Sous Vide Chuck Roast on the Cheap

searing is the plan.butter baste sounds awesome

(ryancrawcour) #11

so … how was it? :drools:

I had 1 of the roasts after 24 hours… it was good. Pretty tender. I really didn’t have time to baste it, perhaps I made the pan too hot.

I am having the other one tonight after 3 days at 131… I expect it to be like butter. I will report back.

OMG… Just finished dinner. I never had such a tender delicious beef roast, like ever.

3 days at 131 deg’s is the bomb! I didn’t even really need the knife.

Yummmm…`

(matt ) #14

I’ve done 2 days. Guess 3 is next!

(Marie) #15

Holy crap, Sous Vide is a game changer - chuck steak literally as tender as filet mignon. 48 hours at 134° then drained, oiled, and finished on the grill.

Sous vide chuck roast and the smoker
(Running from stupidity) #16

C’mon over to somewhere more recent than this thread :slight_smile:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/food/sous-vide

(Marie) #17

Whoops! Didn’t know - heading over :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #18

It’s brand new, and we’re recruiting :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #19

This is one of my favorite sous vide recipes, and I have lots of favorites (it favourites if you like it spelled this way).

(Marie) #20

Old post but still sous viding like crazy and maybe new people are reading through this looking for tips. I agree Roxanne, 48 hours gave me a mealy texture I didn’t care for. Almost the texture of liver - very tender and still rare, but not a texture I cared for. I find 24 hours at 140° is about right. Wonderful way to increase the quality and flavor of lowly Chuck roast.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #21

@Maried I like 132F for 24hrs. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Roxanne) #22

24 hours is much better

(Doug) #23

Good timing - I got a nice 7 lb Eye of Round roast today. Cut it in half and will sous vide one portion for 24 hours and the other for 48 to see…

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #24

Souse Vide is freaking awesome ! And since learning about it here, on this very forum, I will never cook beef any other way ! I’ve probably done a dozen SV cooks in the 6 weeks I’ve owned my SV machine, and coincidentally, I have a 4 lb Chuck Roast going right now, as I sit here and type this. 40 hrs @ 138F

One thing though, SV machines have apparently really plummeted in price in the last couple years. I bought my machine, a 1100wt VPCOK, for only $73 from Amazon ! In fact, I got my SV machine, 12qt Rubbermaid container, silicone lid, neoprene insulating cover, and a stainless steel rack, for only about $130 total. Then, a couple weeks later, I saw my same SV machine for only $58 !? Are you freaking kidding me ? I’m about to by another one just for a backup… Or, in case I’m doing a 40+ hour SV… And also want steaks that same night :slightly_smiling_face:

BTW, I used to only feel confident cooking expensive prime beef like Ribeye steaks (or hamburgers :smiley: lol) but now, my favorite cuts are cheap Tri Tips, Chuck roast, or Brisket.

Sous Vide is Fire :sunglasses:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #25

In fact, after posting this, I went back to check the price now, and it was back down to $63 for Amazon prime members, so I bought another one… And also got another $3.15 off… With free one day shipping, and zero tax :sunglasses: Wow ! Another SV machine for $53.85 ! :smiley: Whoo hoo !

(Tyler) #26

I have got to get myself one of those

(Doug) #27

Beef Eye of Round - my wife and I both preferred the 48 hour sous vide over the 24. 136 F or 58 C. The increased tenderness of the 48 hour is what swayed us the most. There was more of a “roast” like texture to the meat, versus more “steaklike” in the 24.

I’m going to give the 24 hour a 7 on a 0 to 10 scale, and the 48 hour an 8. Both were tasty and in my opinion “really good” - especially for < $3 per lb.

(Marianne) #28

Do you have a machine?

(Marianne) #29

HI Chris,

Can you attach the link to your sv machine? Thanks.