Soups!

Beyond broccoli and cheddar, has anyone got any tasty Keto soup recipes?

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

I think this one works nicely at 2 carbs per cup. And it is soup time of the year. I have a new batch of broth on the stove and fresh mushrooms ready to go once the broth is done.

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/brown-butter-mushroom-soup/

My family likes this taco soup. Also I typed “soup” into the search function and a bunch of delicious sounding recipes popped up.

Hey Wishbone. I have two fairly simple soup recipes for you which I have been cooking on a regular basis over the last few months. Let me know, if you cooked and/or enjoyed either of them:

‚Party Soup‘

A very simple soup which my family calls ‘Party Soup’ because we usually serve it at parties

Takes about 30 minutes to prepare and cook. Total carbs are somewhere around 50 g. This lasts me for about 2.5 days (1 person) and has a fat/protein/carb ratio of about 75% / 20% / 5%.

I use ‘Philadelphia KrĂ€uter’ cream cheese with added herbs (macros per 100 g: 21.5 g fat / 5.5 g protein / 4 g carbs) which is available here in Germany but I assume you will have something similar wherever you live.

Ingredients:
50 g coconut oil
2 onions
2-3 cloves of garlic
200 g bacon
600-700 g ground meat (50% pork / 50 % beef)
1 leek (300-400 g)
600 g cream cheese (with mixed herbs)
Salt
Pepper
Optional: ground chili / paprika powder to taste (about 2 tsp each)

Recipe:

1. Cut onions, garlic, bacon and leek into small pieces.
  2. Heat pressure cooker
  3. Melt Coconut oil
  4. Stir fry onions and bacon for about 3 minutes on high heat
  5. Add ground meat and stir fry until brown
  6. Add garlic, salt, pepper and optionally ground chili / paprika powder
  7. Add leek and cream cheese
  8. Stir and add water until everything is covered
  9. Close lid, bring to maximum pressure and turn off heat afterwards.
  10. Wait 20 minutes and enjoy.

Goulash Soup
This recipe takes a bit more time (~45 minutes) and has less favorable macros but you can adjust it with the amount of butter you add at the end. This also lasts me for about 2.5 days (1 person) and has a fat/protein/carb ratio of about 63% / 28% / 9% with the listed 50 g of butter.

Ingredients:
50 g coconut oil
3-4 onions
200 g bacon
800 g meat (beef / pork neck / mixture of both)
3 cloves of garlic
Salt
Pepper
1.5 tbsp hot paprika powder
1.5 tbsp sweet paprika powder
Chili powder to taste
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp marjoram
200 ml red wine
2 bell peppers
300-400 g chopped spinach
500 ml tomato sauce
500 ml beef stock or 2 instant beef stock cubes
2 bay leaves
400 g spinach
0.5 leek
50+ g butter

Recipe:

1. Remove skin of the bell peppers with a potato peeler and remove seeds.
  2. Cut onions, bacon, meat, garlic, bell peppers and leek into small pieces.
  3. Melt coconut oil in a pressure cooker.
  4. Stir fry onions and bacon on high heat for about 3 minutes.
  5. Add meat and stir fry until brown.
  6. Add garlic, salt, pepper, paprika powder, cumin, marjoram and optionally chili powder and cook for about 1 minute.
  7. Add red wine and wait until the alcohol has evaporated.
  8. Stir in bell peppers and tomato sauce.
  9. Add beef stock, bay leaves, spinach and leek.
  10. Add water until everything is covered.
  11. Close lid, bring to maximum pressure and turn off heat afterwards.
  12. If meat is not tender after pressure is back to normal, use potato masher to accelerate things and heat up soup again until you are satisfied with the meat’s tenderness.
  13. Remove bay leaves, add as much butter as you want and enjoy.

(Mike W.) #5

Just made this last night.

Thank you!

(Sophie) #7

Got anything using almost 1 gallon of fresh turkey stock, besides turkey noodle soup?

(Mike W.) #8

We used turkey bone broth in this soup.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #9

@MiKetoAF your food is beautiful :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

(Jennifer) #10

I was craving green chili chicken enchilada soup and saw a recipe that I kinda followed

Sauteed an onion and green pepper until soft, added a head of crushed garlic.
Then added half a pot full of stock that I made from the turkey carcasses.
Then added 2 cans of mild green chilies and a whole bottle of the Hendez salsa verde. Also added a bit of chili powder
and cumin. Salt and white pepper to taste.
I let that meld for an hour or so then added a couple pounds of cooked shredded chicken. After 15-20 minutes I added an 8oz block of cream cheese and 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Let that melt and dig in.

It was the best soup I’ve ever made. Sorry for the estimates of the ingredients - I don’t tend to follow directions with soups.

That sounds awesome!

(Jennifer) #12

I’m glad I wrote that down. Found a container of said soup in the freezer yesterday and it was just as freaking awesome today. Will remake soon.

(Darlene Horsley) #13

Oooh, I have to go to the store now. YUM!

(Candy Lind) #14

@Scheybstar, is that double listing of spinach a typo? I want to try this soup - I think my hubby would like it. :blush:

(Candy Lind) #15

I’m going to make this in my Instant Pot. It sounds FABULOUS! :heart_eyes:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #16

I made this, more or less, and it was tasty.

I used diluted purge from sous vide turkey in place of stock. Then pulled chicken from one of those grocery rotisserie chickens.

You are right, Candy. I put spinach in there twice by mistake. 300-400 grams should be sufficient. I hope you and your husband will enjoy the soup :wink:

I had some spare “Mixed Seafood” from one of those frozen bags you get at Walmart - so I made this yesterday, but with a few substitutions!

Ingredients

• 3 strips bacon
  • 1 onion
  • 1 carrot (I skipped this - don’t like carrots much, and they’d add unwanted carbs)
  • 2 stalks celery (they really meant 2 RIBS, not entire stalks!)
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 2 1/2 cups heavy cream (I didn’t have this, so used 2 cups + 2/3 cup butter)
  • 1 cup clam juice (1/2 cup chicken broth + 1/2 cup water)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 head cauliflower (I was closer to 2/3, but it was a small head, so
)
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum (1 tsp corn starch)
  • 16 oz canned clams (about 1 1/2 cups of Mixed Seafood from frozen Walmart bag, water removed)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp parsley
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp celery salt

It turned out REALLY great. Delicious.

Edit: this stuff:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ocean-jewel-seafood-mix/6000196384758

jono

(Laurie) #19

Just to clarify–where I come from, a stalk is #1 and a bunch is #2. I believe it’s a regional difference. I think this recipe refers to #1.

1. StalkCelery

2. BunchCelery

Weird! I’ve always known stalk to refer to the whole thing. Used to work in produce department, too!

Anyway yes they mean 2 single sticks of celery, whatever you call them. :slight_smile: