Started Keto and have some questions

(Parker Tycer) #1

Hello. I just googled “Keto Forum” so I hope this is the right place.

Intro:
I am 34 years old and started eating super unhealthy. I went up to a 36 inch size in pants before C-vid happened. For the last year, I’ve been wearing sweat pants or stretchy clothes. I recently tried to put on my jeans and realized they, not only do the not fit… They REALLY don’t fit!

I have a brother in law that has been on the keto train for over a year and he recommended I try it. Today marks day#14-18 for me. (somewhere in that range of days)

1st weight in before the diet and I was:
245lbs

I bought a glucose/keto test kit to see where I was at:

238lbs
81 glucose test reading
0.9 keto test reading

I’m going to assume that the sudden lose of weight was all the water weight held with all the extra carbs that were being held in my body. ( Please correct me if I’m wrong)

My meals: Here is what I literally eat everyday:
Morning: (if I have breakfast) 5-6 Eggs, 3-4oz of chorizo or ground pork sausage and a whole avocado. Water or coffee w/ 1oz of heavy cream. No sugar.
Lunch: 8oz ground beef patty (a naked burger), 1 fried egg, 2 slices of cheddar, sauteed onions, 1 avocado and a tablespoon of mayo with hotsauce. Water or zero carb soda.
Dinner: Wagu steak, naked hotdog with cheese, or the same thing for lunch or nothing.
Snacks: Pork Rines, Cheese, cured meats or keto ice cream(rarely)

I normally eat 1 or maybe 2 meals a day. I’ve been eating 1-2 meals a day for years.

Ok. That is my intro. If you’re still reading and want to hear my question, I want to thank you for sticking around. haha!

I’m not going to ask about the 7lbs of weight already last within 2 weeks. I think I know the answer. Water weight held in with carbs.
Not going to ask about the glucose because I have no idea if I even need to take that test.

My real question is about the Keto-Tester. I took the test 2 days ago when it came in the mail and the test was a 1.1 keto mmol/L and I’m sure I didn’t take that test at the right time of the day.

I did take the keto test today a couple hours after I woke up but before I ate and it was the 0.9keto mmol/L

My question is: I’m pretty sure I’m in keto but is a 0.9keto good? Should it be higher? If I need to bring it up, how? Do I need to eat more fats and less protein?

Working out is an issue for me. I just physically do it. (I’m disabled but I can walk short distances)

(Laurie) #2

Your food looks good. Keep doing what you’re doing! Don’t worry about more/less fat, etc., for now. You’ll figure out the details as you go.

Sorry, I can’t answer your question about the tester. I don’t test anything.

(Parker Tycer) #3

The support is just as helpful. I’m very happy to have not had any sugar cravings that have tempted me to stop trying. I guess it helps I’m a trained chef and have been experimenting with other types of desserts.

(Olesya) #4

I don’t test anything too. But I use nutrition calculators specifically for keto. It helps me to know what foods and in what quantities I can eat today.

(Parker Tycer) #5

What calculator do you use? Is it on your computer or phone?

(Robin) #6

As one of our wiser souls on here says, “If you’re staying under 20 g of carbs and you’re breathing, you’re in ketosis. I never checked ketones. I just worked he plan. I stayed under 20 g carbs, and kept breathing. 16 months and almost 60 lbs later, it’s still working. I feel great and am healthier and stronger. As far as exercise… it isn’t necessarily a factor in losing weight. Most of us who exercise do it to stay strong and flexible. So don’t feel like you need to increase that, especially with a disability… just don’t lose ground. Sounds to me like you are off to a fabulous start! Stay connected. Lots of kind, smart and supportive folks on here. You got this!

(Doug) #7

This.

(Parker Tycer) #8

So, for my 1st post after just googling a Keto-Forum. I’m so happy that this site is very active. I’m trilled with all the responses I’ve received and I feel like checking out other blogs on here. Thank you for your kind words. All of you.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

As noted, keep your carbs sub-20 grams per day. As also noted, you will gradually work out the details of everything else. You can get a continuous glucose monitor which is an interesting device and can give you much interesting information about how your metabolism handles glucose and how different foods affect you. Measuring ketones, however, is problematic. This because there is as yet no continuous ketone monitor. Measuring ketones once or twice per day is pretty much useless other than to confirm the presence of ketones above baseline. Ketogenesis is a very dynamic system that generates more of less ketones minute to minute during the day. Stay sub-20 grams of carbs per day in order to remain consistently in ketosis and you’ll be fine. A lot of good stuff happens when you’re in ketosis that otherwise doesn’t. Best wishes. And welcome to the forum.

(Parker Tycer) #10

Thank you.

I bought the monitor because I just wanted to know if I was actually in Keto or not. I figured I was due to staying under 20 carbs for 2 weeks straight but it was for peace of mind. I feel I’ll use the device once a month or every other week just to use it. Staying under 20 grams wasn’t hard to do. I’m grateful I went to a culinary school that made us take a nutrition class. I feel like I started with a leg up on this new life style.

(Cheryl Meyers) #11

Congrats on finding us and starting keto! If you want to know more about measuring ketones, this discussion might help. I have never measured blood ketones, just aim to keep carbs below 20 grams per day. Best way to measure Ketone level
KCKO!

(bulkbiker) #12

If you are registering ketones in your blood on your meter then you are in ketosis. The actual number doesn’t really matter all that much.

If you want to have some fun and artificially inflate it, fast for 3 days.

(Robin) #13

When I began keto, I used the app Carb Manager to track. Besides counting calories, it can also break down the percentages of carbs, protein, and fat. But there are other apps that track even more and are preferred by others. If you’re like me, you’ll use it long enough to get the general idea and then fly solo. Good luck!

(Jane) #14

I didn’t buy a keto meter until I had been on keto for about 6 months. It was fun to test for a while, but really not necessary. Your ketones are typically lower in the morning and rise during the day, but exercise can lower them.

Doesn’t mean much and higher ketones doesn’t equal faster weight loss. Like @MarkGossage said - really fun to see them after a 3-day fast LOL.

I don’t recommend fasting until you are fat adapted and then up to you. Not necessary to fast at all - ever.

Your menu looks good to me. Don’t go hungry and don’t fret over the scale. Give your body time to adjust and heal. Eventually you will naturally be less hungry and can cut the snacks and limit your “eating window” but don’t force it.

The key to losing weight is to keep your insulin response as low as possible and that is achieved by limiting carbs and not eating as often.

The key to making keto a lifestyle change is eat what you love! (except carbs LOL)

Wish you the best!

(Tim Cee) #15

Looks like you’re on the right track. I also don’t use a keto tester, but one thing that helps me is to listen to the 2ketodudes once in a while. They are a real gas and the information is enlightening. As you progress, you’ll find you need to make some adjustments to keep progressing. I wouldn’t be too concerned about exercising until you start to get in the mood for it. The obsolete way of thinking has people exercising and risking injury when they aren’t healthy enough yet. When your ready for exercise you’ll know because you’ll think, “ I feel great, it would be nice to get back into (insert favorite physical activity).”when you start thinking that way, go ahead at a sensible pace.