“Slaptember!” Challenge

just off the cuff, why zc fits me so well is I am not a cook.
Never a kitchen lover, no interest in baking ever. So that helped me a ton truly. I despised low carb substitution meals when I tried to make them, they are hideous truly for me. Slap meat on fry pan, done. Steam seafood fast, done. Best option for a non-foodie type non-chef.

Another was I was always a meat hound. I always geared at meat and loved it. Loved my seafood too…so this step was a blessing in that I could eat a ton of ribs and not think ‘oh they are fatty and high kcals’ and I can’t eat more than 2…thank heavens for 0 kcal counting on zero carb with no tracking. I hated tracking like the devil and so happy that is out of my life.

Carb addiction. No matter how I tried carbs drew me back horribly. All carbs called my name. Only time ever I was ‘full and content’ was if I stayed literally under 10 total carbs per day and that was when I counted them. I would eat a few small crackers with cheese and if I ate like 1 extra cracker, my body instantly wanted more. I would eat some broccoli, which I hate anyway LOL and if I ate a tad more of it to ‘fill up’ myself I would crave more carbs instantly. I was never full ever on low carb. I struggled like a maniac with that. Years of it til the day I pony’d up and faced the full truth. Carbs had to go and that was all there was to that. Hard darn acceptace!

I am a minimalist type. Off grid type farmer type. Camper in nature type. Outdoor type. I can’t do complicated. I want a simple easy drama free flow in my life. I need easy and simple and truly being zero carb has given me that. A plan I don’t have to think about at all. I do one thing, I eat all the darn meat and seafood I want each day of my life and I am full, happy, getting health results and vibrant energy.

ZC suited me to a T. Now many do lc and it suits them. Many do all kinds of plans that work for them, even long term sometimes. I found me in all this and that is all any of us can do…find you in it all, it works with you every day and not against you. ZC works for me every day and never against me, heck I am in heaven on this plan actually LOL

Chat out why you love this plan and why it works so well for you personally—nothing wrong with that. Our personalities and physical body demand certain things from us, even in an eating plan we choose, but in the end, we must have one that suits us and one we can do long term. If you have to fight your plan every meal and have to fight your hunger at every turn there is no long term survival for change. One must find a long term solution and again, for me, zc was it. Took years to figure it out but once here, ain’t no going back :sunny: Why would I? It is too darn good right here for me :wink:

WELCOME!!! Sounds like you are finding your carnivore groove! Leg cramps can be problematic. Try increasing your salt intake, and even add in some No-salt …what is that stuff? Potassium Chloride or something? Anyways, Dr. Berry adds that into his electrolyte drink. Does the trick most of the time. If I don’t have time to toy with making electrolyte drinks, I just suck down the juice from a jar of dill pickles or olives, and call it good.

My head and stomach were pretty tender yesterday. Had to buy SF Tums to keep from hurling at work, and popped a few motrin to keep the headache at bay.(It tried to come back 3 times during a 9 hour shift.) Took my Progest to work, and doused it on once or twice. Drank some beef broth for lunch, but could not bring myself to eat anything. Just felt gross. By the time I finally got out of work, hunger was real and I actually felt like eating. This was around 8pm. So, I ran over to the store, grabbed a pack of chicken thighs and came home. Cooked and ate the WHOLE package…8 thighs. Butter and salt. Then went to bed. Slept find until a night sweat hit around 430am…then another…then another… then the dog farted. What a way to start the day?! LOL!

@Elizedge … that was a fascinating video with Kelly Hogan!!! So many different perspectives. After this last headache episode, I am not at all opposed to HRT. (I seriously wondered if I was having a stroke. NEVER experienced that kind of pain before.) It doesn’t sound as though all the other participants had fully experienced the wrath of the Hormonal Hag, so perhaps, they’ve never felt the desperation that some of us do? I’ve got the topical Progest, which I know has helped me with sleep patterns and energy levels. Mental clarity is returning as well. Hot flashes are still full on, and I am still dealing with bleeding since August 8. Estrogen dominance sucks.
I’m also doing deep breathing exercises to work out stress, and relax a bit. Not had a lot of time to exercise regularly- which typically reduces the stress and tension in my neck and back.
Anwyays, thank you so much for participating and sharing your experience!!! I feel more confident in my choice to use the Progest now.

@Fangs … Farm life is such a trip! I water glassed 41 eggs last night. Cut two Hubbard squash off their vines on the weekend…one was 28.2 pounds. What the hell am I going to do with 28 pounds of squash!!! And, that’s not even the biggest one! There’s like 6 more out there that I haven’t cut off yet!!! LOL! The squashes weigh more than the turkeys do! HA! I might raffle one off at work and donate the money to some worthy cause.
So, my eats were pretty paltry for most the day yesterday, but my late night chicken thigh extravaganza ended the fast. I feel much better today, but will proceed with caution when it comes to eating. Not sure what I feel like delving into this morning. I work 1-930 today, so, I will come up with a plan.

Hope all you lovelies have a wonderful carnivore-y day!!!

(Edith) #366

Dear @SecondBreakfast, I hope you get your hormones straightened out. That sounds absolutely horrible!

(Edith) #367

I had a great carnivore day. Three eggs cooked in bacon fat plus some leftover meat for breakfast, two hamburgers (1/2 pound total) cooked in suet for lunch, and chicken wings for dinner.

I thought about postponing breakfast, but with @Fangs article in mind, I decided not to try and stave off the hunger, I ate. I do think I’m having better energy.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #368

Last day of September today.:scream:. The year is speeding by.:see_no_evil:. I tried smoked pork…As my beautiful friend Shinita eats it. It was DELICIOUS!!!:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:. Better than normal bacon…and I had it with eggs and cheese… I am trying so hard to be zero carb… seriously…apart from a tiny handful of lettuce and a smidge of tomato sauce…low carb and low suger… apart from that I’m all Animal products. I am finding I’m having trouble on the tolet though.:scream:. As I’ve had too little fibre.:heart:. I’m trying. I’m SO tired and lazy tonight. It’s amazing I had energy to cook.:scream:. I am too tired to do much. Just sitting here like a dead log. I get envious of others on keto…carni. as some say in ketosis and fat adaption… they get energy. I never got it.:sob:. But I have a pituatry gland tumour that needs to be removed. And the doctors told me it causes extreme exhaustion… all sorts of things… I can’t wait until it’s removed. Then i might actually get energy?? Who knows.:scream:. I have to use all my strength and willpower to cook…shower…everything… I go in the bath because I’m too tired to stand in the shower… I also am getting my iron bloodtest results back soon. No matter how much meat I eat…i am low in iron.:heart:. I would love to try rabbit again…but I can’t find it anywhere. I am so boring with food. Eat the same stuff everyday. I don’t play with recipes. I could…should… But the tiredness. I am hoping that oxtober is better for me. Cos Slaptember I was slapped in the face by hospital carbs as most of you know.:heart:. Mmmmmn the smell of bacon. It’s hard because I do love mushrooms…abd wanted some with the bacon and eggs. But I’ve been complete zero carb before… It’s very satiating though and I tend to them undereat. I just eat when I can. I have no set times now. On OMAD it was 7pm every night. And i was full for 24 hours. I tried pastrami…NOPE!!!:nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:. Tasted like a peice of salty rubber to me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Now that is good eating SB! Glad your appetite is back and hoping you start to just feel better overall!!

Squash. Down south we got a game. Leave a giant basket of squash on someone’d doorstep and then you hear from someone that people are pushing squash on them, they have their own! and then ya hear about people all mysteriously getting squash left at their doors, omg, squash goes around and around down here HAHA

and so happy you didn’t. Us zc people can ‘get caught’ in a small way sometimes, we think, oh I am not really hungry at all, just a little, but I can easily wait and then boom, you find some situation where you can’t get to food like 4 hrs later and whammo, you put yourself in a true hunger mess. More ya eat when starting zero carb, the better one does!! As your body and healing happens your appetite will be very truthful and you will set into a very defined pattern, but that is individual time for all of us. You eat when hungry at all times, it is the best policy on this plan :slight_smile: Happy you are eating so well and doing so good!!

and next month will be better B! You are still recovering. Your not all in with your health yet and you need time for recovery so don’t push yourself even tho you want to do just that!! You take that time to heal more and you take that time to regain some energy. I am sure you will be ok if you take care of you my friend :slight_smile: :sunny:

-------LAST DAY OF SLAPTEMBER

My final thoughts for this month, and can’t wait to read everyone’s posts and updates as we head into OxtoberFest, zc style of course :slight_smile:
Got me another .4 down the scale. WEE! So for me it was 1.4 lbs off this month. Slow but fine. I am super cool with that cause in that month of losing 1.4 lbs I was never once a tad hungry, love my food, full of energy and more so hey, win win for me!

Processed stuff? I wanted to drop it but I eat so few things processed and I have been on plan longer in that I am SO narrow in my food choices, which I do love by the way, and I do need those few things, like my link sausage etc. So I am keeping those in my life, til zc and appetite tells me to drop them. Might, might not but my eating day is working so well for me, why put a monkey wrench in that equation :wink:

Spices again don’t set well with me.

food yesterday was

8 oz ribeye steak
can of tuna
10 link sausage
1/3 lb cheeseburger patty

That is a low day of eating for me truly. I was hungry but not hungry so I just ate what suited me. Didn’t push food but ate good food. I wasn’t ravenous for the above, but when I made it I ate it very easily but didn’t require more like some days so good eating day for me on that one.

Hope everyone reports in for the final day of the challenge and we can then go into OxtoberFest full of energy!!

(Kellyn ) #370

This is so true. I had a nice ribeye last night and after getting up at 6:30 this morning I was really hungry by 8:00 :drooling_face:. I went ahead and ate the hamburgers I made this morning and feel so much better. I will wait until I get hungry again to take my lunch since I don’t really have a set time to go to lunch.

I’m 75 days in on zero carb and down 15 pounds. I also dropped my cholesterol 35 points. My carpal tunnel disappeared, my reflux is gone, my energy has increased, and I am sleeping better than I have in 13 years. I am loving zero carb and can’t wait to see what the future holds for my health.

@Fangs! HA! We do that up here, too. (I’ve put them in people’s cars before.) For whatever reason, Zukes seem to grow like crazy - but not this year. The bad boys I’ve got are Blue Hubbards. Cut some more off yesterday, and topped the earlier weight. Of yesterday’s haul, had one that was 30.4 pounds. It’s as big as a turkey! So. I’ll have to work on what to do with those. Don’t know if our church is going to do its usual fall community dinner with all the virus worries. Originally planned to cook and take one there. So. time will tell.

Yesterday’s eats were pretty decent… Breakfast turned into brunch…made 2 hardboiled eggs mashed up with about 6oz tuna. “Egg salad”. Gobbled the whole thing before work. Lunch at work…bought some shredded chicken and hard boiled eggs at the store - 3 eggs I think? And about 6oz of chicken.
Worked until 930ish, got home about 10pm…not super hungry, but ate half of a omelette with smoked turkey and cheddar. Slept like a big ole baby!

Got today off. Other stuff…
Ran into my boss (she was off and I was on lunch), and asked her about applying for a leadership position that was advertised. Much to my surprise and utter happiness…it is for 32 hours a week - which is like a vacation for me…so, she told me how to apply internally. (I can still keep my 401K with 32 hours!) And, she seemed happy that I asked. So…Imma gonna work on that now. I’ve been training new people all week, so, its not like it would be much different than what I do now.

Got TONS of house work to do today. Hubby is out of town until tomorrow. So, gonna get crackin’ and use some of this wacky energy AFTER I EAT. For Slaptember…I’ve dropped and kept off 9 pounds total. Still working on 10.5 for OXtober, then another 39 to get down to my happy weight. I know its not all about pounds, but that is one of the measures that affects my knees the most- and I am keen to get them bad boys back in shape for downhill skiing…(Should I ever try that again!)

Have a wonderful Septembery day!!! Cheers!

(Kellyn ) #372

Wow! That’s awesome. Good luck! :crossed_fingers::four_leaf_clover:

Thank you!!! =)
It’s so wonderful reading about all the fantastic results you’re experiencing on ZC! So many aches and pains just disappear. No inflammation, less weight to carry around = happy joints and muscles!

Have a wonderful day, Kellyn- and keep up the awesome mojo!

(Kellyn ) #374

you too! See you in OXtober. :blush:

I am so excited for Oxtober Fest (and fast).

It may be time to try a beef, salt and water challenge?

Is that safe?

Slightly off topic here…but my 15 yo is out of school because of C19…so I fixed her breakfast…
Tuna, Turkey and cheddar omelette. She started carnivore w me over the weekend—sorta half-assish. Now she is full blown carnivore. At least, for now. Joys of having the kid home from school…I can fix her food and know she is eating good! YAY!

Amazing! I am over the moon you are getting such wonderful results and doing so well KP! You came into zc with a purpose and you work the plan as it should be and you get the results if offers if you put in the effort! Stellar!!

So happy you slept so well, nothing like a great nights sleep right? :slight_smile:
You did wonderful for Slaptember and you being such a busy person and with some issues for your health you were dealing with! You are one strong person and I applaud that, you held plan and made zc always work for you! Cool. AND SUPER CONGRATS on a better position job with good perks, when you apply wishing you the best on that! Less hours, ohhh yea who doesn’t love that in their job LOL

I was a downhill skier and cross country too when I lived up North. Couldn’t pull me off those skis but since moving South I took up kayak, hike, swim as my go to instead of the snow. Miss it, sure loved it…hey, you never know, some skiing could be in your future :slight_smile:

Safe as how? I mean that is the normal way one should come into zc and do that for like 90 days instead of the fast tracking most do only a month…but safe as in ?

Oxtober would be safer now cause it is still from the biggie holiday times like Dec 25 ya know :slight_smile: Closer we get to that the more tough it might be to be more strict…I say GO FOR IT NOW and start it tomorrow and see how ya roll, only you know how you will do so we would love to come along for that ride with you!!

------------GUYS I AM SO THRILLED just how well we all are doing. One great group of zc challengers as we rock thru the months and get results and change, change, change into whole new people. It is exciting!!!

OXtoberFest ZC Challenge

that is wonderful. fix that eating when younger and what a healthy life. I always wished I knew back then what I know now LOL I also love when I cook and control my kids food, it means alot. Makes a world of difference to them and their taste buds learn to eat better ya know vs craving fast food junk and more. They learn real food vs processed junk and boy there is processed junk out there everywhere, at ever turn :slight_smile: Such a cool post!!!

Has anyone ever watched the Steak and Butter Gal on Youtube?? OMGOSH…just happened to see her video for Egg pudding. Seriously. Eggs and Water. Could use bone broth instead of water. Looks like a carnivore creme brulee! LOL!

Going to try it now. Cannot wait!!! MMMMmmmmmm!

I tried so hard to stay away :smiley:
I am not supposed to be here until the evening [EDIT: but I didn’t send my novel until the evening, great] but I suspect how my meal will look like. Just beautiful!!! The weather is gloomy so I doubt I could make right of it but maybe I try to make a photo. But it won’t be good.

I am sorry for last time, I had a tiny woe crisis, I missed meat, felt miserable, faced the prices of veal (1 kg not too expensive cut costs more than what I have for 3-4 days in total)… And overdid thinking about food. I am sorry you saw that. I bounced back, now I feel way better emotionally and okay physically. And it just gets better as I realized sparing my tiny proper meat is a horrible idea, my lean pork chops aren’t so precious anyway and I got them out of the freezer. It was 8 nice slices, I thought maybe I can put some back… Yeah, sure. I fried them and it’s such a little meat for 2 persons… Well generous in my life but still. So we eat it up for sure, maybe there will be a tiny leftover especially considering how Alvaro tends to eat meat… [No, he ate it all up. Not like it was much.] But none for the freezer. They were the inside of the big baked slab, all white and lean… I fried them in lard and now they are beautiful. They must be good with soy sauce but we have Aussie mint sauce too. Sugary though. And neither are carni but I am more flexible than that. Though maybe not today [yes, of course I had to taste it again]. I feel a compulsion and a high possibility anyway to be so very perfect [I really should know myself better but it was a nice day]. I eliminated the Aussie sweets problem for a long while. And I never ever will underestimate my curiosity. Of course I had to taste almost everything! I had a great second birthday (mine is in July but things went slow) and I feel sorry for all the poor unfortunate souls who feel the compulsion to eat such things every day. I wouldn’t do it for money. Once is different but it was hard, I needed all the black coffee, water and fat I could consume to balance things out. I ended up feeling better than after 20ml cream (and that’s not bad) so I am relieved my body doesn’t lay down and start dying even in extreme circumstances. Not even a real uncomfortable feeling, I just feel I ate carbs. I always feel it and it’s not ideal but not actually bad. I only try to avoid it because I want to feel as ideally well as possible AND I am sure not ideal means I eat unwell and it’s not healthy for my poor body but it can handle it now and then. If it is a must. I so wouldn’t do it just because a birthday or Christmas, only when it’s very special and I have no power to refuse. So not a deliberate choice to enjoy myself because I can (okay, I had that before but my goal is losing that and I think I am close) but the acceptance of my limits (I expect changes there too. more and more things are losing their power on me. I couldn’t test cakes due to covid, I definitely want to be someone who can’t get tempted by the best homemade sugary or low-carb but too carby ones, not even once a year. Hungarian housewife villagers bake extremely well and not all use a ton of sugar either).

Sorry I actually didn’t want to make such a post. :frowning: I wanted to express my joy over my little pork and indeed, it’s wonderful. It’s just what my body needs now. After my fast. I have no idea if I get hungry today. Carby days always trigger very deep and long lasting satiation, no wonder, zillion carbs with very high fat do that to me.

Sounds good, the problem is that I lost my ability to do keto since I tried carni. I do carni - or I do low-carb, I definitely go over my ketosis carb limit (somewhere around 45g net carbs - and unlimited total, of course). And well, that is too much for me anyway, I mean, barely in ketosis. I don’t feel calm and content there. So I heroically fight and it’s a tad stressful.
And how would I do keto? I can’t add vegetables. I can’t really add nuts. My single big fav is peanut and I am happy I lost my addiction. Poppy seeds and walnuts have a chance… But that means eating sweets… So my keto would be mostly animal products and gluten…? I don’t want to eat gluten for some reason, I don’t know why, it’s cheap, I can make it tasty if I overdo spices… I have all those automatic restrictions. It’s hard for me to use sweeteners too (unless I make a dessert that actually needs to be sweet… but it’s a dilemma then, what I should use, sweetener or fruit. and I don’t want sweets so I rather don’t go there). Many off days feel very not okay. I would embrace them if I really wanted eating plants and sweets. But using them as forced necessity… It feels wrong. Even if they would keep me going totally off. Not like there is a problem with that occasionally.
It still seems EASY not to stray much. I don’t know why it doesn’t happen but I have no other chance, I keep trying. So I will have carni days, a few planned off (but usually still quite low-carb) days (though my mind is resistant, I never like to plan off days so I basically never do unless when I don’t see another way. but there is always another way) and failed (but hopefully still very low-carb) days.

I think about it too much again and make myself crazy. So I stop and hope for the best! (That would be the beef farm having pork or mutton… but I would be okay with beef just not the expensive veal. I heard it has a softer taste anyway… that’s not good, tenderness, on the other hand, is very good. beef is very chewy especially the cheaper parts and we can’t and don’t want to handle that).

I have pork now. Oh I still made a photo. Look at it!

Not my fav, I don’t plan to ever buy this lean part anymore but it’s very precious for me right now. And I fried it in lard, slices and smaller peaces too… I had such a slice yesterday, I put some smoked pork chuck with it and some extra fat tissue… It was nice after my eggs with bacon. And then chaos ensued, of course.
My hypothese was right: I can handle about anything (in less than OMG-it’s-insane amount) if I don’t eat the sugar alone but with lots of fatty protein (I always feel fatty meat is the absolute best or maybe lard. my body desires it after sugar, it’s very obvious it wants just that). Good to know, I will use the knowledge when I just must eat very sweet fruit. Surprisingly little fruit caused problems for me in the past but I will eat them anyway (at least for a while more but a life without fruits? I am not sure I want that. well, I still can grow and smell and pick and SEE the beauties… I love deadly mushrooms too, after all and I don’t even touch them just look at them and make photos) and I want to spare the incomfortable feelings.

I wonder if it works with lactose… I love some whipping cream but it’s just like grapes: a little amount feels off. It seems the fat included can’t balance it out. But I ate much more cream during some meals and that didn’t feel worse. Maybe I never should consume it alone as I do it when I have it in my coffee. I often feel this off feeling after a creamy coffee and I use very tiny amounts. It’s not the coffee and I don’t feel it when I drink it black. But I felt something similar when I drank a coffee with an egg. I wondered if it’s just because my mind forgot it has no cream in it and it’s a similar drink and dragged the usual feeling even if the trigger wasn’t there…? Or coffee combined with certain things is like that? I don’t remember my reaction to egg milk but I think it’s better. Hmmmm…

Whatever. Coffee with cream farther from my meals is something I wanted to get rid of anyway. No coffee and no cream would be the perfect thing but I am so not there yet… But I keep working on reducing the amounts.

[…]
I am after my meal now. I was hungrier I expected, well it happens when I don’t eat until almost 7pm but probably a few eggs and a little meat is never enough… I will make sure I will have something extra to add at all times. I made this and that and finally fatbombs. I almost never made fat bombs and never could afford them anyway, I could easily overate fat without them, thank you very much. But they may be a little useful in certain times. Especially when I didn’t prepare enough normal food and my usual ready to eat things run low… I get more eggs on Friday as usual (and as Alvaro points out, he can buy some okay eggs in the store too) and I visit the pig farm shop again, I used up all my lard today, I badly miss sausages and my smoked pork is barely enough until then. Hopefully they will have more stuff this time, other people missed them too and they went on a weekday and bought all ribs and lard.

The pork today was very nice :slight_smile:

The Aussie sweets (1500g total, so about 900g carbs, it will last for a while even for Alvaro who eats the chocolates with his own carby rice cake) keep providing amusement, I found a rare Kagu bird in a Yowie named Ditty (Alvaro ate it just like Nap yesterday who had a sloth inside). Even Amy didn’t know about this bird and she is Australian. But it’s an endangered species from New Caledonia. Pretty bird, with very proper wings but the muscles are too weak so it can’t fly.

Kellyn, I have not much problems with my desires. I almost never desire any carby things since ages. things are a tad complicated but the main problem is that I can’t always get/eat enough from my carni food. That would solve most of my dietary problems. But it’s not so bad, I should be able to have a very good woe with what I can have.
Yeah, it may be easy if one can eat beef every day… I can’t eat it every month. What was it, 5 months this far? No problem, I don’t like beef much anyway but it would be nice to have a bit again… Just to spice up things. I am not even sure beef patties are a thing in this country. Beef is expensive, no matter where and what I buy. Fortunately pork is way cheaper and it’s my fav. Chicken is tricky, it can be insanely cheap and kind of expensive and as far as I know, the taste is correlated with it but what’s worse, I refuse to buy normal cheap commercial chicken. I don’t sell my soul to the Satan, erm, support animal cruelty for an almost tasteless meat… Chicken liver is great, at least - and I couldn’t buy it from proper sources if I wanted. So I allow that for a while, not too often, until I can get good liver from good sources.
Thank you, Kellyn, for your nice words. I don’t know why I am this well tolerated, I am critical with myself just can’t resist and Fangs encouraged me… Sadly, keto is no real option for me. I don’t even know what my keto could be. I burned the bridges and when I manage to go for a visit, it’s nice for a meal or two then my carb-related problems start to return. I thought of some very low-carb keto but my very low-carb keto is carni, I can’t do it any other way. Theoretically, I could add erythritol and a little gluten (but it makes no sense. if it’s gluten, be it 200g, that’s cute for a meal)… That was always my plan B and somehow I never could bring myself to do it. Or very, very rarely.
I rather add fat bombs but those are carni.

I stop reading as I would write even more…
See you in the next evening when I will be kind of pleased with my day.

Nice. I doubt it can me excite much after my egg ice cream and egg sponge cake but who knows? :smiley: Eggs are so great, you just change a little something (omit whites, whip whites, use the oven instead of microwave, stop frying earlier, freeze) and it becomes a very different dish!

It’s steamed. So it comes out like a silky custard-like texture. You can use bone broth instead of water with it, and that is sort of the deluxe or gourmet version. I used chicken broth- for the salt. That was amazing.

Feeling very well nourished today.

(Ozeph) #383

I missed that challenge. Just got in the forum. Too bad, I would have liked to try.

Do you go 100% animal product only, as in no coffee or spices ? Like meat, animal fat, salt and water right ?

I like my bullet proof coffee in the morning.