So confused after 4 days

Bulletproof coffee contains no protein. This suggests to me that you should keep reading here and gaining a proper understanding of the roles of fat, protein, and carbs. Alot of good advice is being given here.

(Barri) #37

The confusion is understandable. Look for fattier cuts of meat like 70/30 ground beef, chuck roast, rib-eye. Salmon has good fats in it. Poultry has very little fat unless you eat the skin, too. Avocados, olives and nuts are good sources of fats. Use full-fat dairy, such as whole milk yogurt and heavy whipping cream. The softer cheeses usually have more fat than the harder ones. Eggs have good fat in them, too.

The oils and butters are great for adding fat to vegetables, so be generous with them wherever you can. Just make sure you avoid the seed oils, and stick to healthier oils like olive, avocado and coconut oils.

Try the one in this group’s FAQ:

It’s my take that you really only need to guesstimate the protein macro, because carbs are already set because of keto and fats are really used as a lever for satiety. If you restrict calories too much, the new way of eating won’t be sustainable, so you’re setting yourself up for failure.

But your body needs proteins. Better too many than too few.

But no problem if you’re short on carbs. They’re not essential. And any shortage on fats can be made up by stored body fat. But if you’re consistently short on proteins, your body starts harvesting muscle tissue for necessary proteins.

(shelley) #39

my apologies, I meant very high fat.

could you give me the recipe.

BTW, two FAQs I suggest reading (not skimming):

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

They both have a lot of useful information. And, in some cases, they may even disagree with each other.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #41

Life is difficult enough, don’t make it worse for yourself.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #42

(PSackmann) #43

My favorite for this type of craving is a pat of butter with some salt sprinkled on it. Follow with some water, then repeat after 10 minutes if still feeling that craving. This will give you a bit of fat for satiety, and salt to help with electrolyte balance.

Butter is a real food, as are avocados and olives. Chicken legs and thighs have a good fat to protein ratio if you eat the skin, as do most steaks, and regular ground beef.

Although I don’t drink it any more, here’s how I did it…Table spoon of butter or coconut oil. Pour in hot coffee. Use hand stick blender to froth it. Without frothing/mixing with hand stick or blender, it’s an oil-slicked mess on top of the coffee. :nauseated_face: Heavy blending makes all the difference.

(shelley) #45

Should I be eating the fat on the chicken?
I have heard wings are okay on Keto.

(Barri) #46

There are plenty of recipes on the internet, almost as many as there are people who drink it. People add all kinds of things to their “bulletproof” coffee, but it is basically coffee with fat in it, and typically some combination of butter and coconut oil.

(shelley) #47

Butter may be a real food, but I am not going to have a stick of it for lunch, I guess what I meant was main meal food.

Shelly, what happened between this this thread and what you posted in February, 2018? Seems to me that you knew alot more about what to eat in February, 2018 than you seem to know in this thread. Your menu below (minus the yogurt and berries) is pretty spot on keto.

[quote]Typical day, breakfast 2 eggs, some cheese and a quarter avacado, lunch is some chicken with veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers). Dinner is either chicken, steak or fish (in olive oil with butter), 1/4 avacado, zucchini noodles with low carb salsa, parmesan cheese,
olives. Snack either nuts or Greek high fat yogurt with berries. I usually have one coffee a day with 18% fat cream.[/quote]

(PSackmann) #49

No one suggested you should do so.

(Doug) #50

To each their own. :slightly_smiling_face: It can be compelling once you start in on it. Many is the time I’ve gotten out a stick or larger piece, and while cooking something else or watching TV or playing games I’ll whittle away on the butter and before I know it a lot is gone…

(shelley) #51

unfortunately after gaining the weight the 1st week, I figured I was doing things all wrong and gave up. But I keep hearing about Keto being a good diet, I really want to give it a chance, but am as confused as I was before and don’t want to gain or give up.

I will look over everything I have read hear and try my best.

I still need some kind of snack, the butter thing is not going to cut it :frowning:

(shelley) #52

will it work if I melt the butter and pour it in the coffee, I don’t have a blender

(shelley) #53

So you just chew on a stick of butter? Isn’t that very unhealthy?
I am concerned regarding so much fat, is this not cause of heart attack?

(PSackmann) #54

There are plenty of recipes for savory fat-bombs on the site, but don’t knock a bit of butter and salt until you’ve tried it. I understand, I was leery myself at first, it’s surprisingly satisfying, especially if you keep it to a pat at a time.

I sometimes use corned beef or rare Angus beef instead of the Canadian bacon. You could even use some sliced or shredded chicken. Even some lox. Any meat would do. Whatever is convenient (and tasty?) that has almost no carbs.

I typically use the Sargento sliced cheeses.

Nothing wrong with proteins. Its carbs that aren’t wanted.