly sensitive to anything sweet. I’ve hardly used any sweeteners at all since Starting Keto on May 28, 2017 and even before I had pretty much cut out the sweet stuff including artificial sweeteners because of the rise in blood Glucose I get from consuming them.

I’m sure there are those here that this doesn’t pose a problem for but I think we need to stay informed.

The podcast is the most recent about the dangers of Stevia. I don’t think I posted the link correctly.

[Direct link to podcast page - here. -carolt ]

:slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face:

What's worse for you occasionally: artificial sweetener or sugar?
2 Keto Dudes Episode Requests?
Sweeteners make you fat (or can help)
Insulin spike with sweeteners
(What The Fast?!) #2

I listened to this too!!! I’m trying really hard not to use any AS, but I think I’ll switch to erithrytol if I do use any.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

Many thanks for posting this one.

So glad I don’t have a troublesome sweet tooth, it sounds like all sweeteners will give the same bad results. Going to have to order the book to absorb all this information.

(Cheryl Hall) #4

@KetoLikeaLady – I have Swerve - I use it sparingly! Yikes! I just bought everything to make a Cheesecake too!

@collaroygal - I was thinking I need to get the book as well - Dr. Bruce Fife is a great advocate of Ketogenic Eating and quite the expert on Coconut Oil. I could tell he didn’t really want it to be true either when he started researching the subject yet he couldn’t ignore what he was finding.

I know everyone’s different… this research points in another direction:

Quoting from the abstract, it says, “Stevia preloads significantly lowered postprandial glucose levels compared to sucrose preloads (p < .01), and postprandial insulin levels compared to both aspartame and sucrose preloads (p < .05). When consuming stevia and aspartame preloads, participants did not compensate by eating more at either their lunch or dinner meal and reported similar levels of satiety compared to when they consumed the higher calorie sucrose preload.”

And also, this: "Additionally, stevia preloads reduced postprandial blood glucose and insulin levels, suggesting stevia may assist with glucose regulation. "

This was of course tested on sugar-burners, not people in ketosis. But this and my own glucose readings are enough to convince me that stevia is fine for me.

Plus, I grow it in my garden and am learning to make my own extract.

(Tom Seest) #6

I think the main harm that this podcast episode does for the movement, is that it is difficult to get newbies to start; let alone telling them they have to give up treats or sweets. As someone that has taken over a decade to lose the weight, I can give up sweeteners now with no problem, but back then, I may not have even started.

On a side note, I know some people are worried about the insulin response of things like Stevia. Keep in mind that even thinking about food can cause an insulin response, so there are bigger things to worry about.

Personally, I don’t see a day when we have a new Type 2 epidemic being caused by people using Artificial Sweeteners but I could be wrong.

I’m interested in following the science behind the claims though.

(Susan) #7

I listened to this yesterday…thought I was helping my husband by switching his Splenda to Truvia but may not be the case. I like Truvia because it doesn’t taste bitter to me (mainly use it in hot tea myself) and read a packet for the first time the other day. First ingredient is erythiol (sp?) and second is stevia, never would have guessed. Will focus more on stopping sweeteners altogether.

Erythritol is one of the alternative sweeteners that is considered most keto-friendly by some. It has carbs but they’re not digestible. It comes from natural sources, although it is highly processed. (I’ve heard no more processed than sugar, though, but haven’t researched that part.)

Edit: Oh, actually here’s a thing about how it’s made:

https://www.decodedscience.org/erythritol-made-manufacture-low-calorie-sugar-substitute/42248

Don’t know anything about the reliability of this source.

(Cheryl Hall) #9

@tdseest

Yes, I would agree that not being allowed sweets could make people not want to move forward with this diet. However, I am a newbie - only been at it since May 28th. I did cut the sugar from my diet completely and because I’ve been a diabetic for 30 years, I was pretty motivated to give this a go. I have noticed my blood Glucose spikes when I use sweeteners of any kind. Stinks really!!! It also spikes when I eat those little yellow, red and orange peppers dipped in blue cheese dressing! I love those little buggers!

My Doctor refused to do an Insulin test on me – but I’ve been wondering if I’m even making much Insulin anymore because when I get spikes like that the only way I can get it down is to take some Glyburide. I keep my carbs very low - some days at zero. Today, for instance, my carbs were zero but when I tested my my Glucose a bit ago it was 161mg. The only thing I did was drink a Kevita probiotic drink that I picked specifically because it had zero carbs.

I’m still trying to figure me out! :grinning:

(Cheryl Hall) #10

@gatita

Love that there are other studies contrary to what The Doctor presented in this Podcast. Guess we each need to test ourselves and see what works and what doesn’t.

I use Swerve – but I find most sweeteners have a weird aftertaste I’m not crazy about anyway. I am going to make that Cheesecake though – hopefully I can freeze it in portions and have some every now and then! :roll_eyes:

Bottom line!

(Sheri Knauer) #12

Yep. I agree too. I haven’t listened to that podcast yet (its on the “to-hear” list for tomorrow) but everyone is different and everyone reacts to foods/sweeteners, really anything you put in (and on) your body so you need to figure out how you react to a certain product, in this case sweeteners, then decide if its something you want to include in your diet on a regular basis, just on occasions, or give up altogether.

I agree everyone needs to test themselves. In my own N=1 experiment, I have found that the issue is more mental than physical. After having something made with Swerve each day for a week or so, my cravings were back, my mood was more variable, and worse I was always hungry. Yet, blood ketone tests showed I was still over 1.0 at all times. And my blood sugar stayed within the same range. Perhaps a tad higher on the upper end, but between 78-89. I am thinking the craving for sweets that occurred triggered the rest. Based on the podcast guess that a physical response could have been occurring as well.

(Solomom A) #14

They tested each sweetener for only a day. Wouldn’t base a life long dietary change on such a study.

Here’s a well-referenced discussion on the pros and possible cons of stevia. I find the possible effects on the microbiome interesting, and it may account for some of the individual reactions we see. Gut bacteria vary widely between people.

On a personal note, I found stevia/erythritol blend helpful in breaking my sugar habit when I started keto. After being keto for almost 1.5 years, my sweet tooth has diminished greatly and I rarely use it any more.

(jilliangordona) #16

I whole heartedly agree with this. In the beginning, I made lots of “newbie mistakes” that allowed me to keep going. I bought stevia with maltodextrin, made way too many keto treats, etc etc. If I hadn’t done those things, there is no way I would have stayed with it. Now what I’ve continued doing research and lots me appetite for sweets, it’s a whole different story.

I think it’s really important for some trial and error in the beginning of keto. Keep it simple and go from there

(KetoCowboy) #17

Nice pragmatic assessment. People have to find their own way, but comments like this one from Carol can definitely help them get their bearings.

(Solomom A) #18

The Science on Stevia is not sweet: https://youtu.be/AuLXCgcQScg A video just out from the neurologist Dr. Perlmutter.

(Randy) #19

In the video he only talks about artificial sweeteners.

Is Stevia not considered natural?

For the people who prefer a text version:

In a recent report in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, French researchers evaluated more than 66,000 women over a 14 year period and found that those who favored sugar sweetened beverages did in fact have an increased risk of T2D, by about 34%. Incredibly, those choosing artificially sweetened drinks had a risk increase for T2D that was more than twice what that amount. http://www.drperlmutter.com/artificial-sweeteners-threaten-health/

Another association, food survey study. Maybe fatter, sicker people just drink more diet soda. Correlation, not causation.