“Slaptember!” Challenge

(Edith) #102

Yeah, I’m 54. It’s been almost four months since my last period. The hot flashes have been, well… let’s say… frequent since then. :hot_face:

Icky day yesterday. I felt polluted inside from that booze. Not bad at all but SO off.

Feel wonderful this morning :slight_smile:

On the scale I am down .2 and I tell ya, I love those .2s…they all add up big time in the end. My vanity lbs are whittling away little by little.

Which is fine, cause I say over and over the reason this plan works so well for me is I am ‘allowed’ to eat ALL I want when I want. Not one bit of thought on that. I never pull back my food if hungry, I never give it any thought on not eating when I want something. I hold ZC and all wonderful benefits of full health and more come my way. I work the plan tight and the body gives it to me on its’ timeline…win win for me.

My bestie wants me over to swim before the weather change that is coming to cold kicks in and I am SO on that fence. I say I won’t ‘partake a nip’ but in the end, the 2 of us together, omg we go hog wild sometimes LOL Tomorrow I might log on and say, omg I feel icky HAHA oh the crazy of it all :wink:

today I got a big ribeye steak
paired with shrimp

told hubby I REQUIRE going out to the all you can eat crab leg place and hunkering down and inhaling a gazillion legs. I can not find a good sale, and in the end, all you can eat (and guys, what I can eat in crab legs would scare most of you LOL) and I sure get my money’s worth so I think a plan to hit this restaurant is in order for me soon now.

off to see what the day brings…

yea that was my time. 53 I got periods whenever, no telling, they came and left whenever they wanted and then at about 54 I hit the hot flashes and more and I was going into very low carb then and it helped a ton and then I hit ZC and that helped more. At 54 I could get spotting for a day then gone for months, then back again for 2 days, NO telling but I never gave it any thought. I worked thru the symptoms best I could and let zc help a bit, and it did but luckily for me I blew thru it kinda fast. Like it didn’t drag on so I got away ok thru it all. Just hold on, you got this LOL the other side is wonderful ya know :wink:

No Fangsy! I knew this would happen. You’re going high crab!

(Liz) #106

I feel you! Went through it about 8 years ago, the flushes can be so hard to handle if you are out or at work etc. At the time I was low carb and my Dr said soya products would help, switched to soya milk and it really did, no use to you now though, sorry! :disappointed: I am in the uk and what worked for me in the longer term was a magnet called ‘Ladycare’ dodgy name…lol… you wear it either side of your panties, at the time I could not sleep more than an hour or two at night and was desperate to try anything…amazingly it worked within 48hrs and I had my first good night in months…maybe there is something similar where you are? It does pass so hang in, really feel for you :crossed_fingers:

I went to the town today (35km cycling… after my 24km yesterday, I became sooooooooo tired :D) and bought soft sausages (I prefer dry but this was on sale - and a drier one with dextrose, cheaper, harder, the brand that has the allegedly very good bacon but dextrose… why they put dextrose in it? and I like this other brand anyway, the horse and turkey sausages were from them too and they tasted good. they put proper things there, yeah, not farm meat but we can’t have everything at Very Desperate Measures) and bacon (the dextrose one, I will survive this one time, the sugar content is very tiny, obviously and I am curious). Brie and some interesting harder cheeses too, the latter ones are normally much more expensive and as we are perfectly happy with Gouda and Edam, we wait until a sale to try the more expensive ones. We never tried these, just cheddar from the same brand and it was very good. I have a “cheesier” phase now and it’s useful when buying meat is harder than usual.
But Alvaro is the real cheese lover, I usually only use a very little here and there, to spice things up.
He made egg stew from 30 eggs today.
So I will have some very nice carni days :slight_smile: And then I get some pork. And then we will see.

The soft sausage was okay, I prefer spicier dry stuff but it was quite good. And sweet. I usually don’t feel spicy sausages sweet, maybe I become more sensitive…

14 days for this guy to start feeling really good on a carnivore diet.

People could join the challenge today and still get the benefits before the end of the month.

(hahaha my YouTube algorithm is flooded with carnivore videos)

(Edith) #109

Had some family over today. I stuck to carnivore, but I ate a lot of salami. My stomach is off this evening. Processed meats contain a fair bit of histamine to which I have some issues. I think my body likes avoiding the processed meats.

I shall be back on track tomorrow.

Meanwhile my body totally adored the presence of processed meat after some almost meatless days… It felt good and helped a lot with satiation. I feel I get more and more sensitive to the signs of my body and I had no problems before either.

I looked at a Facebook group about hospital food. Especially in Hungary. Frightening, really but I am very biased… Almost only bread for all meals except lunch is pretty normal. I didn’t know that there is a specific diet with only 180g ch per day. The food? Bread, what else? And biscuits. The photo showed nothing else (for breakfast and maybe the next small meal) and some people wrote yep, it’s fine and dandy for that ch diet. The goal seems to be to keep the insulin low. So no milk, that’s sugary and bad for that. And the bread was wholewheat (probably just very partially, hospitals have no money for special wholewheat bread, I would think).

But I saw a true 20g ch small meal. Not for the previous bunch so lactose was fine. Bread, of course, with kefir, the 2 items split the 20g into two… The big meal, dinner had a bigger piece of bread with 5g jam.

I know that money is a problem but still.
There is different food for certain different needs but I doubt a low-carber has any chances… Or I never heard about such a thing. And it’s one thing but even a high-carber needs protein and fat, actually way more than carbs as we very well know… Well, a slice of cheese or deli meat often appeared but not always everywhere and it’s still little, probably not only for me…

Sorry if it’s something I shouldn’t write here, I couldn’t resist and now I am not in the state to decide things, I couldn’t sleep all night (i.e. I am mentally a zombie, I can’t handle no sleep at all) and looked at hospital food and I will need time to get over it…

It’s feast night tonight before two days of OMAD. Getting back into the work groove after a week in the woods.

good for you for holding plan. it is key thru social times and more to hang in there and ya did great. Salami could mess with you…nice thing is as you hang onto plan and anything you do eat you see effects, it sure does help us narrow down what is good for us and not so great.

Yes. Sometimes we do research to check things out and what we see we don’t like. Same things for schools around here that offer lunch. It is mostly all bready/junky in a way but it does supply ‘food’ for kid that need a meal so? It is hard to fathom who truly handles the nutritional guidelines for establishments…scary sometimes truly!!

Yes the new work week is upon us and hope you have a good week!!

(Elizabeth ) #113

Slow roasted a 9 lb pork butt yesterday, packed some in the freezer this should make six or seven quick meals. $1 a pound… :slight_smile: 4 lb of salmon ready to be baked today That was $6 a pound. Have 10 lb of brisket at 2.49 a pound ready to grind up for burgers. Eating good on a budget this week.

So hubby walked in with a surprise for me.

A big old fat juicy cooked brisket hunk from the smokehouse store.

Oh I was in heaven and scared at the same time. This was that brisket that had ‘the rub’ on it that I don’t do so well on. But of course I jumped in and ate some and I have to say later, my throat even didn’t feel good, like it was ‘thick’…not closing off air or anything too crazy insane, but I felt like that rub effected me in not a good way. The meat is SO yummy but I have to say, there is alot leftover and I ain’t eating it. I realize this rub used on this brisket ain’t setting well with me so I am gonna have to just stop buying this meat from the store. So good, but not a good fit for me anymore darn it.

yesterday food was

6 oz beef tenderloin
a bunch of brisket from the little smokehouse store (and I think this will be the last time I write I ate that :wink:)
1 tin of sardines

I don’t like when I eat something that could be questionable for me and then I feel off. I know now it is off my eating list. I ain’t pushing myself in that area of getting effects from dry rubs or whatever seasonings anymore. Not worth it at all. A brisket, yea my own on my own grill/smoker, purchase one? Nope time to pass it on by.

Everything is well, got me a nice ribeye steak for later. Pair up with some chicken probably. Go from there. In a very non-hungry mode so I don’t feel food will be a big focus for me today.

Just cruising along and doing my zc thing :sunny:
but me thinks me best follow my ‘dump the processed for me foods’ a bit like I wanted to on my goals for this month, I been super slack already LOL

Well howdy Peeps!

Felt pretty good yesterday having roast beef, eggs and a little chicken. No dairy. Worked 930-4 mostly in the pharmacy. Ended up with another killer headache around 3pm. Managed to get through the last hour of work, then came home and went to bed. Those are definitely “fetal position” headaches. 2 inside of 2 days is highly unusual. Last time that happened I was in grade school. I am hoping that it as just a reaction to the weather system that moved into our area, or the lights in the pharm… Today, feeling much better. Only have a 4 hour shift from 10-2 today. I work Tuesday and Wednesday also, but put in for a couple vacay days before I go on business trip 14th-19th. Found out the company loaded a meal card for each of us, so I can get $45 in steak and eggs every.single.day. that I’m there!!! Is that not glorious!!! This is going to be a freaking vacation compared to my normal life! LOL!

So, as I figure, eats today will be beef and eggs. (And yes, my one cup of Aeropress coffee.) Speaking of eggs, going to waterglass another batch of fresh eggs later. The girls are still producing around 16-18 eggs each day - so plenty to store. I’m getting around 30-32 eggs per bucket. The number fluctuates with the size of the eggs. I’ve got 1-2 chickens out there laying dinosaur eggs. I swear one of them must be a triple yolker! With the kids and hubby enjoying hard boiled eggs so much, I’m boiling about 2 dozen twice a week to keep up with the demand.

Well. Off to get the day going now. Enjoy the holiday, everyone!

So happy for you cause being a farmer gal like you I KNOW how important this is to have your livestock performing SO WELL and you are getting fresh eggs that are so much better than store bought!!! Super cool!!

Sorry for those headaches, my goodness but hopefully you are over some hump. We also got 4-5 days of a weather rain system coming, my sinus is gonna nail me to the wall :frowning: Weather is a biggie for me.

CONGRATS on getting a loaded card to purchase meals. Anything you want and you can hold ZC easily on that amt of money per day. WOW I bet that takes a load off your mind, it would for me!

You’re rocking thru in great form SB!!

I had a modest lunch today, eggs, cheese, pork sausage, fish… I successfully avoided all the fruit temptation (and I picked apples and peaches, inspected pears… the grapes are just hanging near my head on the terrace. Alvaro brought home apples because we can’t have enough fruit… the usual) :slight_smile:
But my curiosity was too great and our webshop order arrived so I had a lick of maltitol. I never planned to buy any, just this small amount to test my hypothese. I formed that when I tasted chocolate with maltitol some months ago, out of pure curiosity, again… I do that a lot. And I was right. It’s not sweet to me despite most things are and Alvaro feels the same. It’s like eating some strange, grainy flour with a very very tiny amount of erythritol mixed in it. Oh well.

I decided I will use my egg sandwich a lot. It’s boiled eggs cut into half with a slice of sausage and cheese, stuck together with some mustard. It’s one of my favorite dishes right now.

(Patty W) #118

Wow, so glad I thought to check the forums this morning, & found y’all.
I’ve been keto on & off the past 3+ years. Back on since March, down 40# after a medical issue, stalled & regained 8# over 2 months doing sloppy keto (too much dairy, nuts, & artificial sweeteners). Decided to give carni a try, so started on 9/1/20 & committed to do the 30 days, only beef, salt, & water. I was a little skeptical, thinking it would feel too restrictive, or I wouldn’t feel good. OMG! I’m 7 days in & feeling awesome! If my Fitness Pal is correct, I ate a total of 8g carbs for the whole week :flushed: I’ve lost 10.8# so far, sleeping well with vivid dreams, joints feel better, not hungry, not obsessed with food, & best of all my fasting AM blood glucose was 95 today! Felt inspired to go for a walk this morning, a short route, but I was feeling so good & my energy/strength were going good, so I took a mod long route instead, & didn’t feel tired/beat when I got home! It’s feels like when I’m in the midst of a good 3-5 days fast, only I get to eat steak & burgers sometimes. First day I went to Costco to get steaks to supplement what I already had in my freezer stash. Got a great top loin primal that I cut off about 10-12 N.Y. strips, & a $50 air fryer to cook them in (I have yet to get the perfect steak from my cast iron cooking skills)…another OMG moment; air-fried steak turned out perfectly! Crusty outside, med rare inside. I’m looking forward to reading all the replies on this thread, & posting more about my N=1 experiment this month. Have a great holiday!

(Patty W) #119

Love the idea of the meat cookies & chicken chips! We have a local farm store here that sells duck skin. So I stocked up last Easter. I’ll render off the fat to save for frying (great with eggs) & have salted duck skin chips. And when I get pork or beef fat to render for lard & tallow, the cracklings are fabulous!

(Edith) #120

Hum… it’s seems there are more uses to these air friers than I thought. I consider buying one every once in a while.

This is certainly turning into a fun week! Got out half an hour early yesterday, did some shopping afterwards and got home a little on the late side. Hubby was thinking burgers for dinner. I was thinking otherwise. The three chuck steaks thawed faster than the ground beef, so we had three massive steaks on the grill. The ground beef is in the fridge for later, and I tossed a chuck roast in the slow cooker last night so I’d have lunch for today at work. Wasn’t supposed to need lunch today at work, since originally it was a short shift, BUT, someone is not coming into work today due to illness, so, guess who gets the OT?? =) I work Wed and Thurs too, but, then have Fri Sat and Sun off. Mon morning, I leave for another work assignment thru the following Saturday, then come home Sat afternoon. Am off until the 22nd.

Today is going to be insane at work. The day after a holiday always is, esp in the pharmacy. My boss is back from vacation, so, hopefully I can spend some time on other projects from her- rather than counting pills for 8 hours. One observation I’ve made from being pharm.tech. is how many medications there are. And, after learning what they’re used for- and also watching Dr. Fung, Dr. Berry, Dr. Ede, et al… it leaves me astounded at how much people could solve with a simple change in their diet. But perhaps they’d rather pop a pill (or two, or three, or six or seven…) I’m not talking just about Metformin- which Dr. Fung speaks about alot. But BP, anti-depressants, etc. I look back at the time period after our house burned down, and I internalized all the stress and worry. My BP shot up through the roof. Did my doc prescribe BP medication? NOPE. She said, “Let’s try to solve this through changing your diet. If that doesn’t work, then we can look at medications.” She put me on the Whole Foods diet. I lost 13 pounds in the first month. My BP dropped 20 points- both sys AND dys. She recommends taking more Vitamin D throughout the winter to avoid seasonal affective disorder, also. This is pretty simple stuff. But, whatev. I do my job, am happy to be there, and don’t say a peep about it - but dang- don’t people know they have the power to cure themselves through diet?! I think it was Hippocrates who said “Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food”. Ain’t that a lost truth?!

Okay, off the soapy box. Gotta get ready for a LOOOONG day. Carnivore happiness to you all!!!