You had a try at Keto, it didn’t work for you. What now? You have to eat (eventually)

(Bunny) #47

More like not finishing what’s on there plate. And yes still feeling a little hungry!

When I eat I can kind of get a feel when I’m half full and kind of judge from the amount like the palm of the hand but that is something I would not do with processed foods.

(John Linnon) #48

I started with a low carb GAPS diet, which enabled me to lose 35 lbs. But then I couldn’t digest, so I went to a more balanced diet, with the reduced lectin grains, and less fat. Since then, I have had little appetite, I suppose because my digestion has been more even and slow burning.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #49

@london2z Cease and desist. You’ve posted the two same comments and variations on multiple topics. That’s rude and obnoxious. Please stop it. If you want to convince us of our folly, start your own topic and state your case. Stop trying to derail existing topics with your current pet theory.

You are right John. One has to find their way to their best way of eating through a number of stages, usually defined by knowledge steps, and sometimes self experimentation while observing changes in measurements (biomarkers) e.g. waist measurement, or the old classic: fitting into the ‘skinny’ jeans (those jeans you had when you back packed around [insert adventure here] in the 1990’s.)

I think you can. Some people do not recognise sections of the carbohydrate containing substances as foods. If what you eat has a large physiological response in your body the eaten substance can be considered a pharmaceutical. That is some ingested substances can have a stronger drug-like response in the body that outweighs the nutrient value. This is nuance bordering on pedantic, but when the borderlines are drawn and recognised, some clarity can result. So, if grains in the diet that have been processed in a particular way and are ingested in a measurable physiological dose (e.g. creating a large insulin spike, or dopamine release etc), they can be regarded as other than food for that person. Dr. Robert Cywes follows that theme in his addiction approach to food stuffs.

I have considered saturated fats, cholesterol and clogged arteries a lot. In particular the coronary arteries that supply blood to heart muscle in coronary artery disease. I’d be interested to know how you understand the links work between the three components. It is such a deep and interesting topic.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/search?q=saturated%20fat%20coronary%20artery%20disease

Michael, Could you copy and paste John’s theory? Just to clarify your post. is it the grains and the saturated fats comments?

This isn’t a newbie thread, so if John hasn’t got all the science yet sorted out he won’t be confusing anyone as he discusses it.

But you are right, if John is peppering a number of topics with his ideas, a thread of his own may be warranted.

@london2z if you click the " + New Topic" button on the home page we can meet you there in that topic to chat about things we know and have learned.

OK Michael I can see you typing. I have had a look around and can see that John improved his health in an interesting dietary way without diving fully into a known version of a ketogenic diet but he has some ideas about saturated fats that need expanding upon. Maybe also some myths that need busting.

I saw @Ruina posted Low Carb video lecture as a resource for John in another thread.

Sorry to put you to the task. I can see your reply post just arrived. Thanks for putting it together.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #52

@FrankoBear He’s posted the following and variations multiple times in different topics.
Here - Here - Here - Here - Here - Here - and maybe others I haven’t seen yet.

Who’s to say for sure? You CAN get your proteins from vegetables and fruits, instead of scarfing down meats and fats. But I do a little of everything. One strip of turkey bacon, and one egg per day for dairy, and Swiss cheese. I’m not so sure the Keto diet is a good plan, but it may be going in the right direction. This article is from www harvard.edu, entitled: Ketogenic diet. Is the ultimate low carb diet good for you?
‘A ketogenic diet could be an interesting alternative to treat certain conditions, and may accelerate weight loss. But it is hard to follow and it can be heavy on red meat and other fatty, processed, and salty foods that are notoriously unhealthy. We also do not know much about its long-term effects, probably because it’s so hard to stick with that people can’t eat this way for a long time. It is also important to remember that “yo-yo diets” that lead to rapid weight loss fluctuation are associated with increased mortality. Instead of engaging in the next popular diet that would last only a few weeks to months (for most people that includes a ketogenic diet), try to embrace change that is sustainable over the long term. A balanced, unprocessed diet, rich in very colorful fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fish, whole grains, nuts, seeds, olive oil, and lots of water seems to have the best evidence for a long, healthier, vibrant life’.
Personally, lately I haven’t been charting my calories, or grams of fats, proteins, and carbs. But I’ve been eating a diet pretty close to what this article suggests, except that the whole-grains I eat are sprouted or soaked grains to reduce lectins, I hope. Also sourdough bread. I have coconut and tapioca flours in my diet. And I eat soaked and boiled legumes. No sugar or processed veggie oils. The percentage of carbs I eat are higher than the Keto diet. And the percentage of fats and proteins are lower. Yet, since the intro gaps diet 18 months ago, and my initial weight loss of 35 lbs in a few months, I’ve kept the weight off, and without resorting to a strict Keto diet. Also, my health issues have dwindled down to almost nothing over the last 18 months.

oh no problem at all on that :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I get it with the new board and all!!

I won’t get into it but you are now chatting with a full blown hardcore carnivore eater here and I know you can discard whole food groups like grains very easily LOL I don’t want to do the plants are bad debate tho but for me my science differs a lot of others here :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I can’t go down this road of how great a fermented grain can be for a person HAHA
I am bowing out now LOL

(Bunny) #54

Or the skinny jeans buried deep in the closet

omg spaceb!! that is sooooo funny! gave me a good laugh this morning!

I just can’t resist… But my useless (well, I practiced the language and other things I guess and expressed myself) arguing years are over.

And most of us here think and know very well that we can.
I badly need extreme low-carb on most days to feel right. Grains has little chance, just like vegetables…
Yeah, I heard this argument many times: they have nutrients. And what? we don’t need to eat everything with some kind of nutrients (especially that definitely toxic plants have nutrients too). We just need to get the nutrients somewhere. And it’s ridiculously easy without grains. No food group is needed for survival and in many cases, thriving, it seems.

I’ve read about cholesterol a lot, yes, do the same, there are even videos for dummies but you can look up the information, I don’t say believe them right away. Cholesterol is extremely important, we wouldn’t survive without lots of cholesterol even for a very little time, beheaded people have a way longer life expectancy (well, a somewhat working brain is living to me here)… Cholesterol molecules aren’t all the same, not all type clog arteries and it’s not the saturated fat in our diets that causes problems (though I have no idea what happens with seriously messed up bodies. I am healthy and handle even lots of saturated fat just fine. But I eat WAY less saturated fat on keto/carnivore than on a high-carb or low-carb mostly vegetarian diet anyway, those were my previous diets, very nutritious and very fatty ones).

Where and when do you get your information from? The popularity of the very unscientific “cholesterol is bad” bullshit diminished… decades ago? I don’t even know why it was popular but I guess people must blame something and they loved sugar too much for it or something. And yes, the cholesterol did bad things but the logical jump that much saturated fat is necessarily bad was unscientific. It’s more complicated than that, obviously, it’s our body, we can’t just draw conclusions while looking a tiny, isolated information.

(John Linnon) #58

Whatever works for you. I just wanted to point out what I learned from Dr. Gundry about lectins, and since grains help my digestion, I figured that the way to go would be to still have the benefits of eating grains, but with less lectins. As for fats, not that I believe all that I read, but Wikipedia seems to be a fairly objective source of information. Saturated fat and cardiovascular disease:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most medical, scientific, heart-health, governmental, and professional authorities agree that saturated fat is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, including the World Health Organization,[1] the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academy of Medicine,[2] the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics,[3] the Dietitians of Canada,[3] the Association of UK Dietitians,[4] the American Heart Association,[5] the British Heart Foundation,[6] the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada,[7] the World Heart Federation,[8] the British National Health Service,[9] the United States Food and Drug Administration,[10] and the European Food Safety Authority.[11] All of these organizations recommend restricting consumption of saturated fats to reduce that risk.

(Susan) #59

He is a scammer and a quack-- he is a pro at conning everyone out of their money and he is the biggest hypocrite of a doctor and is always contradicting himself. He is not a Keto doctor by any means so his name or his programs or spam have no place on a Ketogenic forum -he is a JOKE!!!

(John Linnon) #60

Interesting. Dr. Gundry’s plant paradox diet seems very similar to the Keto diet, as he also omits grains. Which is where I disagree with him, as I’ve read that you can eliminate lectins in grains by sprouting or soaking: The Plant Paradox diet calls for avoiding lectins by cutting out a long list of foods, including nightshades (think: eggplants, tomatoes, red peppers), out-of-season fruits, grains, and raw legumes, to reportedly reduce inflammation, repair gut health, and prevent weight gain. Allowed: You can also eat all forms of animal protein, such as fish, beef, chicken, and eggs. Fats, such as those found in avocados, butter, and olive oil, are allowed on the lectin-free diet, as are many types of nuts such as walnuts, pecans, pistachios, pine nuts, flax seeds, hemp seeds, sesame seeds, and Brazil nuts.
I think the bottom line is, do the research, look at all sides, and do what your gut(sorry) tells you to do.

(Susan) #61

This is Keto, it is very different from what Gundry promotes.

He also self-promotes all his own garbage products and pills -talks about them more then food —

(John Linnon) #62

There are some things I agree, and disagree with, in both Gundry’s diet, and the Keto diet. So I sort of combine parts of different diets. I hope the Keto diet works for you and anyone else who tries it.

hey hey Mom tell us how you really feel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: cool! Let’er rip!! :slight_smile:

I looked at Dr.Gundry’s lectin’s list of “no” foods and removed those from the diet. When it comes to lectins, he makes some very valid points.
@Momof5 Susan, why are you so angry with him? I must have missed something, I would really love to know. :slight_smile:

We have a troll on the forum. Probably a person that holds up the signs in the “don’t eat meat” protests. Jumping on multiple posts talking about a balanced diet. Really weird that you would join a forum that you obviously disagree with. Sad, that we have people trying to better their health and this guy comes on here trying to persuade them not to eat in a way that is working for them. Nobody is listening to you dude.

(John Linnon) #67

There are others who agree with me in this forum. You and others like you just don’t want to see the possibility that you might be wrong, at least on some of the aspects of the Keto diet.

(John Linnon) #68

Thanks! I wish I could say that the truth hurts, to those who don’t agree with me. But I don’t have a market on the truth, just as nobody else does, either. That’s the reason that there is the internet, and discussions like this. Getting at the truth doesn’t help when certain views that may differ are censored.