Start with your Why

(Jane Reed) #141

Um, actually… forcing yourself to eat when not hungry isn’t advised. You are literally satisfied with a bowl of soup as your meal?

In your shoes I would do some research on the subject of nutritional ketosis and low appetite. I’ve heard a little about it on different podcasts and, in general, the opinion is to eat real food till full, however much ( or little) that might be. Surely it won’t hurt to experiment for a few weeks or a month by just eating according to your appetite. If and when your body needs food, it usually let’s you know in no uncertain terms.

(Penelope) #142

“Being a slave to carbs” - oh I know! It sounds crazy, but I didn’t know what satiety felt like. I could be in pain from eating too much and still feel COMPELLED to eat.

I felt like I have been starving since 1992, when I became pregnant with my oldest child. I told an MD once - he looked at me like I was exaggerating.

I honestly bought the idea that I was an emotional eater, now I think that is BS. It was the hyperinsulin-carb cycle. I just don’t crazy-crave. I get full. I can NOT think about my next meal for hours on end.

I feel out from under a spell. Awake. Free.

(Cathrine Helle) #143

What a wonderful thread. I don’t think nearly enough about my whys, but there are several!

• Less inflammation
  • Better weight and body composition
  • More energy on less sleep
  • Less cravings
  • Less IBS
  • Less inflammation (yes, this is first, last and the absolute most important point on my list)

I’ve always struggled with auto-immune issues, and no creams, steroids or cortisone have ever given me more than superficial relief. It doesn’t go away with keto either, but my need for meds has decreased drastically.

I’m also at an age where I’m concerned about the bigger health issues. Even though there are no T2D, we’ve had both heart disease and cancer in the immediate family.

Ultimately I’m hoping that keto will ensure me a longer life with better quality than I would have had otherwise.

I hesitate to post my “why”. I have some problems but nothing compared to what so many of you are going through. I was overweight in my late 20s-early 30s or so but lost that because of stress. I basically quit eating I was so stressed out, dropped 15 lbs or so. Not so long after I changed career fields (left software dev and went back to RF communications my old field). Anyway, got married, had kids, ended up being a genuinely horrible marriage that finally, thank God, ended with me in custody of the kids. Meanwhile I turned up with high blood pressure. This completely freaked me out. I was not overweight, I ran constantly.
In fact at this point I was not running quite so far but had probably half a dozen ultra marathons under my belt, a marathon, a few halfs, and several shorter races.
I was fit, active, back in a job I enjoyed (of course home was hell but…), and doing everything I was supposed to do.
I ate super “healthy”, no fast food, very little sweets - usually just dark chocolate, occasionally ice cream.
In fact, I had been a VEGETARIAN for like, two years!
So began the quest to fix myself. I also found out I had high cholesterol which after all the research I’ve done doesn’t concern me anymore but the BP does. I decided to cut out bread a few months ago, watched a cholesterol video on youtube by Jonny Bowden, enjoyed it so I looked for his books. Read the Great Cholesterol Myth and Living Low Carb. Living Low Carb turned me toward Mark Sisson’s Primal Blueprint. I found it interesting but the book kind of annoyed me so I skipped most of it and just started cutting carbs. Then I stumbled across a podcast with Jimmy Moore, read his keto book and decided to give it a go.
It’s only been a month, month and half or so.
Still hoping and praying this fixes the BP. I love how much better I feel, how much better the food is, how much better I sleep, how much clearer I think, and well… bacon. :bacon:

(Tom Seest) #145

On January 15th of this year, I discovered my heart problem. At the time, it was very disconcerting as I had no idea what was wrong. Still wanting to contribute in some way, it occurred to me that I finally had my “why”. And, I needed to figure it all out. Lots has changed since then. So, I made this post on the forums. “Start With Your Why” has become something I never expected. But, I’m happy to see it grow daily.

I’ll probably never know why…:sunglasses:

(VLC.MD) #146

Lose weight and inspire.

(Penelope) #147

Yes. Bacon. :^)

(Jen ) #148

I have a bunch of WHY’s:

-I’m a single mom of two teenage daughters and I want to be alive for everything and all of their experiences.
-I almost died about 14 months ago and I have had 2 major abdominal surgeries; one I am still recovering from.
-My surgeon says I’m morbidly obese. I just say I’m short for my weight. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
-I have struggled with my weight for almost 4 years. I’ve had enough and have done extensive research and the Keto lifestyle seems to be the best option for me. I can eat keto and make a starch for my kids at dinner time.
-I am 34 and need two knee replacements and a hip replacement. I’m confident that once the weight starts coming off my joints will be less stressed and I can postpone the joint replacements until at least 40…
-My daughters deserve a mom who can keep up with them and not need breaks or naps.

(Madge Boldt) #149

Vegan keto sounds really interesting. I wouldn’t have thought it possible, but with enough planning and prep, maybe so! No butter, but coconut oil is nice. Lots of macadamia nuts I suppose.

Not for me, I love meat! I’d be lost without eggs too.

I tried veganism… It did not work out well.

I was vegetarian for years and tried vegan for about a month. Neither were for me, but I have great respect for those who choose this path. For those interested, the episode of the keto talk podcast this week featured an orthopedic spine surgeon who successfully eats vegan keto. She was very informative and did a great interview. Unusual for a surgeon to be so interested and informed re: nutrition and to advocate this to her patients (not necessarily vegan, but keto). Impressive!

I might have to check that podcast out. I have respect for the lifestyle and the choice to not eat meat, I didn’t for two years or so. It just didn’t work for me, I think it actually contributed to my blood pressure issues although I can’t prove it because other things were going on as well. The only time I absolutely have no respect for a vegan/vegetarian is when they demand that everyone else should follow their lifestyle. Much as how I cannot stand when a meat eater condemns vegetarians.
I caught enough grief when I quit eating meat… funny enough as thin as I am now (thinner than vegetarian me) I wonder how many people would freak when they find out how much butter, eggs, sausage, and bacon I consume. :laughing:

I hope this works out for me. I’ve tried low fat high carb, vegan, vegetarian, none of it worked. I feel better now than I have in years.

I’m 46, my kids are 11, 8, and 7 so I totally get needing the energy. Keep up the good work you got this!!!

(Sophie) #154

I believe I saw a video where Dr. Stephen Phinny stated that in his practice, he had never seen a healthy vegan/vegetarian(?). I’ll look for it if you like.

I felt fantastic… at first.
I really believe that if I had not been so physically active I would have been a metabolic trainwreck.
Yes, if you find that video let me know.

I’m curious as to when you lived in Oburg but I’m smart enough not to directly ask!

(Bunny) #156

My why? I consider keto a way of life not a “diet” so I treat my nutrition as if I already have cancer or diabetes! Recent scientific research,* literature,* and other studies* are strongly indicating that our body was not intended to burn excessive exogenic sugar or refined and processed carbohydrates. I will never ever go back to the way I was eating before or cheat!

*EPIDEMIOLOGY:

EXCESSIVE EXOGENIC SUGAR (glucose) INTAKE including HIGHLY PROCESSED CARBOHYDRATES (gluconeogenesis; including eating more than 3 or 4 oz. of excessive protein per meal) is the core cause of cancer including hereditary predispositions to cancer and other diseases, especially diabetes and others etc. are the root cause of most diseases. In 1931 a German physician/scientist, Otto Warburg MD, PhD, received a Nobel prize for proving that all cancer cells use anaerobic metabolism (burn sugar without using oxygen) to produce energy. The problem (for the cancer cell) is that this mechanism is 18 times less efficient than the aerobic (oxygen utilizing) metabolism that our normal cells use. That means the cancer cells need 18 times more sugar than normal cells to grow and prosper.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTARY:

Recent research* on endurance athletes (T-Low/C-High) in KETOSIS demonstrates that they BURN 23x SUGAR (glucose) and 2x FAT, but that’s only AFTER 3 MONTHS of being in KETOSIS and not completely KETO ADAPTED (ketosis adaptation takes 6 MONTHS) in contrast to Dr. Otto Warburg’s research in 1931 that demonstrates cancer cells need 18x more sugar (glucose) to thrive and prosper.

Interesting?

*RESEARCH:

1. Metabolic characteristics of keto-adapted ultra-endurance runners - Jeff S. Volek - Nov 2, 2015

2. The Effects of a Ketogenic Diet on Exercise Metabolism and Physical Performance in Off-Road Cyclists - Adam Zajac, Stanisław Poprzecki, […], and Grzegorz Zydek

3. Ketogenic diets and physical performance -Stephen D Phinney

4. Endurance athletes who ‘go against the grain’ become incredible fat-burners Elite performance on a diet with minimal carbs represents a paradigm shift in sports nutrition - November 17, 2015 Source: Ohio State University

KETONES/ENERGY/GLUCONEOGENSIS:

The human body or brain DOES NOT need EXOGENIC (external) GLUCOSE (sugar) or CARBOHYDRATE ingestion TO LIVE and will create (gluconeogenesis) glucose endogenically (naturally/internally) if needed.

The human brain and body can use KETONES as a source of energy permanently the way nature intended!

Your Brain ONLY Needs Glucose (Carbohydrates) is a MYTH!

Dr. Eric Berg explains the brain CAN run on other types of fuel, specifically ketones from our fat stores. Your body ALSO can convert both protein and fat to glucose and does this through a special mechanism called gluconeogensis. So you don’t have to CONSUME glucose, sugar or carbohydrates DIRECTLY to get glucose to the brain.

Research Studies:

1. Ketone bodies as a therapeutic for Alzheimer’s disease. ‪https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/‬ pubmed/18625458/

2. Study of the ketogenic agent AC-1202 in mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial.‪ ‬

3. ‪The ketogenic diet for typ‬e II bipolar disorder. ‪

4. Dementia, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and insulin resistance in the brain: progress, dilemmas, new opportunities, and a hypothesis to tackle intersecting epidemics. ‪

5. How does brain insulin resistance develop in Alzheimer’s disease?

6. ‪Insulin i‬n the Brain ‪www.hbo.com/documentaries/the-alzheimers-project-caregiv‬ers

WHAT INTERMITTENT FASTING DOES:

Understanding blood ketones

Welcome @atomicspacebunny, look forward to you sharing more of what you find.
I’m an endurance runner so definitely a fan of Drs Phinney and Volek. I’ve read their Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance and am roughly halfway through The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living.

If you find any studies that are good reading please link them.

Thanks!

(Bunny) #158

More myth shattering and mind blowing research to come!

(Scotty Blair) #159

I’ve been obese since I was 20. I worked in a restaurant as a cook, and was allowed to eat all the food I wanted. Our restaurant also had a bakery, and the bakery ladies loved me. They brought me all of the white macadamia nut cookies I could handle. I worked there for 4 years, and started at 180 lbs. I gained 60 lbs during my employment, and left there to work a desk job.

Long hours at a desk and poor eating habits led to more weight gain. By the time I was 25, I weighed 280 lbs. I decided to restrict calories and work out, because I refused to hit 300. I got back down to 240, and then left for a 10 day trip. I hadn’t planned my menu and struggled to eat well. I fell off the wagon and couldn’t find the motivation to try again. By the time I was 30, I weighed 315 lbs. I was embarrassed and always hungry and tired. My wife got pregnant with my 3rd child when I was 31, and I knew something had to change. I decided to try paleo, because clean eating made sense to me. I lost 40 pounds on paleo, but that didn’t mean I was getting healthier. I ate lots of fruit and meats and felt better, but still didn’t have a lot of energy.

My wife is a physician, and we moved while I was eating paleo. Two things happened to make me consider keto as an option. The first was that my wife had started learning about this ridiculous diet that was curing type two diabetes and metabolic syndrome. She filled my head with the knowledge of keto

Second was that I had to do a series of tests for our new insurance, and was diagnosed as prediabetic. My A1C was 6.4 and it was suggested that I go on that metformin. I had told my wife that if I was ever diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, I would refuse medication and change my diet. Prediabetes was close enough for me!

I started researching food and this thing called macros and immediately became ketogenic. Within two weeks, I had made it past any withdrawal symptoms and was feeling great! I started at the beginning of your shows, and absorbed a lot of great information to kerp motivated. I turned 32 over the weekend, and was recently tested again. My A1C was 5.7! I overcame pre diabetes in a matter of months, and am starting to test out fasting.

My diet isn’t always perfect, but I am keeping calm, and ketoing on!

(Vicki Stroud) #160

I am tired of being fat and unhealthy. I want to walk my two Giant Schnauzers without having to stop and bend over to catch my breath. I want to fit into that little black dress and watch my husband have to bend over to pick up his eyes that fell out of his head.