“Slaptember!” Challenge

(Patty W) #142

Today has been a good day. Just came off 2 night shifts, so curious to see how or if it might affect me. After reading some of the veteran carnivores, I bumped up my fatty meat intake the last 2 days. The “dieter” me is a little anxious, as I don’t want to lose the gains (or should I say losses) I’ve made this past week. But overall, still feeling good, sleeping well (best nap ever today…I’m thinking the cool, rainy weather helped that), Had to run a couple errands this morning & got hungry, so I tried a couple of Burger King plain meat patties, ok but meh. When I got home, I had some leftover pot roast that was very tasty to complete breakfast. Finally dinner was 16 oz air fried tri-tip with some melted tallow & fleur de sel which was delicious! Hope everyone else is doing well…Good night!

9/10/20 AM update: scale went down again this morning…this blows my mind…eating more fat & calories caused me to lose weight. I’d heard people say this, but it’s so counter-intuitive until you see it yourself. This a going to be so interesting to see where this all goes…

(Keto Koala 🐨) #143

Still stuck in hospital… So I’m missing Carni SO much. The doctor came earlier and said I could leave today…I got all excited… then an hour later he comes…and says… No I have to stay and get more tests. I’ve had two MRI’S… 3 ultrasounds, a CAT scan. A zillion blood tests… Not to mention 500 billion carbs.:scream:. So breakfast is like 7am… toast…margerine… sugary jam…or vegemite… Milk… instant coffee, sugar packets…about 4!!! Cerial…Then at about 9am… they offer you " Morning tea"… I wanted a coffee, with a splash of milk…no sugar… And he tries to hand me 4 sweet cream filled biscuits… I said " No thanks". Then 12Pm…Lunch… I got Coffee, Apple cake and custard, yoghurt, milk, bread, margarine, lamb with potatoes and carrots and stuff…THEN they will offer afternoon tea… then Dinner at 6pm… last night I got bread…a main meal…AND sandwiches… AND desert… then they offer " Supper". :scream:. Holy Hell!!! I really will roll out of here. It’s very hard… as it’s this or starve. They feed diabetics this stuff!!! I asked for keto… or very low sugar carb… but they said this is what I get. Like I’m grateful… yeah they feed us. They are saving my life… I AM grateful… but these carbs.:upside_down_face:. I eat too slow… they are coming to take the tray away. I’ve had a few mouthfuls​:see_no_evil::joy_cat:

I had a stay in hospital 3 years ago for 2 nights. I’m in a different Australian state but can see the same foods being served as per the national dietary guidelines guiding the faceless hospital nutritionist (and accountant - it’s cheaper feeding patients processed carbs).

The thing you may be able to control is when you eat. As most of the foods are processed carbs in packets, you can stack them in the drawer by the bed. Then eat 2MAD or OMAD. It’s interesting that they won’t feed you low-carb. I asked for low-carb when I was staying in hospital but the nutritionist’s low carb was about 150g of carbs per day.

Maybe attempt the time restricted eating, as that may at least get you into nutritional ketosis. Best wishes.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #145

@FrankoBear Yet they feed obese diabetics this crap… it’s scary!!! They save their lives but then feed us crap…The chicken I got yesterday was good. But covered in sugary sauce stuff. I barely ate lunch… barely ate breakfast. Then get told… " I don’t eat enough, like a little mouse"
…Just cos I don’t want to eat creme caramel. Or Dry Apple turnover with custard.:roll_eyes:. I’ve been here 4 days and one night so far. I would have gained for SURE. Though I guess I needed to. But the carbs are making me feel weird… the sugar…!!! Plus it’s SO boring in here. Lol. You even have to pay for the tv. Thank God for the internet.:upside_down_face:. Can’t wait to quit the carbs.

(Deborah) #146

Hi All,
I’m hopping in here a little late, but ready to get back to Carnivore. My goal is to make it through this month with just zero carb. I’ve been through alot this year and ready to do this and feel better!

I feel really good after my two days of OMAD carnivore, or, two days of 23.5 hr fasting.

Tuesday night was slow oven baked beef ribs at my mum’s. She made 4 ribs when I usually only get through 2. I was able to leisurely eat 3. And I get that amazing direct off switch that we can experience on carnivore, where between bites something says ‘stop’. The fork goes back to the plate and there is the creation of this amazing thing called “left overs”, and they are carnivore left overs. We see in a lot of posts in these challenges that peeps are eating their carnivore left overs.

Wednesday night was pork terrine and mackerel (1 tin ~ 120g). Sort of a surf and turf.

I have to have breakfast it’s just after 2pm so I will do another OMAD feed today:
Fillet steak + mackerel + 3 eggs (the chickens have started laying again after a winter break).

I looked at my data on chronometer (right up near the top of the thread) with carnivore and see I’m getting lots of lovely zinc (zoinks!) but manganese looks a bit low on the inputs. Then I saw there is 20mg available manganese in the zinc supplement I was taking daily during winter ‘flu’ season, so it’s all covered. The thing about OMAD and working with data approximations is that it is easy to work out. I’m getting some regular blood tests done next week where I track my bio-markers. I’ve been feeling a bit tired but also working a bit too hard. So, we’ll see what they say.

Time for afternoon breakfast.

OMAD wouldn’t work for Amy, she needs her calories and can’t do it on OMAD.
And the stupid medication/painkiller makes her hungry a lot. And the carbs. There is simply no even vaguely good solution :frowning: I told Amy to grab the milk, it’s not as carby as most packed stuff, at least. I wouldn’t want to eat disgustingly sweet puddings and biscuits later either.
At least the hospital has much money for food (compared to Hungarian hospitals. you don’t find desserts and apple juice there. especially not 3-4 desserts per meal. and sandwitches when the meal already has bread. who is the insane person who came up with this? though Hungarian hospitals are able to give rolls and biscuits for the first 2 meals on a ch restricted menu… but it’s wholewheat and 180g carbs for the day anyway) so there is much food, one can choose. The cooked meal is almost okay and it’s 2 times a day. Well today they mixed some lamb with vegetables - and that was 1/4 of the plate, 2/4 was vegetables and 1/4 potato. I saw rich European countries’ hospital food, I don’t know if that was exceptional but plenty of plain meat, not breaded as it’s too popular in Hungary, not mixed with everything else… Well, people pay for it but with the money for all the desserts and sandwiches, the Australian hospital could give more meat too. Or some eggs in the morning, not only bread and cereal and dessert! And the amount is too much for most people with zero hospital activity. And the sugar is bad for everyone. My high-carber SO who is thriving on his diet, eating 1000 kcal cakes for breakfast and has dessert about 20 times a week., well he would roll out of the hospital unless he would be in control (he is vain, health-conscious and hate added sugar so he would). But all the people who needs less carbs and even less sugar? It’s horrible for them.

I should forget about this topic but hard still my poor friend is in hospital. And I hate when people do their job badly, harming people in the process.

My woe has problems too as I almost completely run out of eggs. The usual soup will have seitan balls instead of the usual many eggs, how tragic is that? Even though my seitan is extremely delicious.
Unless I figure out how to use the leftover liver :slight_smile: Liver balls in soups are a thing here! Oh maybe I just make the soup plain and everyone will have the option to eat it with liver. The soup is my onion soup as I have no other option ever. Very rarely we buy chicken or guineafowl, we have nice meat soup then but doubt any other animal group would make good soup, maybe I will try. Is pork soup is a thing? Because I never ever heard of it. And I hate beef soup and can’t buy bony parts for it anyway. Soups are from bony parts, right? We always did that.
I absolutely need soup very often and it’s problematic on carnivore-ish as my only option is my mixed vegetable soup. Not a big problem as it has barely any plant matter and I am fine with that but still, I have this instinct to avoid it when possible. Not planned things happen often enough, at least my planned meal should be as proper as possible. Well, it’s the best possible now… That’s why I need my eggs, the soup is almost exclusively water with a tiny bit of fat and extremely little vegetables. Flavored, slightly fatty water. Alvaro doesn’t accept it without the eggs despite he gets all the big vegetable parts because the soup has them too.
I am the one into the liquid part of soups :slight_smile: I dislike when he make his usual soups with almost no liquid. He likes dense soups.
And I totally like meat/bone soups too but I never made them and I need some proper ingredient for it. I try to buy another tender chicken, the last one was really good.

But there is another option, fish soup. It needs multiple fishes but I can buy some… Hopefully Alvaro can make it well, he is the chef for meaty dishes, I only fry the livers as it’s not the big weakend meaty dish, just a weekday one :slight_smile: Fish soup is very serious business in Hungary, it’s a big thing here. I ate it 2 times in my life? It’s unusual but I had no social life, Mom disliked fish and never made it then I became a vegetarian… And almost everyone makes it super spicy and I can’t handle that. So this is an idea, fish soup :slight_smile: Even for the poorest one, we need at least carp (and we obviously will use our usual cheap fish, hake too). We probably will broke at many points the rules for making a true Hungarian fish soup but I don’t care, I just want something nice and soup-like! I ate less soup lately (often but if it was Alvaro’s vegetable soup, I just can’t eat it galore) and I miss it. I used to eat way over 1 liters a day on a soup-y day… 2 surely happened. It’s nice. And it should be thin but flavorful… I thought about making soup only for myself. I only have my egg yolk, water, some flavoring (including vegetables, I can’t make good soup without vegetables, their wonderful flavor is very important. but a meat soup can get away with very little if the meat is tasty enough. I think. it’s not like I have much experience).

So, I want soup!!! 2 liters would be nice for today. It’s not so much, just the right amount.

(Kellyn ) #149

I got my glucose and Hemoglobin A1C. I am quite happy because on carnivore my glucose went down 2 points and my Hemoglobin A1C reduced by .1 . I am hoping to get my cholesterol results today or tomorrow and will post the results as well. I fasted 12 hours before my blood work and did not have black coffee as I read on the Cholesterol Code website that it can mess with the glucose numbers. The nurse measured my waist but did it at my belly button which is an inch below my smallest part. She said my waist was 38 inches but my last measurements that I took it was 37 inches.

fast one guys. busy busy morning

yesterday was 1 lb ribeye steak
1/2 lb hamburger patty
6 link sausage…yea yea my processed sausage HAHA

was gonna do 2 steaks but in the end I wanted something different. Will do 2 steaks today. I need my steaks and I function best on just that.

Usual report. Feeling wonderful. Hate the weather tho cause we got 4-5 days of Tstorms on us and I got some sinus pressure happening, head kinda woozey from allergies from the acres and acres of weed whacking and mowing we did before these storms. MY GOSH too much land to handle LOL taking usual drugs for my allergies/head and they are helping a bit.

today I got 2 ribeyes and will stick to them and enjoy.
All good in zc land for me.

Swing shift today, so I don’t go into until 10ish. Get off around 6… Got a truck to unload sometime this morning, then stock. It was really nice to sleep in - even if it was just an hour. Haven’t eaten anything yet…just my coffee.

Dinner last night was just a couple burger patties. Had chuck roast with some good fat tucked in there- for lunch yesterday. Three of the kids were home for dinner, plus one’s friendv- to make apple pies. :upside_down_face: Tempting but not that tempting. The kids woofed down the burgers though. I saved some of the ground beef and just cooked it up in chunks to take to work today.

So, after I get off work today, depending on daylight and weather, I might try to roto-till part of the garden that has no veggies. Just to tidy it up a bit. I don’t want to mess with the back section where the “Squashzillas” are. (I can’t wait to weigh them, and see what they come out to!!)

A while back, on another thread, I talked about a dear dear friend who suffered from rheumatoid arthritis. She had come into the store one day and was shocked at how much weight I had lost, and wanted to know exactly how I did it. So I told her. All the foods I eat are ones that her doctors had told her to stay away from. Well, she went on the diet, and was losing and looking great. But then she came in the store yesterday, and I barely recognized her!!! OMG— she was down 34 pounds!!! On a 5’1" person - that was insane!!! She looked AMAZING!!! Not the end of the story though…
Her daughter, who is quite overweight, had come up here to visit recently. Was absolutely shocked at her mother’s weight loss, and is now going Keto as well! I am just SO HAPPY for these wonderful people who are regaining their health, enjoying life- finally, going off meds, and feeling younger and healthier! Anyways…that just made my day! Had to share.

I’mma gonna go play in the kitchen and see what kind of carnivory omlette or egg thing I can whip up. Then off to work. Cheers all!

10g sausage today (it’s a decent amount when I have liver and bacon ;)) and not on a proper egg sandwich as I barely have any eggs left… Oh well, I microwaved some egg whites as I have some leftovers and I still could use an egg for the liver/pork skin… dumplings? in the soup and it was very very good! I still have no idea how people make liver dumplings/balls for soup but mine is very good :slight_smile: Yay! I could eat those dumplings without a soup too, I will try that! But I probably will fry it, not boil. I still have liver left, it seemed very wasteful just eat them alone… I just eat a bit of it here and there :slight_smile: Poor chickens but I will buy some liver again… Very useful. Liver is what I just can’t get from proper sources yet. But a little goes a long way :wink:

Dinner will be a little of this and that… Scrambled eggs with fish and bacon, some liver, some cheese, maybe more sausage… Everything I have.

(Kellyn ) #153

here is my cholesterol results plugged into the cholesterol code site. Looks great to me!

(Edith) #154

So… I have to admit, sometimes I worry that the more food variety I remove from my diet, the more I find I can’t add back in and the more limited my diet becomes.

Part of my challenge for this month was to remove processed meats. This afternoon I was hungry, but I didn’t want to cook anything, so I munched some pork rinds. Yes, they are processed, but they are carnivore and they only contain pork and salt. I have to admit, I am not feeling great after eating them. Another food off the list.

you go for it S!! Enjoy your banquet :sunny:

that was a wonderful post to read SB, thanks for sharing that good info on how well they are doing!!!

darn right KP…happy you got great numbers and doing fine!!

I get this. Thing is the ZC menu is the great equalizer about our food and what effects it has on us. Since we ‘are so clean’ when we eat something, even zc options and find we don’t do well on them, then, hmm, we really shouldn’t be eating them.

But I get what you mean. If you have a desire to ‘go back into keto’ down the line and add stuff back in, you will be amazed just how icky you will be from plant foods and such. Yes some will be ok and you will do well on, but more will probably give you troubles but the thing is, then ya know.

I worried too but then in the end, for me personally, I am zc to the grave so I found I just stopped caring about what if I add back and all those thoughts, but yea, those thoughts hit many sometimes. You will work thru all of it as you progress plus your goals might change, and other things, so focus on now and don’t worry too much about it all…well that is what I do now LOL

SO I HAD A LITTLE REVELATION

well maybe, it was a thought that just struck me and I thought–hmmmm!

Old times when I started very low carb into keto area I had cravings but they went like this mostly: I want XYZ. I want it, I need it, I desire it and I won’t eat it…I won’t I won’t…yea well willpower won sometimes but most times…I knew I was gonna eat it----I had that nagging subconscious thought and I knew it the whole time LOL, that I was gonna eat it point blank and binge out for a few days and then ‘get back on plan’. So I fought those times and won a bunch but alot of times my underlying thoughts were always…you know you are gonna do it, so just do it and deal later with the plan.

But I was craving yesterday and I was like, oh yea pizza. I want it, yum, I desire it, I am gonna eat crust and all and hell I could smell it even, all triggered by a tv commercial that came on while I was folding clothes and that stupid commercial just nailed me. BUT THE DIFFERENCE I have been experiencing now for a long time is this-----my subconscious underlying voice has a brand new tune. It is ‘yea crave all ya want, you know there is no way in hell you are ever gonna eat that crap!’ and I did just that. I ohh’d and ahh’d over it a bit, craved it and just said in the end, nope, no way you will ever allow yourself to eat that so JUST LET IT GO now cause this craving is useless.

done deal. did the old, pffffttt, over and done with and moved on fast.

In think this might be what people call ‘it clicked for them’ or ‘they flipped’ into another realm of thinking ya know.

I always wanted things to click or flip my thoughts and wondered how did these people get it and why couldn’t I ever get it?

I think I did now LOL I think it all clicked for me cause my underlying voice is now a negative to those foods and it is a good thing being that when I say I won’t allow myself to eat them it is cause I hold no value at all to them. Old times when struggling thru cravings I knew sometimes I was gonna go all in and cave…but now my inner voice is truly telling me, ah, crave a bit and then you know deep down not one darn thing is gonna come from that craving, so walk on by, you ain’t gonna eat it cause you never want it again!

So I don’t know, is that what clicks for people? If it is then I got it :slight_smile:

I don’t know but it was different thinking that I focused on and realized I have been doing this for a longer time now, years, and I realized that maybe something ‘clicked for me’ long ago and now I am just realizing the fullness of that??

whatever, but I like it :wink:

just spouting off some insight I got into me. ever changing and progressing I guess

(Edith) #157

I was like that the other day when my daughter baked an angel food cake. It did smell heavenly.
It was hard not to have a slice, but I decided my experiment was worth more.

But, if I do something off plan, I do have to be careful with guilt. Guilt equals stress. Today, I had some smoked turkey for dinner. It was hard to eat without some kind of sauce, so I put the tiniest amount of BBQ sauce on it and I’m stressing because I’m feeling guilty and worried that I messed up my experiment. I know in the whole scheme it doesn’t matter that much, but that’s my personality , a mild extremist.

Have you ever tried prosciutto?

Guilt is so not my thing… I may eat 460g sugar in one sitting, I still don’t feel any guilt. But that was before keto. After keto I had 30 slices of cake :slight_smile: After carnivore… 130g carbs a day was the most! I am actually quite impressed, I came a long way…

I can’t do it this week. I tried, somewhat but the tiny extras added up and too much focus annoys me somewhere and I run out of eggs too and everything went downhill. I tried with a very nice bacon/fish/cheese/egg thing at night when I got hungry, it seemed okay and then chaos ensued, more than usual. I was hungry and probably focus and tracking annoyed me.

I go back to OMAD if possible. I need long term satiation. True carnivore could help but I can’t be that strict now (IDK why. I plan a good day, I eat my nice carni dishes and things just happen. my woe is still the part where I have some order, by the way, my life is way worse). I have high hopes for November though. And next week! There is zero reason I can’t do carnivore for some days at least. Zero. I probably was too relaxed. I will skip the “spice and condiment” style vegetables too (I mean, onion and whatnot in dishes, not real spices and condiments), it’s not like I really need them, they are just part of certain dishes. And I will eat more if I am not very very very full yet. Stupid midnight eating is clingy but I get hungry a tiny bit. I can’t handle being hungry a tiny bit. Or getting tempted. Or feeling restricted, too focused…

Sometimes I think I should just give up and eat whatever (it wouldn’t do much difference anyway, IMO).
But sadly, I can’t give up. That’s why I struggle and try to lose since 8 years with less than zero results (if we consider fat-loss results. I got some interesting infos and did fun experiments). Though now I really go for improved well-being, first of all.

I try to avoid the forum too but I probably will fail as I always do. It’s a serious mental problem.

Why am I a keto forum at all? It’s not like I can do this super strict woe.

Sorry guys, I do my best not to come for a long, long time. Or until I have multiple carni days under my belt. Maybe it will happen this year.
(I am a tad pessimistic now. I am an irrationally huge optimist normally.)

This sounds like that song from the Frozen movie. Nice insight Fangs. The psychology of eating and the physiology of nutrition is such an interesting crossover.

I visited the butcher yesterday and organised some things. Based on previous inspiring posts by @VirginiaEdie Edith I’m going to ‘clean up’, or at least simplify (in a complicated way) my cooking fats. The butcher can get beef suet in 1kg doses. So I ordered a kilo. Sounds like a drug deal.

Rendering the suet to tallow: https://fireinabottle.net/grassfed-beef-suet-is-an-excellent-source-of-stearic-acid/

And I’ll mix it with butter.

If we count today (remember I live in the future, so it is already 9/11 (auspicious)), that makes this an opportunity for a 20 day suet tallow challenge inside Slaptember!

The butcher was also making custom-made free range non-grain fed pork and organ meat sausages that are basically pork meat, beef liver, beef kidney, pork spleen, beef fat and pork fat wrapped in an intestinal casing. So those sausages will join the steak and eggs.

Somehow, except for the butter (fermented dairy fat), the other dairy foods seem to have naturally fallen away this Slaptember.