Starting Completely Over

(Dawn) #1

I used to be so very active here, but I have fallen off and my health has paid the price. I am going to do everything I possibly can to get back on track and try to lose the 70 pounds that I have gained. I feel horrible, my aches hurt, my digestion is a mess and I look horrid. I could use any support and encouragement that anyone has to offer. I am scared that this is my last chance to get this right.

(Alex) #2

Hi Dawn :slight_smile: Iā€™ve started over many times, although I donā€™t think we ever truly start over, just return to the path after spending some time getting sidetracked.

I know how you feel right now, and all I can say is hold in your heart and mind that the way you feel will change if you change your diet and lifestyle.

Xmas last year I fell hard into the bottom of the rum bottle and suffered from that and the poor food choices that came with it. Then 2020 happened, my job dissapeared, I had gained 45lbs, felt horrible, was in constant pain and at some points didnā€™t know if I could ever get back to where I had been the year before.

I had a few months of slow progress where I was frustrated with myself for sabotaging my health and choosing sugary foods when I was stressed, and then sticking with keto or zc for a few weeks, then eating chips, repeat. This might sound disheartening but I donā€™t see it that way. The only thing that matters is that keep at it, every day is a chance to get it right. Being mindful when I found myself ā€˜slipping upā€™ helped me learn my triggers for comfort eating and over time I learned to indulge that need in other ways like a hot shower or a good steak.

Now, 6 months later I have lost the weight I gained, am not in pain, and I feel good about myself and my life again :slight_smile:

I totally believe you can do it!

(Dawn) #3

thank you so much. This is what I needed. I honestly donā€™t know what happened to me. I was the biggest advocate and a great success story and then two years later I feel like a complete failure. I will take your words to heart and remember that each day is a new day. I am just worried about running out of days and being stuck with regrets. Thank you so much for the motivation. I truly appreciate you

(Alex) #4

I ruminated on this thought a lot. The thing I found with the worrying too is that it made me feel so awful about myself that I wanted to eat my feelings and bodyweight in chocolate even more, and the more I told myself Iā€™d failed the easier it became to justify not trying. Failure implies game over and itā€™s never game over as long as weā€™re still alive.

What really helped me, was to reframe what I saw as failure or making the ā€˜wrongā€™ choices as just not having enough in that moment to give to make the optimum choice. If you have a day where you find yourself having eaten a bowl of icecream because you were feeling exhausted and overwhelmed and sad, being kind to yourself despite the urge to self shame can help avoid the second bowl of icecream.

Itā€™s a sidestep from eating really, but Tara Brachā€™s talks on compassion and how to use the RAIN (Recognise, Allow, Investigate, Nurture) technique when we feel overwhelmed or full of shame have really changed the way I treat myself to more like I would an old friend and itā€™s kept me going despite many frustrating setbacks. I think if Iā€™d viewed them as failures Iā€™d still be bingeing on chocolate and hating myself.

Also sometimes life just happens! Youā€™re here now and that what matters :slight_smile:

(Brian) #5

Hi Dawn,

Just eat keto today. Donā€™t give much thought to what you did 6 months ago or 6 weeks ago, good or bad. Just do today. Eat well. Eat good food, but eat the kinds of stuff thatā€™s good for you. If you can fast for a few days, great. If you canā€™t, donā€™t sweat it, just eat well when you do eat. Maybe try not to do the ā€œgrazingā€ thing and have real and substantial meals less often. But make it about eating well today. No amount of torturing yourself will change yesterday, it just wonā€™t. Donā€™t focus on that. Just do today. And then when tomorrow comes, just do it again. If you mess up once in a while, youā€™re human, just like the rest of us. LOL!! Just keep coming back.

Stuff happens. Life happens. And sometimes it can be kinda messy. But youā€™re gonna be ok. Just do today. :slight_smile:

(Alex) #6

Totally agree:) although I would wait until youā€™re fat adapted to do any food restriction as being super hungry and craving carbs is a tough combination.

(Brian) #7

Thatā€™s true, Alex. I wasnā€™t sure where Dawn might be exactly. I know some people have an easier time with fasting then others. Iā€™m not one that does it that often but love that I can do it pretty easily.

Iā€™m on a sort of ā€œmodified fastā€ right now myself, just because I felt like I wanted to. I ate breakfast on Monday morning and since then have just been having my morning coffee. I canā€™t do it black so a little cream and stevia is how I take it. Just the normal amount, and all at one sitting, at breakfast time, not sipped on all day. And Iā€™m amazed at how great I feel, that Iā€™m not hungry, and that I have plenty of energy. I have in mind to have supper with my wife (sheā€™s away on a short trip so itā€™s just meā€¦ and I DO know how to cook, LOL!) on Thursday evening. So thatā€™ll be maybe 80 hours or so, give or take a little. And itā€™s not truly a ā€œwater fastā€ since Iā€™ve continued my morning coffee. But Iā€™d like to think itā€™s a good thing. The scale has gone down a little, not a lot. And thatā€™s fine. I notice it a little in the mirror. But mainly, Iā€™ve been kinda feeling like I needed to take a break with the food even though I generally have been eating low-carb. Funny thing is, habit is probably my biggest reminder that I havenā€™t eaten. Once I get busy with something else, Iā€™ll forget completely. Dunno, maybe that means Iā€™m ā€œfat adaptedā€. (?) Itā€™s just not something I worry about. And, if I get hungry tomorrow morning, I wonā€™t get dogmatic about that 80 hours, Iā€™ll have something. But as things are going, Iā€™m just fine.

Anyway, just sharinā€™. :slight_smile:

(Alex) #8

Iā€™d say youā€™re definitely fat adapted if you can casually go 80 hours without food! I get the feeling like I need to take a break from food sometimes too, give my digestive system a break. I rarely make it beyond dinner though as my body always expects dinner, so it works out as the occasional spontaneous omad I guess.

I only highlighted it from your post because itā€™s easy to forget how much going without food sucks when youā€™re not fat adapted. I think itā€™s good advice if someoneā€™s been doing keto for months and have just had a carb filled holiday weekend they want to bounce back fast from, but for beginners itā€™s more headaches and fixation on food than feeling great and full of energy. At least that was my experience when I tried to fast my way back into keto adaptation after 4 or 5 months off!

Also, focusing on doing your best today is a great ethos :slight_smile:

(Scott) #9

Make note of how you feel health wise and write your thoughts down. Have it as a reminder or motivator if you ever feel yourself slipping back. You know from all the success here that you not only can but you must do this. Yesterday is gone, today is here so start now and donā€™t wait for tomorrow to come. You got this!

I donā€™t know how to support you, so Iā€™m just sending you a big virtual fraternal hug. You can do this!

It sounds like youā€™re feeling down. Iā€™m here hoping youā€™ll feel better soon and get the results you want.

(Dawn) #11

I am a very seasoned faster but I am not fat adapted right now. My longest fast was about 17 days - which changed my life for the better. If I can get through about two-three weeks of Keto, dedicated with no carb loads, I can jump back into fasting relatively easy. But for right now, I am just so desperate to get back into some type of routine with keto. I left this forum for a really long time, especially after Carl and Richard stopped the keto podcast and it was a HUGE mistake. Just being back today has given me so much encouragement and strength it is unbelievable. I am so grateful to this community and I should have never left, even if I was not strict keto. I would not have fallen as far as I have if I had kept this comment close at hand.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

drawing%202017%20universe%20tough%20love%20w500

(Dawn) #13

Just your hug is all I need. To have someone who understands. I have to do this on my own. I donā€™t have family or friends to help, so itā€™s just me and I am not the strongest person in the world. But I can do this. I did it before, I can do it again

(Susan) #14

Welcome back, Dawn and I wish you all the best in getting back on track.

Exactly this!! We will all be here to cheer you on =).

(Robin) #15

Walk away from all that fret. Today is a new day. And so is tomorrow and the day after. I am assuming, you are a human being, therefore, capable of learning, failing, and starting again. And remember TWO GIANT STEPS back only count in Mother, May I. Otherwise, itā€™s experience and another chance to live and learn. You already know this will work. Youā€™ve been here before. You know the way already. be kind to yourself, forget the crap that you got you to this place, and march on. Youā€™ve got this.

I think I am unusual with fasting. I also have gained back a lot although I did not really leave so much as take weekly vacations from keto.

I started fasting in 2017 a month before I started Keto. I had a lot of events and would fast from one event to another. There was a week where I fasted from Friday to Sunday night, Most of the day Monday then Tuesday to Thursday. The first 24 hours were a little weird but then it was ok. I had been reading a lot of Jason Fung at the time. I did not believe in Keto at the time but after reseaching realized it worked well with the fasting and started Keto almost a month later. I recently recommitted to keto and have done 42 hour fasts a couple of times. I think it is the only thing that really pushes me into ketosis

As for coffee, I used to do cream even on fasts but now I have found good quality coffee, with cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and a pinch of salf is drinkable black. Never thought that would happen. Good Luck to you and your daughter on your Keto journey

(Dawn) #17

Ok. With the exception of a few too many macadamia nuts and a nasty bout with some thousand island dressing, I did great. Iā€™m stepping down to my 20net so I wonā€™t stress if Iā€™m a little over as I try to get back into this. Sugar cravings are really bad right now. Using Diet Coke to help contain them for now. 1 day at a time right, better each day

(Doug) #18

Welcome back, Dawn. :slightly_smiling_face:

Definitely!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #19

You could do a lot worse than too many macs. So just stay focused on getting your carbs down. Best wishes.

(Alex) #20

Thatā€™s great! Macadamias and thousand island dressing sound delicious ha.

One day at a time, better each day - awesome mantra :smiley: