Starting a (5 day) extended fast tonight...all welcome!

(Lisa ) #1

Hello again!
For those who don’t know me yet, I’m a Kiwi doctor doing a bunch of n=1 experiments and exploring the science of the ketogenic diet and, more specifically, extended fasting.
I have already lost 45kg and my BMI is normal. However, I have been left with an extremely damaged metabolism after years of dieting and currently am on thyroxine. Despite this, I had my resting metabolic rate calculated via a bodpod and it is around 1300kcal. This is not my ball metabolic rate, just what I would burn on a day of rest. Calorie restriction doesn’t work for me, and I exercise at least 1-2 hours a day for enjoyment.

Anyway, extended fasts are really useful to me. Last year I did two 7 day fasts and over the New Year I did 13 days and lost 7kg, felt a heck of a lot better, and dropped cm.

I’ve spent the last week off keto for various parties across the country and am VERY ready to dive back into fasting as I currently feel RUBBISH. Will do 5 days and re-assess. Black coffee, water, bone broth if needed. No dairy.

I’ll update daily as always, and anyone doing any fast feel free to join.

Lisa :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Do you gain back any of the weight you lose on fasts? If so, how much of what you lost do you gain back, and over what period of time?

(Lisa ) #3

No, if I go back to keto the only weight regain is the food back inside me!

Does that not show up on the scale?

(Lisa ) #5

Well of course, maybe 1kg max but what I mean is that it isn’t a sudden fat gain.

Thanks. Yeah, I was asking about weight gain -back since I didn’t assume all of your weight-loss was fat loss. I was just curious.

When I did my first 90 hour fast about a month ago, by the day after it ended, I was down 9 pounds. Over the course of the following week, I was up 4 pounds. So down a net 5.

I was just trying to get a feel for what other people experience since I always hear what they lost, but not as much about the inevitable gain back from fluids and food.

Thanks again.

(Lisa ) #7

Oh, I see. Well I was already keto and had lost water weight and I took photos to visibly gauge fat loss, but of course the scales can’t be trusted…I did not regain. Were you keto before the fast? If not, it was likely water weight. But like everything, YMMV :grinning:

(Emily Nathali Contreras Vivas) #8

I want to do a 72 hour fast starting now! Can I join you? I was off keto for a while and found myself having troubles for stopping my sugar cravings again u.u so I’m mainly doing it for that reason ^^

(Lisa ) #9

Absolutely, the more the merrier!

I had already started keto four weeks before that fast and was down about 4 pounds from the start.

I just finished today a 74 hour fast and was down 4.5 pounds. We’ll see how much comes back with refeed.

I am still losing inches. I’m just also curious about the EF weight loss factor.

Last week I fasted for 4 days and lost 4.6 pounds to a new low of 187.4.

I re-fed for three days and regained 5.6 pounds to 193.0 today. Not a good result, obviously. And my carb intake was low to moderate but protein real high. However, a ready explanation is water weight gain. Not fat. My clothes are still quite loose.

I ate a good bit of grilled shrimp which has historically made me retain fluid and today I was swollen a lot. Still retaining much of that fluid. Also, I have not had a decent bowel movement in a week.

I started a new fast last night (at 19 hours) and am hydrating today with hopes of a big whoosh soon.

My weight is truly a fasting/feasting roller coaster ride. But I feel confident this upswing is temporary and it’s retained water weight plus bulk in colon.

It isn’t always easy.

(Dut) #12

Is it ok to take mct whole fasting? Or should I take it during my meal time?

(MyLove MyLife) #13

Hello, Lisa another fasting Week Keep inspiring us. With your inspiration I did 72 hours its gave me a good result. Currently I am doing Alternate day fasting!!

(Lisa ) #14

Hi all!! Looks like you’re doing well.
I had a very stressful day and didn’t drink much. Had some bone broth and herbal tea tonight, but going to load up on the water a bit more. I’m taking magnesium with potassium added and lots of salt to combat cramps. Did a pump class then spin, so had a good fasted workout.

Yes, do whatever you like. For autophagy the general recommendation is to stick to as low calories as possible, but for weight loss it will keep your appetite at bay while you ease into it. Don’t worry about meal times unless these are when you get really hungry. I love adding a bit of MCT oil to black coffee (haven’t done it this time).

Will check in tomorrow with a better update as it’s 9pm and I am tired!!
Cricket to distract me for the day tomorrow…Go NZ!

Lisa

(Lisa ) #15

Day 2 almost done. Well, this has been an unexpected turn of events. I have lost 4.1kg (9 pounds) in less than 2 days. Must have had more water on me than expected. Although, last week I did change up the eating a bit and I wonder if that’s kept the body guessing. Also, I have been very strict on water, black coffee and black tea without cream and sweeteners. No where near as hungry as I usually am on day 2. So it will be interesting what happens over the next few days. I’m hoping to get some autophagy going. Mood is good. Went to gym and did a class with my Mum and sister. Felt sore from upping the weights yesterday, but all good! I am enjoying decaf plunger coffee while watching the cricket under the air con. Also taken my supps and salt as I suspect the cramps will start soon. Slept like a log last night on the couch while listening to an audiobook.
Keep calm and fast on :blush:

(Josh Quinn) #16

I would like to join in as well if I can.
I’m actually on the second day of my fast.
The same thing happened to me I lost around 4-5 kg’s in a day 1/2. Seeing that gave me a boost of confidence that I could do this.

(Lisa ) #17

Hi everyone! Day 3 done. Had a good day today, went to pump and spin then did some life maintenance and finally got around to watching Harry Potter (don’t judge!!). Apparently I have dropped 5.4kg (12lb) in 3 days. Bizarre. Must be time for the scales to rebel tomorrow. Feeling much calmer than usual now, had a good sleep last night and kept busy today. Will take a break at the 5 day mark for a birthday then start again.
How y’all going?

(Lisa ) #18

Of course, please do!

(Lisa ) #19

Day 4 done. Didn’t work out today as I had a doctor’s appt. More on that later…

Back to my pump/combat combo tomorrow, and then will be walking the doggo on Sunday.
Weight is down 13lb - still finding that bizarre. Checked my scale, and the doctor’s one and they read the same. FINALLY am building some muscle on my shoulders after recovering from my wrist injury (couldn’t lift weights for 3 months). Now my collar bones and chest aren’t so bony looking (huzzah!). Also noticed I’m already lifting heavier shoulder and chest weights than I ever could on the standard Kiwi diet ( SKD?). Found a couple of people in spin class who’ve started keto, so it’s been nice having others to rabbit on about keto with!

My mood has been a bit off this morning - I was stressed about seeing my doctor (a new one and had to wait 3 hours, which made me late to another appointment). But she appears to be onboard with keto, except is “worried” about the amount of exercise I do. Don’t think she realises that I do it for the enjoyment and endorphin rush, not for weight loss. I want some muscle!!

How are you doing now?

Did you experience any regain with this? I haven’t really done proper alternative day fasting.

Yeah, the scales definitely swing a lot more on keto/fasting rather than the ole CICO method…

Back to the cricket - see you all tomorrow.

(Jane) #20

Glad to see you aren’t treated with any more respect than us common folk paying their salary. And maybe making more than them.