“Slaptember!” Challenge

(Kellyn ) #223

I had a pound of beef patties yesterday around 9:30am. It keep me full most the day. We started our adult volleyball league last night and was going to eat when I got home at 5:40 but since we were leaving at 6:00 and playing at 6:40 I did not eat because I didn’t want all the running and playing to make me sick. I played 4 straight games which was a great workout. My team lost in two, but after the next team needed a female player and asked me to play. We won in two games. :blush: I had so much fun. I ended up not getting home until 8:30 because I had to stay to watch my daughter play on the youth team. I was so tired and not really hungry so I went to bed without eating. I’m still not hungry this morning, but I brought some beef patties for when I am. I did my first 24 hour fast without even intending to. Just had black coffee this morning. :coffee: Here’s to another great day being zero carb!

(Patty W) #224

I’m curious, if you don’t mind sharing, what sort of oxalate symptoms are you having?

(Patty W) #225

Today is a wonderful day! I hit a landmark weight that I haven’t seen for probably at least 10 years. I’m finally back in the 200s again…yay! Still lots farther to go, but I’m very grateful to the Carnivore approach. This has been simpler, easier, & more comfortable than doing keto or fasting (even though i appreciate those tools too, & how they got me this far). Doing just the beef, salt, water for 15 days has taken 16.4# off. I wonder how long it will be until I plateau, but I’m riding this train a while longer I think! Maybe it was the ribeye & melted tallow that did the trick last night :wink:

Have a great day all!

(Patty W) #226

@Shinita love the egg sandwich pictures, very pretty!

@SecondBreakfast you’re very resourceful! I’m enjoying hearing about your travel challenges & how you’re working them out…I had to chuckle about that conversation with your VPs.

Ps. Please forgive me folks, I’m not exactly sure how to do the cut & paste replies that you other computer savvy folks know how to. If you have any tips for me that would be great:)

(Edith) #227

If you select the text, a little grey box that says “Quote” pops up and then you just tap that little grey box. What you want to quote will appear in your reply message.

@Fangs - Those little bitty processed items are a go-to staple for me at the moment. But even when I’m at home and can cook the wholesome grass fed beef, fresh pasture-raised eggs, etc…I still like a little sausage, bacon or hot dog for a snacky-snack, nibble, or whatever you want to call it. Somehow, manufacturers are able to cram an incredible amount of sodium into such a tiny space- its like a little tasty salt-bomb for the palate.

My debit card still has not loaded. I was looking forward to some hot eggs, or hardboiled eggs at the very least- as the hotel touts having “a full hot breakfast, but you must dine in your room”. Total BS. I go down there this morning, and at the very least, expected hard boiled eggs. Guess what they have??
Pancakes and syrup. No sausage
Bagels, Donuts, muffins, pastries
Cereal, franken-yogurt
Fruit. NOTHING Keto.
I had them fill my coffee, took it back to my room, and doused in some HWC I got on my grocery run last night.

What kind of hotel chain that serves these breakfasts has no hard boiled eggs??? I questioned the breakfast attendant, and she said they couldn’t get hard boiled eggs. I call bullshit on that- bc every other chain has them. Its been a standard hotel breakfast refrigerated item for years. Anyways, having a hot dog, a bit of cheese, and some coffee for my breakfast. Not a happy camper, but, it could be worse. Have a good day, all!

Well I was in some hospitals in my life and eggs were basic. Egg, cheese, deli meat… and the carby stuff too, of course. My memory isn’t so good, I remember the last place I was, mostly… But I would remember if a place had only carbs. Insane. It’s normal, common thing to eat eggs and sausages and cheese for breakfast!

If I am already here… I try not to vent too much, I am spent, I have no time for that.
And it’s not even remotely carni, more like the opposite and Amy is in the middle again :smiley: She sent me some Aussie sweets but toys and books and Vegemite too. And out tax office catched it. After she spent a fortune on shipping it (and another bigger one to buy the stuff inside), I need to pay a lot too. A LOT. Not 10% or 20 of its value AND shipping costs and optionally other things… More. And well, even 10% would be pretty much considering how damn expensive is to send some very expensive things to the other side of the planet. Does your country do that? Hungary totally does. Not every time, that’s why we were surprised. But it pretty much destroyed my mood and it was bad to begin with. I could buy good food with that money and Amy already paid more than enough. But it’s not how things work here.
BUT at least I won’t need willpower not to taste the sweets this week as I won’t get them (I am super determined and sweet things are about the last items I want now anyway so I don’t think it would pose any problem. I would enjoy the non-edible things. And put a little Vegemite on my egg).
Alvaro appreciates we got notified at all. Once the post office forgot to tell him the order arrived. And then they just sent the stuff back to America. So it was ordered again, tax office this time… And the motorbike part got twice as expensive and it took months to get… And some people lost way more money due to people not doing their damn job. Infuriating things, these are.

It’s very good I am not a comfort eater. I had some small lunch without appetite after this news but now I doubt I will eat more. It will be a low-calorie day. Unless I attack the fridge at midnight but I have some nice stuff there. A whole slice of pork, egg sandwiches… I ate pizza for lunch, just like Alvaro. It was interesting, not pizza-like but definitely some kind of dry dough-like so I messed with carni a bit as I had no sour cream, just tomato sauce I so skillfully didn’t put on my pizza, I used a carni pizza recipe. So I ate some tomato today, oh well, I can live with this. My future woe will be like this anyway, I am merely try to be strict today because I was too relaxed last week and I lost balance. I am stricter until I feel I can do a good carnivore-ish with just a tiny bit of plant that is worth it. I did that before, it was good. But I take one more step or some accident happens and I start to fall…

Processed stuff… I already said I sooooooo won’t even try to give up them :smiley: I really need them.
In worst times (but I do my best to avoid those as it just can’t seem to work for long) they are my meat. And fish but I find not doing carni more tempting than eating a bite more fish sometimes…
In good times, they are variety! So useful and tasty and wonderful. Oh and my best option for eating more fat if I need that for some reason.
I prefer dry sausage and smoked pork ribs (and sometimes hocks) from the pig farm. Those are very good, very flavorful. I don’t use them extensively and they aren’t good for “meat”, they are just some extra bites, flavorings, finishing bites if I am not pleased with my original last bite… Just tiny but important extras. Spice for my plainer eggs. It can’t be bad for me from good sources and tiny amounts!

Not all processed meats are very salty. The pig farm use lots of salt, sometimes more than another time… It was a problem when I had a smoked pork phase and little or no normal meat and ate too much. As I shouldn’t go much over my 5g salt a day, it feels bad and I get sodium aversion.

(Elizabeth ) #230

yes and totally convicted by what others are doing- I’m struggling to squat and they are lifting 400 pounds lol

Many hotels here are invoking the Covid-excuse for not serving breakfasts, or full breakfasts. With a family member who is a hospitality director for a multi-franchise owner, I know for certain that eggs, sausages, meats…all are completely available at nearby hotels.

I called the front desk just to see if there was any coffee still available. No answer. I put on my lovely facemask, and set about to tracking down a housekeeper to get a couple coffee pods. That was successful. I’ll be ready for work, at least.

Lemme just say, the google review they get from me will be colorful.

(Edith) #232

When I dumped last December, it was terrible: aching body, especially my back; cloudy urine, sandy colored diarrhea, crusty eyes, acidic tears that would leave my skin irritated around my eyes, aching teeth, and these weird little deposits on the bottom of my feet that look a little like plantars warts but they aren’t. I actually had a little crystal come out of one. I was really, really uncomfortable. It lasted about a month.

This time so far is not as bad. This time I have the cloudy urine, headaches, a little bit of backache, some heart palpitations, and restless legs. I believe the dumping is using up my magnesium, so I’ve had to increase my Mg intake. The extra Mg will take care of the palpitations and restless legs.

Hi guys! I was thinking about you now and then. Especially when I defrosted a lot of meat and Alvaro and me cooked it all (I put the ribs into the oven, it’s the perfect thing, a minute work, it needed nothing just a little salt as it has its own fat, even too much :smiley: Alvaro made the stew on open fire).
I was careful but well, I managed to eat pork stew with pork ribs on top and I already ate eggs and smoked pork for lunch (I visited the pig farm shop after more than 2 months! I couldn’t get all what I wanted and the sausage has an odd flavor, I never liked sausages with too much herbs and it seems it has them. or something else that reminds me of herbs so I didn’t even eat particularly much). I chose that way to try to eat more fat in the hope lowering my protein to adequate levels (just an experiment, not very thoughful as the fat was not the satiating type but I could just do it this way)… The result? Tracking record protein, 180g (I only recorded a few 160g days this far… and I sooo could have eaten more stew…) and over 200g fat. Oh well, it was a nice day :slight_smile: And I had activity, finally autumn arrived and I can move properly! :smiley: My next meal happened very late after an excursion and while I was hungry, just slightly so and I could have skip the meal. But it felt way better to eat.

It seems lean pork doesn’t make as good stew as rabbit, somehow rabbit stew is great despite it’s very lean but somehow the texture is different…? Softer, nicer? Except the breast, I hate rabbit breast as I hate chicken breast, they are among the worst meats for me (but it’s edible, even enjoyable a bit if prepared well. but I eat way better things that that).
Maybe I won’t buy pork chops again unless if it’s this tempting: a big piece with tiny garbage on sale. It was a bit painful to throw out the huge plastic box of the little ribs and not even selectively (not like I know what happens with the stuff I selectively throw out and it’s still better to avoid garbage but I have limits. the farm is good, a few plastic bags for a really big amount of meat. but the farm is still silent).

I didn’t even make photos of my precious ribs (well my childhood ones tasted better but it was still nice just very little), it disappeared very quickly.

For the entire week while on my trip…meat. Roast beef, beef hot dogs, sausages, half a roasted chicken, a massive chunk of salmon, and my husband brought me a dozen hardboiled eggs during the week. He had a business trip also, and was passing near where I was staying, so he dropped them off for me.
Lost 8 pounds. =) Life is good.

(Edith) #235

I missed you all this week! I’m glad we’re back online!

Congratulations @SecondBreakfast. Eight pounds it amazing!

I stuck with meat, but was having a lot of oxalate dumping the past week and it was especially uncomfortable in my back. Things are starting to subside, so I hope to keep on with carnivore. The dumping has hidden any benefits I might have possibly felt at this point. I plan on continuing with the hopes that if the dumping stays away long enough I may see some benefits. Or not. :woman_shrugging:

Thank you, @VirginiaEdie !! Thinking I had a bit more oxalate dump, too. My lower back and legs were killing me. After I finished work on Friday, I drove another hour, hit a GFS store and picked up cheese and meat, then dropped gifts off for the grandkids, and drove home. Got home at 12:30am, slept until 8 or so, then Saturday, packed and took off with hubby for a weekend of hiking and relaxation. We did a lot of uphill and upstairs hiking trails - put in quite a few miles. Probably why I am sore now.
Going to work a short shift tomorrow, then cook my MIL a birthday dinner.

Oh no! Edith are you mitigating with coffee, chocolate or berries?

I went to the doctor for a general check up after not recovering well from an atrial fibrillation episode during August Palooza carnivore challenge.

Those heart palpitations and arrhythmia are my main oxalate dumping signs along with, crusty ear wax, crusty eye glue, increased (sudden) dental calculus, sore teeth (sometimes), joint pain in feet and hands, accumulations of pale plaques in my skin that eventually peel off as dry crusts, cloudy urine and tiredness.

I have not chemically identified any oxalate in any of these observations. I think the urine test for crystals may be the easiest. My dentist says the calculus is a calcium based mineral matrix but he doesn’t know if oxalate is involved. My teeth and gums are strong and healthy despite the build up.

While at the doc I got some tests done. Some I’ll share as I have been attempting to do carnivore most of this year with these challenges. The results were told to me by a nurse over the phone, so she did not have all the details.

I am grizzly bear sized and have gained about 15kg in body weight this year. That’s about 10% body weight gain. But my waist measurement has only increased by 5 cm overall from when I was 15kg lighter. Most of that was rapid regain in the most stressful pandemic months (increased work, lack of sleep yadda yadda) and the waist measurement has been reducing since the middle of the year. The scale weight gain tracked with that. A sudden weight gain early in the year. That has increased by 300g to last week over the past 6 months as the waist measurement went down. At various times weight going one way waist doing the opposite, I feel like an accordion.

Lots of normal tests for cell counts etc. Some male hormones out of whack.

Total cholesterol has dropped from 6 point something to 5.7. The nurse was upbeat about that. In the lipid tests I have maintained low triglycerides, my HDL went up slightly, the main change in total cholesterol is quite a drop in LDL. I haven’t calculated the ratios yet, but the lipid profile has improved, but not why the doctor thinks it has. The nurse giving me the information over the phone was very encouraging that I had lowered my cholesterol. The main thing I did this time was not have coffee within 18 hours of the blood draw.

Bad news on fasting insulin it doubled from a steady 9 over a few tests months apart to 18. That’s not good and demonstrates increased insulin resistance. Combined with a fasting blood glucose on the blood test day of 6.3mmol/l, I have to go back for a diabetes consult with a diagnosis of pre-diabetes. The nurse did not tell me my HbA1c, I wonder if it was on the request form? This result is interesting in light of increased meat eating.

From bad news to bizarre. I have low circulating blood iron levels! My diet is mainly beef and mostly carnivore. My iron storage is normal. It partly explains the tiredness. Other electrolytes in normal ranges. I specifically requested a rbcMg test but the phone call nurse couldn’t find that result.

I have no gut issues. I wonder, in the context of oxalate dumping, if the oxalate is binding the iron molecules in my blood stream? If that can happen?

Underpinning all this is the mainstream medical fraternity don’t seem to acknowledge that oxalate dumping exists. Oxalic acid poisoning does.

I’m still cooking everything in suet. It tastes great fried with some added salt. Yesterday was bacon and 3 eggs and two organ meat sausages. But had 3 cups of coffee, rather than the usual one cup because I was working for my paid job on a Sunday. That’s got to stop.

I did get to do some enjoyable things like repot a loquat tree cutting, pollinate my avocado tree flowers and clean out the composting toilet collection tray.

In the real world of grumblebums I’m in that uncomfortable place where people around me are feeling justified in saying that my high fat and meat diet is killing me.

I’ll see the doc again next week and get a print out of all the test results for a proper look.

(Edith) #238

Have you joined the Trying Low Oxalate group on Facebook? It is a great source of science based information with 35000 (or there abouts) members. You may be able to find the answers to some of your questions. There is even a carnivore subgroup.

I have tried to mitigate some of the dumping symptoms by drinking black tea. That could be why I’ve been feeling a little better the past few days. I try to look at the dumping as a positive, so I don’t want to ingest enough oxalate to completely stop the dumping.

I’m sorry to hear about the blood sugar going up. I hope you figure out what’s going on.

Slaptember is rolling along and darn if it isn’t on the tail end and then we lose the forum for a while :slight_smile: but it is back and away we go again!!!

So far so great for me on zc.

Just doing my thing and eating very well. I noticed I function way better on bigger meat intake days. Not one thought on that. I eat bigger, I function better. I don’t eat as much on a ‘just low not hungry type’ days and I feel ‘less inside’ somehow, nothing dramatic at all…just that I can feel it ya know…but when I eat higher meat/seafood intake days, eat with abandon as much as I truly want and just eat as I love to eat and enjoy all my food I ‘just feel stronger’ inside. Just an observance. I don’t think this is earth shattering thing for me LOL

I got me 2 NY strip steaks to eat in my 2 meals. Pair up with shrimp and chicken on those steaks and should be about it for me but if wanted, I got some nice sausage to prey on HAHA

life is now finding new beef deals. and hopefully seafood deals. supplies in the freezer getting used up a bit and I get antsy if it goes too low ya know :slight_smile: I feel so much better being surrounded by my meat and it makes me feel good to always know it is there.

Keep soldiering on with zc. We all need our time on plan to change alot of internal issues for us and longer we hold tight and heal, we do change more and more with always good things coming our way!!

(Edith) #240

Love that! :joy:

oh yea it means survival down to the very essence of my being.
it means life. Meat/seafood/fish means life…without it as we all know not one carb is required for body survival or to thrive…my basic down home instinct is now to HAVE MEAT and alot of it at all times. For all situations and if I was a hunter only depending on that food source for health, I would be iffy at best HAAHA but knowing I have it and can access what is required is a blessing not many can go along with me in describing.

SO I HIT the store and I got me a 2 lb crab leg at high price but I said, I am me, darn I am worth it LOL and I got burger on sale and hit a ‘marked down’ big azz chuck roast. I am happy right now for sure :wink:

I have different times. Not so very long ago meat satiated me so damn much that I underate. Now it’s more like very long satiation and even if I get hungry, it’s very very subtle for a long time.
Or maybe it’s the calories but clearly not only those…
I need experiments but I always feel that meat is somehow more substantial than my other food. I still don’t need very much of it (that wouldn’t do, I want my eggs and little dairy too) but some decent amount helps. I can’t explain it well, maybe after I really know what I am talking about.

I go back towards OMAD now (probably will be OMAD/TMAD, whatever feels best). Fortunately my quick satiation went away so I don’t need to suffer from tiny meals, that was very annoying. I eat much at once as normal to me but I am very very nicely satiated for a loooooong time. I feel good and well. Maybe it’s the weather change too, hotness is OVER!!! Yay! So I am bubbly and feel much better. But the significant amount of pork plays an important role too. I definitely feel it. Much better than fish. Fish is just variety but never feels like this.

I really drop my unneeded lunch now. And we will see. It’s nice to be properly, not too subtly, not to strongly hungry when eating.