Spiced cream of chicken and fennel soup with avocado chunks

chickensoup

(Clare) #1

This comes under the umbrella of ‘stuff to do with yesterday’s roast chicken carcass’.
It will make 4 - 6 portions depending on size of the chicken and the greed of your family.

Ingredients:

The remains of a roast chicken - or a couple of roasted leg portions and any leftover cooking liquids or residues or general flavourful goo that you may have leftover from roasting the chicken.
One med onion
2 stalks celery
Half bulb of fennel.
2 cloves garlic
2 big teaspoons of smoked paprika
Some sort of chilli seasoning of your choice - whatever you like to use, to whatever heat you like.
50g butter
glug of EV Olive oil
100g creme fraiche or sour cream.
Salt.
Water as required.
Half avocado per portion / person.

Method.
Pull the accessible meat off your chicken and reserve.
Break up the carcass and bones, add to a pressure cooker or stock pot with any trimmings from your celery, onion and fennel. Cover with enough water to safely cook but not too much.
Put on to boil. If using a pressure cooker it will take around half an hour at pressure to give you a good stock.
Meanwhile, finely slice your vegetables other than the avocados (yes I know they’re technically fruit - leave me alone) and soften them in a soup pot, in the oil and butter with the spices, garlic and any seasoning.
Once the veg is soft and your stock is ready, drain your stock into your veggies and test for salt and depth of flavour. Add any leftover cooking liquids etc at this point too.
You may need to reduce the soup for a while if it’s not quite tasty enough but if you’ve got a half decent chicken it should be fine. You may actually want to dilute with a bit more water.
Add your reserved meat - sliced into soup sized - bits to the soup. Let it soften in the soup for ten minutes on a simmer.
If you care enough to do it, pick over the carcass and add any other meat you can get off it - there is often a fair bit more it have off it once it’s boiled.
Add the cream just before serving and garnish each bowl with half a chopped avocado.
You could also add a little fresh chopped chilli to each one if you wanted.

Tub of Sour Cream

Oh yes! I make my broth in a crockpot overnight, this takes it up a few notches!