Soups!

(heather) #21

I’ve made this soup twice now( the second time I doubled it) and it’s amazing… Super amazing.

('Jackie P') #22

Cream of Celery Soup
1 head of celery chopped, leaves and all
1 small onion
1oz butter
1tbsp olive oil
Black pepper
Celery salt
700 - 1000mls vegetable stock
100mls double cream
Handful of fresh parsley
Sweat the onion and celery in the oil and butter until softened. Season with pepper and celery salt.
Add the vegetable stock to just cover and simmer until soft. Blend with a stick or processor.
Add cream and parsley and blend some more.

(Cathy) #23

The secret of a great soup is always starting with homemade bone broth. My current fave is Italian sausage soup with Parmesan. Veggies include zucchini, onion, garlic, canned diced tomatoes and bell pepper.

This can work as a soup, if its thinned out; or, as a gravy.

I take kind of an Alice Waters approach to cooking food…and tend not to tinker too much with the natural form of things- especially meats. So, I roasted a whole chicken in the cast iron Dutch oven, coated with olive oil. I seasoned it with salt and pepper, chopped up a couple shallots, garlic cloves and tossed in some sprigs of thyme and rosemary. Roasted for about 70 min.
Took the chicken out to rest it. Took all the drippings, added in a pint of sliced portobellos, picked out the sprigs, and got it hot adding in some heavy cream and little chicken broth. I poured all of it into the blender…drippings, shallots, garlic, mushrooms…all of it. Blasted into the most delicious gravy.

The barely cooked mushrooms thickened the gravy up better than flour, and created a wonderful umami flavoring with chicken and quinoa.

Now, for soup, I’d add in more broth and thin it a bit- maybe leaving some small chunks of mushrooms for texture.

(Cecile Seth) #25

Yum! This is what’s for dinner tonight! Thanks!

(KCKO, KCFO) #26

Time to give this link some attention. Winter is coming. Have some good soups ready!

I am simple, I usually just make some mixed vegetable soup. Soup is very popular here, I had it every day when I was a kid, I don’t play with some not satiating food now (eating meat again will change this, meat soup is satiating).
But mixed veggie soup is still very carby, no matter how low-carb vegetables I use as a main ingredient so I have a mixed vegetable/modified onion soup.

150g onion
10-20g garlic (optional)
60g carrot
40g green peas
a few leaves of cabbage (80g)
100-200g cauliflower, broccoli or kolhrabi (I usually use two of them at once)
1500g water (or less but I prefer this)
20g fat (I use coconut oil but if I will have animal fat, I will try that) or a little more, whatever we fancy
+salt, spices and whatever we want to add. There’s some technique but I can’t say it in English (totally common around here but not everywhere) but it’s not that important, it makes the soup a bit thicker, it happens usually using flour, I use sesame seeds and flax flour, roasted in fat, is it said properly? But it works without, it just will be more clear.

…and because I want to get satiated too and getting my nutrients, any amount of poached eggs! Well, only 6-10 first because I can’t fit more into the pot. But I can do it again next day (and I probably will poach them separately so my eggs won’t be full with peas and whatnot :smiley: not like that’s a big problem).

I cook this once in every two weeks, it’s one of my best ways to eat my eggs (especially if the yolks stay soft!). All the other methods involve lots of desserts and I had enough of that already. I usually eat a small bowl or two of this soup and 4-5 eggs. With vinegar because I love putting vinegar into nearly everything, especially into soups. But normal people eat it without it, I presume. My SO thinks vinegar ruins it, I think it’s just borderline edible without it. But he hates pickled eggs with a passion too.

Oh and it’s very very nice to use some water after I cooked celery! I don’t like celery itself very much but it makes the water tasty. Last time I cooked lots of carrots along with the celery, that was a bad idea as it made the water super sweet, I felt it when I ate the soup. I cut sugar from my diet ages ago and my tastebuds changed a lot. I like really sweet things but not when it’s a veggie soup. My soup has various sweet vegetables but not in too huge amounts. But if it’s a problem, one can switch peas with broccoli, main thing it should stay colorful :smiley: At least I prefer that but one can skip peas and carrots just fine. They are carby (but onion and garlic is carby too) but very flavorful, little is enough.

Sorry, I never write a concise recipe in my life, even without braindump.