Soooooooo hungry

(Brenna) #1

I’m still fairly hungry. And … I’m not sure if I know how to eat fat right. Other than cooking with olive oil, I"m not sure that I’m doing it right as I keep on falling off of the wagon after getting way tooo hungry.

Any ideas?

Fairly hungry? Are you sure it’s actual hunger or are you just craving carbs?

(Running from stupidity) #3

And if you are actually hungry, eat.

(Brenna) #4

Sometimes I’m craving carbs, and sometimes I’m hungry. I just can’t seem to get satisfied with what I’m eating. Maybe I should go back to eating keto fat bombs?

That should pass with a bit of time.

Some people do better with more fat and some do better with more protein. It takes tweaking to find what works for you.

It’s OK to eat more calories early on if you’re hungry. That hunger is pretty much the body having a “temper tantrum” because it isn’t getting the carbs it’s used to.

Feed it mostly fat. Some protein. But as few carbs as you can.

Bacon, sausage, cheese, eggs, butter, …

(Gail P) #7

When I started out, I ate a fat bomb or two any time I felt a craving. I didn’t worry about timing or calories, only staying away from the carbs. It generally made me feel a little sick, but it definitely got rid of the cravings so I counted it as a win. I had lost 20 pounds in two weeks, so didn’t feel like it was a bad choice. Good luck!

(Brenna) #8

thank you. now if only I could find a good recipe for fat bombs without peanubutter. Peanutbutter is sooo tiring right now.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #9

Whipped cream and strawberries and/or blueberries
Done.

(Running from stupidity) #10

Are you running it around the block first, or somesuch?

(Brenna) #11

What do you mean by that?

I just meant that I’d like one good recipe that does not include peanut butter.

There are many recipes on the internet. Google is your friend. I would just eat more real food at your meals personally.

(Cari McAskill) #13

HUGE +1 for “eat when hungry”! :slight_smile:

I’ve only been going for about a month, but I have learned from sad experience that hunger makes me plummet off the wagon big time.

I haven’t made fat bombs yet, but I started carrying around zero-carb meat sticks (Vermont is the brand I found) and roasted pecans (pecans plus a little avo oil or butter, salt with lite salt.) If you’re getting a lot of exercise and aren’t feeling fat-adapted enough to do fat bombs, emergency jerky might help. I actually found that on the days where I had my three meals plus a couple of intermittent snacks whenever hungry, I did just fine with my calories and even macros (I weigh just over 300 and am getting exercise, so my daily calorie goal is fairly high). Even if I have a whopping 2 ounces of pecans, not feeling insanely hungry at mealtimes seemed to even things out. And I figure as long as your carbs stay low, when you’re starting out, the metabolism is changing and your body has to adjust, so going a smidge high on protein is better than feeling hungry all the time or cheating.

Also: fiber. Getting all the fiber in, as well as electrolytes, has been a challenge. But if you really make an effort to put fiber in your meals (I have even snuck it into soups!) or supplement if you have to, I know it helps me enormously.

Best of luck!!!

(Brenna) #14

I have noticed that I feel lighter since drinking in more electrolytes. LIke more is coming out and I’m loosing water weight. I feel less puffy. that’s a nice feeling. For fiber, I eat a crap load of veggies at every meal. So no problem there.

Of the 20 g carbs you ate were most of them from vegetables? Veggies have fibre and fibre is filling.

Try more fibre.

(Brenna) #16

I’m still trying to get under the 20g. That’s why I’ve joined the forum.

Oh, Ok. Not sure this will appeal to you but I started with this formula.

Bacon and eggs for breakfast, fried in butter. Coffee with cream.

Avocado and canned Salmon or roast chicken and feta or whatever cheese for lunch

Steak, fish, chicken for dinner with a good amount of vegetables with butter on top.

That gets in at about 20g net carbs, proper protein and tastes okay, at least to me.

As your body adapts to keto more you will most likely not feel hungry at all. I’m skipping breakfast now just don’t even feel like it…

HTH

(Cari McAskill) #18

I found I started out higher (30 and occasionally 40) and now that I’m adapting and learning how to cook, it’s much easier to get the count down and I’ve gotten into ketosis finally.

Also +1 for fiber – once I got conscious of that, it really helped with the hungry. I don’t know how long you’ve been on keto, but I figured maybe the hunger was part of the metabolism change as well; for a while I felt like a couple hours after meals, it was like someone flipped the off switch. (Someone more experienced, weigh in on this?) Learning to grab those Vermont jerky sticks, and roasted pecans was a total lifesaver, and now that I’m watching fiber and further into transition, I have less of that “off switch” happening, probably because my body’s not expecting that spike of blood sugar energy post-meal and the metabolism is evening out?

I’m also a total beginner, but I tried to look at the consensus of a lot of advice – I prioritized low-carb first, made sure I wasn’t starving myself, and started out with something I could stick to to get some success under me.

(Palomila) #19

I got hungry earlier too and was craving sweets. I just kept on telling myself not to do it. I ate cheese instead.

(Jane) #20

Google “savory fat bombs”. Keeps you away from artificial sweeteners and fills you up. I don’t need them anymore but early on made some out of cream cheese, sharp white cheddar and pepperoni. They were yummy.