Starving yourself on keto is stupid

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #22

I agree. However, hunger changes for many people. For me, I have that tiny little itch in my stomach when I get up or sometimes during the day, which will disappear quickly enough without eating (or perhaps with a coffee with just a tablespoon of heavy cream, which is my morning routine anyway). And then there is another form of hunger which I usually get about 24h after my last meal, which is much more intense and is the signal for me to eat. I’m ignoring the first signal and eating OMAD right now.

So basically, eat when hungry but make sure it’s hunger alright and not a teensy weensy little signal from your stomach.

Time to stop drinking water? Never. Drink whenever you feel like it. Water is irrelevant, only fat counts. The scale might show a couple of pounds more, but so what? The amount of fat has not changed. If you have to go to the loo too often that’s a sure sign that you didn’t drink enough during the day and you made up for it in the evening. But give your kidneys a chance to eliminate the stuff that it needs to get out of your body, and kidneys do need plenty of water for that.

Eating late is OK, but it may make it harder to fall asleep for some people. As long as you stick to the “eat when hungry”, if you eat late then you’ll probably not be hungry before afternoon on the next day…

(Keto Koala 🐨) #23

Hey is it ok if I eat 10 or so more grams protein than I’m meant to. It’s SO confusing

@Scobie
When I feel the urge for chocolate, I make myself an almond milk “milk shake” by adding sweetener, vanilla extract, and some sugar free cocoa. In fact, it tastes too rich for me so I water it down and add ice.

(Anne) #25

Ummm… yumm!

@Scobie
Of course its not chocolate, but it is so rich that it does the trick for me. I also use cream cheese with vanilla and sweetener to make a “make believe” cheesecake. Also very rich. I think the richness of the foods we eat makes up for the difference when we modify foods to replace something else.

I would personally call 1300 way to low. I don’t give a lot of RDAs credit for much, but I agree with the 2000 cal being a good baseline for almost anybody. I was never hungry either and easy to satisfy, which was my downfall as it enabled me to continue that for a very long time. Think of it this way, before I started working on my metabolic rehab, my RMR was 1700, so I only had 400 cals more than you, as a 5’9" dude, physical job, lifting 4x/week and cardio on 2 days. That number seemed to be pretty damn accurate too, around 1800-1900 I’d stall and start gaining. Pretty soon I’m going to get re-tested to see what I’ve gained but definitely keep an eye on it. What really pissed me off was I should have picked up on the fact that if I was never hungry, and it took so little to satisfy me because I was supposedly burning so much stored fat for fuel… why wasn’t I progressing towards my goal anymore? In hindsight it’s all clear as day and all the signs where there the whole time.

sounds good :slight_smile: take your time tho. get yourself nice and happy and controlled more etc. and then experiment a bit on yourself. you can combine some keto days with carnivore days etc…then if you feel like it go all in carnivore. Nice thing is you have options and can do them in any way that works for you!

sure. in fact protein is a key for your body. protein and fat your body does want so if you have macros or whatever in your keto, sure a little over on those won’t hurt ya…in fact a lot of people truly eat too low in protein.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #30

I make chocolate :slight_smile:
Cocoa, cocoa butter, vanilla, sweetener and some other ingredients (nuts, coconut etc.). Also works as white chocolate if you replace cocoa with milk powder.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #31

Thanks. I find that too little meat leaves me too hungry. I hate counting macros but I’m sure it will just become a habit. I guess it just gives me a basic idea of what I’m consuming but I don’t think it’s 100% accurate because on all these keto apps, the exact same product has different macros. Wtf.

I will be trying that one day. ( Just not epserate rough right now-LOL)

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #33

You don’t have to count macros, and I wouldn’t advise it to anybody because it’s just so cumbersome. But it does help to think about macros occasionally if you don’t achieve the desired effect. If weight loss stalls for several weeks, then it’s time to check if you might eat too much carbs (or calories).

However, it’s so crucial to know that calories are only half of the story. Different types of fats will have the same calories but completely different metabolic effects.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #34

Crap, I tried really hard to eat enough today but my total calorie count was only 900 calories. I understand from all the info I’m getting that calories are insignificant and stupid to count, I’m trying to heal my “calorie fearing mindset from years of anorexia”. My carb tracker app says to eat under 1600 cals a day so it’s confusing as hell. Plus some keto websites say that you still need to be in a defecit to lose weight… My Mum’s boyfriend says “Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has them” :joy::joy::joy:. I find that I’m just not hungry, I’m not sure if it’s the heatwave in Australia right now or the fact that I’ve been doing this for 9 days. Who knows. All I know is strangely enough, I was hungrier when I was eating crap. Pizza and bread and candy ect. I get a bit overwhelmed by all the different info. But I’m sure I will learn along the way xx I ate until satisfied though and added fats and protein in my diet.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #35

Is meat in packets ok?? It says on the back under 1gram of carbs and under 1gram of sugar, it’s just that somebody said that company’s can lie.

yea apps etc can get confusing. I dropped all those apps from my life but I am a lot of years on plan now so…a lot of people love or ya hate them :slight_smile:

but yea meat and good fat is key. Yes put priority on good meat for sure. Cuts you love to eat. Not a darn thing wrong with that and if you are getting hungrier, it is cause your protein and fat could be too low…eat more :slight_smile: You can never go wrong when starting any eating change, just eat as much of the on plan good foods you are allowed. It helps us get thru the changes.

you got this!! just roll slow thru it all, eat any time you are hungry, just let it happen and don’t fight it all and go crazy over apps, kcals and all. Just be happy doing it ya know :slight_smile: You will truly find your way thru the changes. Your body will say feed me or it will say I am not hungry and just listen. You will be fine!

yes they are ok…but they are kinda in the ‘meat junk food’ category LOL

in that packaged, deli meats and more are processed more. Leave these to be more of a ‘snack if needed’ but don’t focus it as your main meal meat for the day. If ya can buy fresh meats/seafood and cook those up.

if you buy a fresh cut of steak and cook and eat, you will do way better for your body on it vs. packaged, deli style type meats.

but some do very well on it, but most find they need more dense, fresh cuts of meats. Like me, heck I could live on salami but I have to say it never satisfies me ever. I need a ribeye steak to do that :slight_smile:

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #38

Anything with a long shelf life will have preservatives, possibly emulsifiers, food colors and whatnot. Look at the ingredients, make sure there are at least no emulsifiers and vegetable oils in there. There are many artificial ingredients where we don’t know how they affect us.

Personally I buy 100% of my meat and most of my other food fresh. Eat food that will spoil after a few days, obviously before it’s spoiled. A freezer helps with this approach.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #39

[quote=“Fruno, post:38, topic:96736, full:true”]

Anything with a long shelf life will have preservatives, possibly emulsifiers, food colors and whatnot. Look at the ingredients, make sure there are at least no emulsifiers and vegetable oils in there. There are many artificial ingredients where we don’t know how they affect us.

Personally I buy 100% of my meat and most of my other food fresh. Eat food that will spoil after a few days, obviously before it’s spoiled. A freezer helps with this approach.
[/quote po Would it be better if I went to the butcher?

(Keto Koala 🐨) #40

I’m going to start going to the butcher. Can’t get fresher than that. :meat_on_bone:

and make that person a good friend :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
having that person on your side is never a bad thing LOL
My meat guy is fab. Tells me ahead of time what is going on sale, what is not great this go around and pass it on by, will cut meat as I request when he won’t do it for others and more :slight_smile: So this is a good friend to have!! hey sometimes it is who ya know right? heehee