Stevia - Is it Causing Problems!

(Cheryl Hall) #21

I certainly drank lots of diet soda in the past thinking I was doing a good thing. And yes, I was fat and sick.:heart:️:heart:️

Fair point.

And as I said, they tested sugar-burners, not ketonians.

(Dr. Emily Franklin ) #23

I have seen a significant blood glucose drop (indicating an elevated insulin response) in myself and several of my patients after consuming stevia (as well as all the other “natural” noncaloric and/or low glycemic sweeteners such as erythritol, xylitol, monk fruit (luo han guo), Truvia, Better Than Sugar, etc.) So my feeling is that if one is really concerned about repairing their insulin sensitivity and are willing to forgo all sweeteners, they’ll get better results. BUT, compliance is definitely an issue for many. Better to use these sweeteners and make slower progress than not do keto at all and make minimal or no progress!!

(David) #25

I saw this in the paper today.

I also heard similar information backed up in this podcast about Stevia

[merged to existing topic - carolT]

(David) #26

From the podcast:
“When your tastebuds taste sugar then the signals in your body set the digestive tract to prepare for an income of glucose sugar calories. But, when those calories don’t come it causes stresses on the system, because the hormones that have been released have no glucose to work on. One of the consequences of this is an intensity in hunger and food cravings, so when you eat any kind of sugar substitutes it is actually going to stimulate hunger so you eat more calories.”

(Nick) #27

The podcast was a scaremongering disgrace. If you believe it, then you should also believe Ancel Keys and his whole lipid-hypothesis-caravan that followed, because the abuse of science to squeeze out a puritanical point is no different!

Basically, if this podcast convinced you to fear Stevia, you should also fear saturated fat. Same evidential deal!

(Solomom A) #28

I have seen a few threads on Artificial Sweeteners here, didn’t know Sweeteners could be that emotive. Can we keep it as a Scientific debate/discussion?

(Annie ) #29

And also people who reach for artificial sweeteners may also be following a low fat diet.

(Nick) #30

Studies suggest they very often are.

(A Very Hungry Bunny) #31

Same!! It’s definitely a mental thing for me - instead of kicking the dessert habit, it’s just replacing it with something else. It made it harder for me to determine real hunger. I’m about 2 weeks off sweeteners and it’s definitely getting better.

(Shell) #32

More interesting science on Stevia: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4842244/
This study is using rats…wish they had more human studies.

Conclusion
It is concluded that stevia acts on pancreatic tissue to elevate the insulin level and exerts beneficial anti-hyperglycemic effects through the PPARγ-dependent mechanism and stevia’s antioxidant properties.

(Nick) #33

All sorts of things can provoke insulin when prodded directly onto pancreatic tissue, including fats, ketones, salts and esters. Not particularly enlightening or revelatory that Stevia is one of them, frankly!