2 Keto Dudes Episode Requests?

ketopodcasts

I wasn’t against this thread. I was just pointing out that the topics that trend the most on this forum also provide the 2 keto dudes similar input. It’s another data point extracted in a different fashion, and comes from a larger sample size.

I’d be delighted to listen to podcasts discussing any topics that trend high on this forum. It’s a glimpse into what this community has the greatest collective concern/struggle/success/questions with. So, I would be interested in listening to a drill down on those topics and see how it helps this community.

That is a good point actually. What does maintenance look like if you got into keto for weight loss. THis has always been a huge thing for me being part of the WLS community too. We were all familiar with either losing or gaining weight but just staying the same? That actually takes some doing! There is also I think a real addictive side to losing/gaining weight in different ways and maintaining can be hard to acclimatise to from this perspective.

I would love to see an episode that talks about people who may struggle to actually maintain or gain weight with keto. We are all too familiar with losing weight but what if you really want to do keto but struggle with being underweight? It could also tie nicely in with eating disorders and keto.

Thyroid would be another as it interests me and I have Hashis.

Brain stuff! Depression, mood disorders, migraines, etc. Again because it is a part of my life and I find it interesting to see the impact keto has on this area.

(John) #11

I have a few of these! So I was super skinny as a kid, I had a last minute growth spurt in the military packing on 100 pounds in 3 years. When you aren’t constantly working out it definitely has an impact when it turns…squishier.

On the weird mental stuff I dislike my body more now at 15-20% bf than I did at 35%. This is the weight that was basically the tip over point for me last time, I didn’t lose it and just kept packing it on faster and faster after. Once I was fat I was just a fat guy, now that I am almost back to how I was my brain is just “you’re gonna screw it up”. Switching to maintenance will be difficult as I have no health reasons, it will be a lot easier for my limited willpower to give in when people want to have a cheat meal. I’ll be skinny, no real health issues etc.

I hear you. I did the same. I hit my target last year (probably around about now actually) of 10 stone (63kg). It was s illy number I had in my head but never thought I would get to so when I actually started to get pretty close and it became achievable it was very exciting. I hit it and stayed there for about 3 days, if that! Then I was like… soooooo what do I do now? I can do what I want right? It wasn’t an instant slide but it started going sideways. Those were my LCHF days and I hadn’t;t started reaping the other benefits that keto brought at that time - I was still getting a lot of migraines and depression, for example. Basically, by September I had put on a somewhat impressive (not in a good way) 15kg and got to 78. That was when I started keto. Now I am 69 and happy to let things fall where they fall weight wise. All the other things are what are more important to me now plus making this woe truly sustainable because I am on it for life now - there is no way I want my brain to go back down to this depths thanks! I have found the switch to working out the best eating plan that is sustainable has been good for me. I focus on eating what I want that makes me feel good, tweaking this and that and finding a sustainable plan. As long as I feel good that is what matters. My weight falls where it falls and that will be the right place for my body. It has gone through enough over the years so it is only right that it gets to decide! So you see, there is no willpower for me, only pleasure in food.

(Retta Stephenson) #13

I’ve enjoyed ALL the podcasts, always learning and picking up tidbits even from ones that I don’t especially relate to (like… young, strong athletes and how they do it).

But I LOVE hearing “success stories”. Real, everyday folks, doing Keto in real life. Very encouraging and motivating.

I also appreciate interviews with those successfully doing Keto and making healthy life changes IN SPITE OF their life circumstances. Overcoming things like age, mobility issues, health issues, money - or lack of it- issues, and any other challenges. People who have fought an uphill battle the whole way, and WON. I love hearing those, and have great respect for them.

I second the call on brain stuff like migraines and depression, because that’s why I went keto. Doing a podcast about people who are not T2D, who are otherwise physically healthy, doing this, would be really interesting, and might fit into a podcast about what happens when you’ve lost the weight you want to lose.

And based on recent experience, if there isn’t one on eating out, eating out!

(Mark Lewis) #15

I am currently on episode 23, working my way up from the beginning so I apologize if this has been covered. I am very curious to hear about IF meal planning. What do you eat, how much, if you were to track the nutrition info for those meals how much should you aim for.

I am relatively new to IF research but I have yet to see a meal plan or talk about how much to eat.

(Cathy) #16

I would love to hear an episode on the topic of pets and keto. I have mentioned before an organization call ketopet sanctuary. These folks are doing some amazing work (research) with dogs suffering from cancer Their results are very, very interesting. I think they deserve a shout out and it would be a real public service to share this information about what diet would be the healthiest for our beloved pets. Here is a link for those that want to know what I am talking about…

(melinda) #17

More female episodes!

I specifically want to look at a few issues:

How does estrogen affect ketosis

How does the menstrual cycle affect ketosis

Does anxiety/mental health issues and the associated hormones affect ketosis

What the f aren’t I fat adapted after doing keto the past 9 months?!

(betsy.rome) #18

Episode on supplements - expensive pee? or do some of them affect us in positive and dramatic enough ways to warrant the $ and effort involved. Studies not funded by companies or people who are selling supplements?

You will love episode 26! :heart:

I’d also love an episode on Leptin, or perhaps as a sub-topic of something else. In fact, it ties in with the End of Weight Loss theme because apparently Leptin sensitivity is more of an issue with people with low body fat percentages.

Episode 40 was on supplements. I guess there’s always room for another though. This is what I was thinking when requesting an episode on scurvy. I’ve heard some people say they got scurvy while ketogenic. So I’m wondering whether it’s an issue for some people and how we test and supplement if it’s appropriate.

So, maybe Testing and Supplementing would be a good episode. There’s some unique needs out there.

(Kanel) #22

I would also really like to see an episode about leptin! Thank you and keep up the awesome work @carl @richard

I think an interesting show could be based on the Gluten free diets/trend out there and how people that are going Gluten free are dangerously close to stumbling on the answer to their problems - carbs!

It (Gluten Free) also seems to be a more accepted diet for the “conventional wisdom” crowd. Might be another angle to bring more of the masses over to the Keto lifestyle?

(KetoCowboy) #24
  1. I would love to listen to an episode on potassium (not salt in general, but potassium in particular) and how we can know that we’re getting enough without running the risk of hyperkalemia, as reported here:
    About recommending electrolytes

2. I would love to see them dig in to stevia and the arguments made by Dr. Fife in the interview referenced here (possibly with Fife as a guest, though I might want to hear a different perspective):
    Stevia - Is it Causing Problems!

(Justin Traer) #25

I’d like to see an episode about how endocrine theory replaces CICO. I found the following video (which I found linked to from this forum) to be very informative:

I’d also like to hear more keto & fitness stories and science… I nearly skipped the ‘keto cycling’ podcast because I thought it was going to be about cycling in and out of keto! I ended up really enjoying it.

Other groups cover lifting and exercise while on keto but I’m skeptical of the science behind some of it. It’s just broscience at times or just n=1. I’m not against hearing out stores that are n=1 if that person has clearly done something right and the results speak for themselves.

(Jason Gooddy) #26

Hi guys thanks for all your work I use keto for Gilbert’s syndrome, it a liver disease , I have had great results on keto , and was wondering if you could shed some life on keto diet and it’s affects on the liver, as doctors as you know don’t know much other than what they are tought , Gilbert sufferers have lots of health problems to many to tell you about here , I just let you know keto has relived my symptoms I’ve had for over 20 years, and I was hoping you could help spread the word I’m doing what I can but only have a small audience, thanks again Jason from down under

(Splotchy) #27

I’m really grateful for the podcasts and @richard and @carl ‘s time and care with them. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone researching Autophagy. Surely there must be ongoing research on this, given the Nobel prize 2 years ago? The experience of people who have done Keto for some time would also be interesting (on tags, wrinkles, loose flesh).