“Slaptember!” Challenge

(Edith) #61

I just took some wings out of the freezer to cook them up for go to snacks. Thanks for the idea!

(Heather) #62

@Fangs I know exactly how you feel. My hubby does the same thing, tries to “eat less” to lose weight. It lasts for a couple of months and then he is right back to the bad habits. He’s seen the success I’ve had with carnivore, but says, “I could never eat that restrictive.” If he would only try…

My bright spot is my 14 year-old daughter, who has joined me in carnivore. She’ll be celebrating her one month carniversary tomorrow! I am so incredibly proud of her and it certainly helps to keep me in line as well. She still has little “treats” here and there (whipping cream w/ cocoa and one drop of sweetner), but overall, she’s really rocking it! She also does the same strength training as me, albeit with lighter weights.

(Edith) #63

I’m really settling in to full carnivore better than I expected. I was not really hungry today, and thought about trying for a 24 hour fast, but I decided to have lunch. Last time I 24-hour fasted, my exercise the next day was terrible.

I had a 10 ounce ribeye seasoned only with salt for lunch. Boy, am I full! I’m not sure how much I will be able to eat for dinner.

I always felt my favorite vodka flavorful. Very subtly, it’s vodka, after all, but good vodka HAS flavor. That’s why I drink it, I only drink tasty stuff (except beer in good company on a hot summer day, even pretty meh stuff works for that).

But I definitely feel water (and zillion things) sweeter now… Water had different flavors before too, surely most people feel it, that’s why they like one tap water and not the other or use their favorite mineral water… At least many people must work like that… But I know we don’t need to go low-carb for feeling things way sweeter, skipping added sugar only works like that too (at least it does in my family), I don’t know why.

For some reason, carnivore (those rare days in my life! so few… I don’t understand how they can be that effective) brought way bigger and way, way quicker changes regarding my taste as keto. Keto did nothing at all taste wise.
My tiny carnivore times made me feel raspberries SWEET. Really, really sweet. What. I never felt them sweet on keto. Maybe not eating sweeteners on carni while eating them all the time on keto had some effect :smiley: But I still eat sugars between carni times (and sweeteners but drastically less than before and I never ate much. just often). Doesn’t matter, my sweetness perception stays at a weird level. It has some tiny use even on carnivore as there are sweet things on that woe too, first of all, cream… I still don’t feel it overly sweet. But sweetness is overrated. I only want desserts sometimes and they are perfectly fine without being sweet. Sour cream with a tad of lemon and vanilla (it fits into my carnivore-ish) is nice. Inferior to eggy desserts but it takes less time to make it… It’s useful when I have less food than what I need. Lucky people with meat probably don’t need it as much. I go shopping soon. The beef farm is still silent.

After many years looking at carrots and seeing sugar, I am so fine :smiley: I still would taste the oranges. Just a bit. Or just look at the caleidoscope, that’s joy too :smiley: No, I would eat a slice and Alvaro would eat the rest. If I was a deadly sin, I would be Greed. Not gluttony, I want to know things. Sometimes it’s through eating.

I building my discipline or what with my weightlifting. Finally, I am totally back at it! I imagine it will do good to my (basically non-existing) discipline at eating as well. I don’t need much, I changed a lot and I like healthy-for-me food and can’t seem to stay away from carni for long. I had my experimenting, rebelling, questioning phase, I feel ready again. We will see.
(I kind of decided that I go back to low-carb as I don’t have proper meat and will come later but I can’t. I don’t have the type of willpower to eat more than insignificant amount of plants every day. I slip back to something very close to carnivore. I am doomed :slight_smile: )

(Kellyn ) #65

I had beef roast for lunch today. I am going out with my husband tonight and will be eating rib tips. I am going to try the vodka soda with lime, so I will post what I thought of it tomorrow. If I don’t like it, then I am cutting alcohol completely and just drinking soda water. I have to say that reading and posting on the zero carb threads have really kept me motivated and accountable. I am so grateful to be a part of this group.

wow to me it does sound like you are getting good improvements so just hold on for the ride!

and yea it is weird that the ZC Plan to heal is don’t limit anything. Just eat and eat all you need at all times…you know that is one of the most attractive things about this plan, I get to eat and never fear one ounce of guilt on any food I eat thru the entire day…old times I would be like, omg carb counts, kcal counts, I can’t eat that! and on this plan, I just eat and eat all I want, and when I am not hungry and super satisfied it is so natural not to eat. I lost all that feeling of deprivation on amts I can eat in a day so it is a great perk on this plan. Natural eating as we heal, our appetites will change as we heal and just follow the whole natural pattern for you personally and you will be fab on this plan!

Thanks, I am happy to know but sad to know also LOL that many of us have to deal with these situations.

My hubby can literally eat like 1 biscuit less in the morning, eat way lower amt of bread for lunch and dinner and cut back a bit and he can drop weight SO fast…but he won’t even do that. But again, he will figure it out cause he is huffing and puffing with the 30 lbs on him, if he continues to gain he will be forced to do something so…ball is in his court right now :wink:

Very very cool about your daughter, mine won’t go to zc with me but luckily she holds the ‘lc ways’ a bit so it is fab when we got kids that ‘get it ya know’…hey we are teaching them truths on carbs out there.

I am super glad you re-thought about fasting. Fasting is truly something ‘longer term zc people’ wil try and use thru some experimenting but they are more long term on plan and have healed their bodies alot more so that makes a difference big time.

Newer ZC people just want to eat. Just as you need. No need to stuff up or go crazy or go overboard ya know…you just eat and be happy eating :slight_smile: When we try fasting when new it can screw up your healing/ your appetite changes/ your nutrition your body direly needs but you deny it just that…so I am so happy to read you ate up that ribeye and enjoyed it!! Plus with exercise on new zc, go lighter on yourself a bit. You are dealing thru adaption which might be easy or moderate or ?? and pushing tough exercise as your body is changing over isn’t recommended, so take it easy on yourself, do what feels good but don’t go too hard.

You sound like ZC is floatin’ your boat :slight_smile: Happy for ya!!

And we are super grateful to have you in this group!! A good support group is only good if all of us do the supporting and chatting and you contribute alot!

I also love support groups and getting a good one like this, they are rare ya know…but I need them too, they keep my ZC as a real focus and knowing others are healing and getting great results keeps me wanting my plan. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I think that is smart about your booze, try things and just see. Best you can do and you will find your best path thru it for some drinks in your life!

(Ella Darcy) #70

Vitamin E can slow down Aunt Flo quite a bit. Check for interactions if you take any meds.

Slap HI to all :slight_smile: Slaptember is rolling along, seems like it is gonna be a fast month, I don’t know why I feel that but I do. Like time is gonna fly on this challenge.

Yesterday food was

1.5 lb. ribeye steak
1 lb. jumbo shrimp

wow it was alot but I got down every single bite…last few shrimp and a few bites of ribeye were taunting me but I handled them in the end! LOL

That was all I could eat in my day but later, around 8 I wanted ‘something’ but could not ‘do meat’ cause I was not that hungry. I wanted some salami slices, you know ‘processed light convenience food’ and realized I gave up that processed stuff for my challenge. I had no idea truly how much I do rely on it. ugh.

So I ate nothing, which was fine cause I ate big and well anyway and could not eat easily so it all worked out well. But now I find I am irked I ain’t having that processed food option like my salami in the fridge LOL
My sausage links, my meat sticks and more. They are truly part of me and my way of eating. I don’t do much at all with processed foods in any variety, but the few I was living on were a huge part of me and my day. Hmmm…see that, take away something and boom, you don’t even realize how much of an importance it was in your life.

Day 4 and no processed stuff but I don’t know if I can make my goal of this challenge :wink: I truly find myself wanting this stuff. For convenience mostly and for ‘lighter eating’ too but will hold strong as long as I can at this point and keep my ‘fresh food’ only for the month challenge…eh, will see how this goes down for me :sunny:

Feeling so great.
In my zc zone definitely.

All going well so far, just cruising along.

today I got beef tenderloin and I am hitting store for some other junk I need in the house for the family but I might ‘stalk the seafood counter’ and see what is there, scallops? crab legs? cause I got me a seafood hankering and shrimp is my go to but want something different. I wish I did oysters or clams or mussels but not a fan so will wander the store and find me ‘a to die for seafood side’ for my tenderloin.

WHAT’S UP? How ya doing? Great I hope!!! Check in when ya can!!

I think this is an excellent realisation for you. But it is also a trap.

There are varying degrees of “processed” food. I’m thinking about the head cheeses, terrines, pates and rillettes.

I know you are a ruminant eater, mainly cattle. There are other nose to tail bits to munch on when the ‘something’ urge rises.

@VirginiaEdie Edith brought up about suet. I got excited by that because of the stearic acid long chain fats in it. Any small yummy bits of cow fried in suet tallow might just smash the something urge especially if it is compounded by frustrating husband behaviour getting your cortisol up.

Edith and I were also talking about chicken wings. Now I’m wondering what they would be like fried or baked in suet tallow with salt? But why stop at chooks? I reckon duck is the go, so much fatter and more delicious than meat chickens. Ah, I know you don’t favour the bird in your plan. It’s surf and turf for Fangsy…

Hmmm how about scallops fried golden in beef tallow. Cripes, I’m making myself hungry. Time for my steak. :wink:

Thank you for the info! I would think with the amount of whole eggs and chicken thighs I eat, I’d be getting enough. But, perhaps not. I’ll add some into the daily supplements and see how we go!
Awesome!

(Kellyn ) #75

So my alcohol experiment was a BIG FAIL. I tried vodka and soda water with lime. It was not that good, but I drank it anyway since it was $4.00. I decided to try some of the flavored vodka. My next glass was orange vodka with soda water. This was just ok and had a weird aftertaste. Again it was $4 so I drank it. Then I ordered the blue raspberry vodka with soda water. It was so sweet. I checked online and the carbs were 7 in this vodka. I was so mad that I had ordered it, but it was $4 so I drank it. I then found out the orange vodka had some carbs too. UGH! I was just so disappointed in myself. :pensive: Lesson learned and what a hard lesson it was. I am so done with alcohol. I don’t need it and I don’t care if people get pissed that I sit at the bar and drink soda water.

Yes isn’t that so true FB!! I read everyone’s posts and what they ate and what they bough to go into the freezer and I start to drool sometimes LOL The more ya talk meat and seafood the more you want it and RIGHT NOW! :star_struck:

My problem is being an old timer kinda I ran the gambit of eating meat and seafood. I did buckets of wings. I did tons of omelets. I did mountains of bacon and NOW this stuff is not a draw to me at all hardly.

I am ‘so very narrow’ now on my eating. I can list the 10 things I do eat only in my life LOL and I know one hand of them is my more processed stuff like my sausage, my salami, my beef sticks, my taylor ham, my sardines and tuna in a tin.

I am steak to the hilt person. I thrive on that and it must be in my day. I love limited seafood but I like it as a ‘side filler’ to my steak. But after eating bigger and so well…my body wants smaller lighter items into that second meal----not all the time, I can go ravenous too but my days flip flop in big eat, not hungry for second meal so my reliability on my some processed was a key thing for me.

I love reading how people are slinging down wings and enjoying the heck out of them. I love reading how exciting and tasty the food is to them and thru the new experience and being so satisfied and full on their meals…I get all excited and then think, I did that, but don’t wanna do it now LOL I am right there with them being thrilled for them having such good food and great results!

You know, one thing I love is skinless chicken breast. I put the tiniest sprinkle of ‘rotisserie chicken spice’ on it and fry up in butter and I love eating it cold.

You gave me an idea…cube up and cook like 3-4 breasts and put a big old tupperware full of chicken into the fridge. Could easily be my ‘new go to’ instead of salami and more. Ahhhh, cause on vacation trips in the rv I do just that. As my go to on the road, well heck it can be my go to in the fridge. It is better than popping crap tater chips or any other thing, I just love the taste even cold so it could be my default that would work.

Well thanks a ton for making me think a bit more!! We got a problem we chat it out and make it work for us and never against us. Very cool.

That is what I love about a group just chatting it out…we got great context but all of the sudden someone else says something and boom, good resolution can come to anyone at any time!! I know it sure helps me a ton! Thanks FB!!

Did ya eat your steak yet? Now I am wanting my tenderloin but only 8:30AM here and way to early to think food, but now ya got me thinking HA

@Fangs…Meat cookies. Make a bunch of little mini burger patties, salted, and fried in beef tallow. Keep some on hand for those munchy moments. I really need to do this more, as the work schedule is cranked up incredibly, and I’ve got little time for food prep during the day.
Chicken chips. I tend to cook chicken thighs alot for myself. Once in while the skin gets stuck to the pan. I just fry it then bake it until super crispy- and voila! Chips…the best chips ya ever had! I’ve also removed skin from chicken that I cook for the fam - because they don’t care for it - so, I take that and fry it up into crispy chips too. Salt the H out of them, too.

Beef tallow is amazing stuff. I save all I can from cooking short ribs and beef plates, then use it later for frying eggs and such.

Spent the entire shift yesterday- standing - in the pharm. Legs were kinda sore after that. But, still had to grocery shop, and get dog food and organic chicken feed (to supplement the free rangers), and all that sort of stuff. By the time I got home, it was close to 7 pm. Had some chicken thighs (surprise surprise), and yep…I cracked open a beer. Hadn’t had one in ages but it was the Michelob LIght Ultra infusions… 5 carbs - as I recall. So, my bad. Cleaning things up today.

I’m removing most dairy, mainly cheese for this month and see how we go.

So…eats yesteday…
Burger patty (large)
piece of chicken
3 more pieces of chicken
and a beer.

Today, nothing but coffee at this point. Its my one day off. We’re having friends over for dinner, so I put two roasts in the oven. One for me, and one for everyone else. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
They are former farmers, both retired and well into their 80’s. Love veggies, and such. So, I’ll make some home grown sides for them (not me.)

Will report back later. Cheers to all my peeps!!!

@Fangs---- one more nom nom…hard boiled eggs. Slice in half longways. Salt, spread w soft butter, salt again, and pop it in the ole pie hole. That added bit of fat from the butter goes a loooong ways. Nothing really processed there.

Ahhh do not for one darn instant be disappointed in you! I tell you one thing…you tried, you had a good time tho trying all that booze and probably did have a good night SO HOT DARN GIRL YA DID GREAT if ya ask me.

You learned up some stuff about you. Watch the ‘mixers’ they put in anything cause we know it is all sugar related. Slowly find yourself that ‘new drink’ that WILL work for you, believe me it is out there, you just gotta find it and IF YOU want alcohol gone, then heck yea just do that.

Beauty of this whole thing KP is you find you in all this and we are gonna have some ‘ut oh’ moments finding that right thing for us but it is never a bad thing as we walk and work thru the best thing that will work for us.

and girl, I kinda want to be there with ya slamming down that many drinks and having fun :slight_smile: ahh the good old days!! :call_me_hand::crazy_face:

You did fine, you worked it out and tried and you learned new stuff and as long as you act on that and it takes you to a better place, I give ya a :innocent: for putting it out there and giving it a go!!!

(Edith) #80

I was finally hungry around 7pm after my big ribeye at lunch yesterday. I ate about five chicken wing Drummetts/niblets and an ounce of frozen raw liver.

This morning I am not hungry again but really low energy, my legs feel lead-like, so I ate breakfast anyway: two slices or bacon, two fried eggs, and some beef brisket. I’ll see if that helps with the energy.

I’ve lost three pounds since Tuesday, which I find very interesting. Before this trial, I ate very little fruit/vegetable matter: just a handful of berries or a few pickle spears each day, maybe some hot sauce on wings. Why have I lost weight? Is it glycogen loss from the little bit of carbs I ate or is it lowering of inflammation from that little bit of carbs? I guess I’ll find out as the month progresses.

(Edith) #81

I read the articles to which you posted links. Very interesting about needing saturated fat to burn stored body fat. Maybe that is why I just can’t eat for many hours after having a fatty beef meal.