“Slaptember!” Challenge

(Laurie) #384

I think there’s a monthly challenge. So you’re early for OXtober!

(Polly) #385

Looking forward to Oxtober. We are a few hours ahead of the US here.

(Ozeph) #386

Sounds good. What are the rules ? Can I still have my bullet proof coffee or it’s 100% animal product only (plus salt ans water)?

I thought it was a ketogenic forum. I’m happily surprised it’s carnivore as well !

Dear @Shinita, Please keep rolling along with us. I didn’t mean to be read as mean in a previous post. I love your perspective in the discussion. Don’t pay any attention to the big, bumbling Franko Bear, who might have come across as rude.

yes a smaller group of us are zero carb eaters and here we are in our tiny group just eating meat and thriving :slight_smile: Join in OxtoberFest challenge thread that will be started!

HEY FB, PASTE your OXtoberFest post over into the new thread.
good one to pull over and chat.

New challenge month starting for us carnivores! Join in any and all who want to eat zero carb and chat up!

(Edith) #391

My end of Slaptember summary:

The first week or two I dropped almost 5 pounds which is unheard of for my 54 year old body. Then my hormones turned on after shutting down for almost four months and three pounds popped up over night and have stayed around.

I went through a fairly uncomfortable oxalate dump that started after two weeks. Switching to magnesium citrate seemed to help the dumping. I am sleeping better and needing a little less sleep, but I don’t know if that’s the hormone shift or the extra magnesium, or the diet. All three? :woman_shrugging:

I have to admit, I still drank Diet Coke. I really think I’m addicted to it. I quit it, and then I fall off the wagon with similar reasonings as an alcoholic.:weary:

I’m going quit it again for Oxtoberfest. (As I type this I can already feel weak resolve.)

Im still having back issues. I didn’t expect them to go away over night, they may not even be diet related (I have a bulging disc), but I am going to give this another month to see if at least cuts down on inflammation.

I know some people need to go extreme with only beef and salt. I just don’t want to do that. It has to do with hang ups I have because of things my dad has done to himself over the years from keeping a restricted diet (that’s for another time and many pages of writing.) I don’t want to end up like him.

and you won’t be cause you are doing for you :slight_smile: You keep this always about what you need and require from your personal eating and don’t compare with others for what they need etc. you got this whipped!

SUPER CONGRATS on how you are changing. Dropping some lbs and putting on a few are ok. We all experience that. Key to zc for benefits is keep on eating this way and longer down the line more better benefits come as they body does heal internally, so you got a great attitude hitting OxtoberFest :slight_smile:

Diet Coke. Addicted. I know. I was a Diet Pepsi fiend! I sucked down so much of that stuff but for me, in the end, my heart PVCs were only ok when I dropped the diet soda. It was night and day. So yea I gave it up and now when I sip some if it is around me for any reason, which is very rare like if my kid gets a diet pepsi out and about, it takes so fake. So chemical. So unnatural. I can truly say now I am over the darn diet soda in my life for good…but boy did I hang onto my diet pepsi addiction for a long time. I am so glad you see it, and are working on it. All any of us can do!! How much are you drinking? Alot or not as much as before? just wondering on it.

(Edith) #393

It is less. About 20 ounces every day to every other day. I actually gave it up for over a year, but I started back up with the quarantine. It was fun to have that little “treat.” Treat time is over. Social distancing is my new normal, so there is no need for the little “treat” any more!

yea you are having 1 a day or every other day, I get that.
It is a COMFORT addiction now you have to break :slight_smile: I was just reading on a zc site someone posted Comfort Is Your Addiction and I know this would kinda fall under that.

but ya know, in the end, every person is gonna make a long term eating lifestyle fit them as they need, while it is highly recommended to drop the diet soda cause we all know that stuff is just oh so darn bad for us :slight_smile: I get you holding onto it a bit.

You will pick your path and work toward what you want. Drop it, hang onto it a bit more til you can dump it or ?? You will definitely figure this one out to suit you :slight_smile:

Oh, no, it wasn’t rude to me. I am actually amazed you don’t kick me out of this place. I am touched :slight_smile: I really try though, visible or not. And I have principles. It’s just complicated.

(Patty W) #396

It’s worked very well for me the past 30 days. :upside_down_face:

(Patty W) #397

Oh I’ve been eyeing those YouTube vids for steamed eggs as well…on the very first day I add eggs back to my Elimination Food re-trials I’m making it!

(Patty W) #398

September summary: I’ve been very happy with my results, they FAR exceeded my expectations & this has officially been the most success I’ve EVER had with weight loss/health improvement on any program I’ve ever tried over the past 3-4 decades, just doing beef/salt/water. It’s given me hope that I’d nearly given up on. Results: since Day 1 of ZC on 9/1, down 21.1# (60# total since keto restart 3/1/20). AM fasting blood sugar 88, fasting ketones 1.7. Sent blood sample for lipid profile through program at work; will compare it with my keto lipid results from June 2020. Pretty sure blood pressure is down as well, fewer palpitations. No swelling in hands/legs. Clearer skin; much less dental placque. Didn’t really have Chronic GI problems before, but ZC GI has normalized. Better sleep, more vivid dreams. Fewer trips to the restroom, despite drinking more water. Feeling stronger despite minimal exercise. Energy & mental fog better. Calmer, handle stress better. No joint pain, especially with recovering knee injury from earlier this year. Enjoying the looser fitting clothes, breathing easier. I think I’ll need to get my eyes checked soon, as when my blood sugar stays stable long enough, my vision improves & I have to get a weaker eyeglass prescription. Less work in the kitchen—>more free time. No, I haven’t seen rainbows & unicorns yet , & the usual life stressors are still present, but I do feel in a better position to meet them. I feel I have decreased my risk factors for serious Covid complications should I ever catch it. I still have the angel & devil sitting on my shoulders, & right now given the pandemic I don’t have the level of temptations I had before which is good. I know I tend to do better when I abstain from things rather than attempt moderation, which is why I think this month has gone so well, but my next challenge will be figuring out how to move forward with re-introducing foods whenever I’m ready, & being willing to feel the potential discomfort of that. And watching out for the potential slippery slopes… Many thanks to The Group for sharing their ZC experiences!

here you go: :rainbow: :unicorn:

fantastic report.

CONGRATS

you dropped 20 in a month on zc? if that is the case then WOW and you are doing wonderful.

Your report was so great to read. You are getting all the zc benefits most people strive for and they are coming at ya!

Don’t worry about introducing a few new meats, some eggs etc when you want to change a bit. If you do it slow and see how you do then you can variety up a tad if you want, but in the end, the funny thing is, most of us zc people always end up going back to beef as our mainstay. Even if we experiment thru with pork, chicken, lamb, or add in alot of seafood options, thru the time on plan we always venture back to beef…just thru trial and error of what we add back in we find beef is the most nourishing draw for our bodies. Not all, but most :slight_smile:

You keep rocking in PW!