Snacking on the go?

(Graham) #1

Close to completing my first week and already encouraged that my fasting blood glucose is falling, so want to stick at it. I realise it is probably to early to look at fasting for a day. So my query is what to do tomorrow. I’ll be out walking all day with some non keto friends. What snacks would you advise me to take?
Will pre-prepare a breakfast, as I’ve an early start and will be home in time to have a balanced evening meal.
It’s what do I do for food for the 12 hours in between that’ll keep me going.
Any advice appreciated as I have all day today to prep snacks,
Thanks
Graham

(matt ) #2

You can take nuts, cheese, cured meats, pork rinds, peanut butter(if that’s OK with you, some don’t eat it once keto), avocado, hard boiled eggs

Take some keto-aid if you are worried about your electrolytes.

(Karen) #3

OK, so I’m a hoarder! I called the Walmart to complain that there weren’t any Mac’s salt and vinegar chiccharones. The told me what day they would be in. I bought all 7 packs of them!! I hope they order more. Oink!!

They are in my car. Also I keep a jar of pickles in the car.

K

(matt ) #4

Watch the ingredient list on the flavored pork rinds. They often use starch as a binder and add sugar well because??

You can always add salt and vinegar at home. Use the powdered vinegar and sprinkle that on.

(Karen) #5

Yep, you are right! Grrrrrrrrr a bit of maltodextrin. Still 0 for one serving. Better count as 1g though.

K

(Michael ) #6

I usually just abstain from food when out but like you said, a little early to experiment with fasting. If I really think I’ll need some calories when out all day, i like a plastic bag full of bacon. If I forget and have an emergency, there’s two safe gas station options: sunflower seeds without added sugar and pork rinds.

If you want healthier advice. Carry a plastic bag full of brocolli with butter

(matt ) #7

Most gas stations have jerky but good luck finding some without sugar…so annoying.

(Roy D) #8

Olives and pickles are available in snack packs (small plastic containers, containers are typically sold as a 6-pack). Olives are great keto food, dill pickles are also good (just stay way from the sweet pickles).

Also beef jerky and cheese sticks. (You’ll need to look at the packages of beef jerky, some contain sugar/carbs, but there are some low carb options typically available).

The best brand of jerky I’ve found so far is Duke’s. I’ve seen this brand in Walmart stores.

(matt ) #9

I just had Castelvetrano olives for the first time last week.

OMG what an amazing flavor. I need to get more.

Planning a trip to the Italian Market in South Philly. They have an amazing olive shop that I need to visit.

(Michael ) #10

I never find sugar free jerky here. If i eat jerky, there’s always a sugar compromise involved

(matt ) #11

We make jerky when we want it…so easy and soooo good.

(Ethan) #12

I need a dehydrator

(Lonnie Hedley) #13

Maybe low/no carb count, but it has a higher glycemic index than sugar. I avoid like the plague.

The snacks I usually throw in my lunch box are:

• string cheese
  • slices of salami or pepperoni
  • nuts
  • pork rinds
  • beef jerky sticks

(Tessy M.) #15

Love Dukes! I find it a lot around here.

(Liz ) #16

1 ounce macadamias or pecans, cheese crisps that are 100% cheese like Parmesan thins or moon cheese, pepperoni, bacon, hard boiled egg.

Bring enough that it’s a full meal & eat it all at once rather than grazing on it & you should be good to go until dinner.

They sell that at Starbucks? I like that stuff.

(Liz ) #18

Yes that’s where I found them! So expensive of course, but I had a gift card :smile:

Smart thinking, I usually give away Starbucks gift cards but next time I get one, I’ll go buy some moon cheese :slight_smile:

(matt ) #20

Cheese crisps are super easy to make…just turn on the oven and put in the slices of cheese. Watch til crisp as you like