Starving yourself on keto is stupid

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #42

Awesome. Itā€™s a little more expensive but whatā€™s money on good health!!. Will try and eat as much fresh non packaged food as I can.:avocado::broccoli::cut_of_meat::bacon:

(Marianne) #43

I didnā€™t read the responses after this, and Iā€™m sure you got a lot, however, I am always happy to share my experience!

Please donā€™t count calories - I know, this is counterintuitive to everything we have ever learned up to now about losing weight. Eat three meals a day to start, even if you never did before. This will eliminate hunger and cravings for things you donā€™t want to get into.

Once you get acclimated and your body doesnā€™t want to eat as often or as much, then you can go to two meals a day. No snacks; your meals should be ample enough to sustain you more than comfortably until your next meal. Keep the carbs under 20 and lower, if you can. Meet and/or exceed your fat and protein macros a day - donā€™t be afraid of this. Drink plenty of water and get enough salt. Donā€™t weigh yourself compulsively. Read dietdoctor.com for more information. Trust that it will work.

Eat clean food and make your meals any combination of these: meat, pork, chicken, mayo, full fat salad dressing (home made is best - very easy), eggs, heavy cream, pepperoni, bacon, sausage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, salad greens, tuna, etc. This are just some of the main foods I enjoy, but you get the idea. If you arenā€™t sure of the macro values (protein, fat, carb grams), look up a single serving on google.

The most important thing is to eat and keep the carbs under 20g/day.

Good luck. Trust that it will work. If you like these food choices and rich food, you are well on your way.

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #45

Whatever floats your boat dude, we are all different. How exactly is Keto so hard to stick to? Iā€™m less hungry and enjoying decent food without having to starve myself. Itā€™s no fad diet, itā€™s a lifestyle. What the heck are ya doing on a keto Forum if your so against it?? :smiley::joy:. Not being rude, just an honest question.

(John Linnon) #47

For one reason, the title of this string is ā€˜Starving yourself on Keto is stupidā€™. So that doesnā€™t seem to regard Keto very highly. Also- eating a lot of bad fats are supposed to clog your arteries, and are bad on the heart. I think the balanced diet, (with lectin-reduced grains), makes more sense, like the article states.

You had a try at Keto, it didnā€™t work for you. What now? You have to eat (eventually)
(Keto Koala šŸØ) #48

I was referring to calorie counting dude!! Donā€™t undereat and put yourself in starvation mode. You never answered the question. If you hate this lifestyle so much, why be here!!:joy:.

(John Linnon) #49

Didnā€™t you read my last comment? Iā€™m trying to point out things to people who may be screwing up their health. Iā€™m trying to help them. As in the saturated fats clogging arteries. YOU"RE the one who didnā€™t answer me on that. And I was talking about the title of this thread, about starving yourself on Keto, not what you said about counting calories.

You had a try at Keto, it didnā€™t work for you. What now? You have to eat (eventually)
(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #50

No, it meants the OP decided Keto plus calorie counting doesnā€™t work well. Not everyone agrees, but many people do. For most people, eating a Keto diet to satiety without restricting calories works much better.

With regard to saturated fats, you might find this interesting.

Another thing to keep in mind, this is a place for civil discourse. You donā€™t have to agree with others here to post. You do have to keep it civil. Convince others with facts, not belittling.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #51

@london2z Cease and desist. Youā€™ve posted the same comments on multiple topics. Thatā€™s rude and obnoxious. Please stop it. If you want to convince us of our folly, start your own topic and state your case. Stop trying to derail existing topics with your current pet theory.

(Polly) #52

This is such good advice! It is the key to successful keto in my opinion. Thanks @gingersmommy Marianne for putting it so well.

The same ā€œlong termā€ bull crap was spouted off twenty five years ago. They know the long term results of eating low carb and if they had the negative effects that they try to scare people with it would be cited. The diet that the health industry continues to push has been a huge failure. Just look at the skyrocketing amount of obesity and obesity related diseases. One thing that is certain is that poor health is a big money maker.

(John Linnon) #54

Honestly, I donā€™t know if the article I quoted is right, or if Iā€™m right or wrong, or if Keto is right or wrong. And sorry, but if I see something that seems to not add up about the way that I, or others, are doing things, then I feel itā€™s almost my duty to get it out to the public, and let them decide. I realize I donā€™t know much about physiology, but I do have the knowledge that Iā€™ve gained from my personal experience. Good health to you!

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #55

strong text[quote=ā€œlondon2z, post:54, topic:96736, full:trueā€]
Honestly, I donā€™t know if the article I quoted is right, or if Iā€™m right or wrong, or if Keto is right or wrong. And sorry, but if I see something that seems to not add up about the way that I, or others, are doing things, then I feel itā€™s almost my duty to get it out to the public, and let them decide. I realize I donā€™t know much about physiology, but I do have the knowledge that Iā€™ve gained from my personal experience. Good health to you!
[/quote]

Haha thatā€™s ok. We are all different with different needs for our bodyā€™s. Iā€™m glad you found what works for you. No hard feelings there at all. Good health to you too :smiley:

(Windmill Tilter) #56

It might not be as bad as you think. Itā€™s not uncommon for people to overestimate the extent and persistence if metabolic adaptions after weight loss, even after ā€œstarving oneself on ketoā€. :slight_smile:

To measure the magnitude of your metabolic adaptation, plug your data (height, weight, age) into a mifflin st jeor calculator. This will tell you what the expected RMR value is. What is it?

The RMR is only half the story, because it represents your energy expenditure assuming you were basically in a coma all day. The more important number is your total daily energy expenditure TDEE. This is generally done with a multiplier based on your actity level during the day. I would guess that yours would be 1.5 at a minimum based on what you describes. That would place your TDEE at 2450kcal/day. This is your maintenance calorie level, and a logical daily kcal target to hit to normalize your RMR.

Also, unless you had an actual BMR (not the less rigorous though similar RMR) done in a metabolic ward, assume a margin of error of at least 5%. If you did it in a clinic and you were hooked up to the repirator for less than 25 minutes, increase that margin if error. They reduce the test cycle duration to push more clients through at the expense of accuracy. Indirect calorimeters targeted at doctors offices and weight loss clinic often has this ā€œfeatureā€ (mine does). Even assuming a 5% error, you could get a reading of 1700, but the true RMR could be as high as 1775kcals.

Check the Mifflin St Jeor prediction and let us know. It might not be that far off.

At sedentary those calcs get me about right, but with any activity multiplier added in, even less than what my activity level actually is it goes pretty far off pretty quickly. I want to say I did 20 mins, so that fits.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #58

That calculater doesnā€™t factor in metabolic adaption, and thatā€™s what itā€™s all about.

I am cold a LOT after 2 months of high protein (near carnivore, probably 60% from fat but I didnā€™t count), so I guess my RMR dropped. But as to the extend, your guess is as good as mine. Iā€™m actually back on 2 meals a day (used to do OMAD) normal keto with less protein in the hope of getting out of that hole againā€¦

Once in a while I just take some heavy cream, add some plain cocoa powder, and whip it up. Makes a decadent chocolate mousse. I donā€™t even need a sweetener in there at all.

(J.P. Wells) #60

You definitely dont have to starve yourself. Eat average sized portions and you will do great! :wink: Now this is not to say its impossible to ā€œover eatā€. You cannot just go crazy with it, but definitely sensible portions and you will never have an issue of eating ā€œtoo muchā€

J.P. Wells

(Windmill Tilter) #61

Metabolic adaptation is a bit of a nebulous term. In the literature, it refers to a variety of things. The definition Iā€™m working with is: Mifflin St Jeor predicted RMR based on height, weight, age and the actual metabolic rate measured via indirect calorimetry. If MSJ predicts a RMR of 1700kcal/day and your measured RMR is 1700, by this definition your RMR is ā€œnormalā€ and you donā€™t have a material metabolic adaptation. (This discounts the possibility that you began with an abnormally high RMR and regressed to normal, but since we donā€™t know what your RMR was originally itā€™s a moot point).

If on the other hand your predicted RMR is 1900kcal/day and your measured RMR is 1700kcal/day, then the magnitude of your metabolic adaptation is 200kcal/day. If this is the case, itā€™s something youā€™ll definitely want to address.

What does MSJ predict you RMR should be? What was your measured RMR? Quantifying the magnitude of the metabolic adaptation will give you a sense of whether or not itā€™s worth the effort raise your RMR. Long term calorie restriction can lower RMR, but that doesnā€™t mean that the effect is permanent or that it cannot be raised.

(John Linnon) #62

All Iā€™ve done is post my own experiences with combining facets of different diets, and was censored. Iā€™m the one who has been belittled by others, because they donā€™t agree with me. Nobody has a lock on the truth. Itā€™s about looking at all the angles, using judgment and experimentation. There are others who agree with me on this forum, and they werenā€™t criticized.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #63

You, know, you are right. I wasnā€™t clear there the the reminder to keep it nice wasnā€™t aimed only at you, it was for everyone.