September 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Susan) #121

@MooBoom

Is there any way to discuss what you are actually doing with the parents? Maybe you can consume very little calories like a salad, no dressing that would have hardly any carbs and calories if you have to eat with them?

@daddyoh

Awesome, Eric, best wishes to get to the 72 hours =). You are a pro-faster so I am sure you will make it.

@Digital_Dave

I hope that real life will be less hectic soon for you and that you and Virginia are doing better health wise. I totally understand how fasting is more difficult when you have stress/not feeling well. Take care =).

@ctvigggen

I can totally see how donating blood would make you ravenous afterwards. My eldest daughter gives blood, she has a really good type for donating, so they even call her if she hasn’t gone in for a bit. I don’t but this is because I have horrid veins (even when I have to have blood work they can never get it out of my arms, have to take it from the top of my hands and I always bruise terribly). I think it is an awesome thing to do to help out though =).

@cervyn

Congrats on the 61 hour mark, well done =).

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #122

I’m on target to get to about 70 hrs. Will break then so that I can have a proper dinner with my beautiful wife without any lower distress (I hope). Thanks for your kind words @Momof5

This has been my easiest 3 day except I miss eating. Not hungry, just miss eating. Seems weird. I think I’m a food junkie.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #123

Okay 71.5 hrs. Woot. Glad I got 3 days in.

(Susan) #124

Congratulations, Eric, you did great =).

(MooBoom) #125

thanks @Momof5, I will adopt the one small meal on fast days approach for the duration of the cruise I think. It’s easy enough to say I’m not hungry and then join them for dinner at the end of the day :slight_smile:

(Susan) #126

OKay great, I hope that it goes really well and that you have a lovely time on the cruise with them all =).

(Jane) #127

I have O neg blood. Not the rarest type but is the “universal donor” in that anyone can take my blood. A gunshot victim shows up in ER and no time to type their blood? Grab some O neg.

We are also the ONLY blood type that can only take O neg blood. The next most restrictive is A neg (both my sons) who can only take A neg or O neg. I can donate for them but not vice versa.

(Susan) #128

I think that might be the kind that my daughter has as well. I know she always tells me that her blood is great for them for donations.

I don’t even know what type I am or hubby is, or any of my kids are…

(Jason ) #129

Congats, @daddyoh!

I made my 42 hrs, and then had a very keto 1600 calories last night, no carbs at all, aside from the few that were in my vegetables. This morning I woke up late as I didn’t set the alarm (duh) which raised the cortisol right away. My blood ketones were down to 0.2 and glucose was up to 103! Stress hormones strike again. i’ll check this afternoon and I bet I am right back in ketosis, once my cortisol has dissipated for a while.

I am contemplating doing another 42-48 hour fast from last night to Saturday night. I guess we will see how I feel tonight, but so far so good.

Good luck to all fasters!

Just around 37.5 hrs., but I was only planning to go until tonight anyway for a short 2 day. Already have some Steaks in the Sous Vide since last night, after doing some grocery shopping.

I think this is probably most of us as well. It’s usually why I break most Fast myself. It’s also what I’ve been doing lately too. Just enjoying some meals. But I do miss Fasting too, so I guess it’s both ways.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #131

I’m already planning my next two fasts. next 48 hrs so I can have dinner with my two ladies at home (one is away at school). The 2nd week will try for 3 days. Then I wind into a comprehensive set of blood work for cardiologist. So I will not fast in advance of that blood draw and will cut back on coffee a little. Will time my meals to get 14 hour fast for the blood draw.

I can’t wait to see my markers for inflammation, LPa and comprehensive lipid particle size analysis to name only a few of the tests.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #132

Jason

Yes, the stress of life gets in the way doesn’t. It does for me. Sometimes during the day. I operate a large number of web sites and other processes and some time :poop: just happens and that used to send me off. I’m better, not perfect, but better at handling those now.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #133

I did my best resistance training ever this morning and decided to feed. I’m still hungry after my 3 days fast and feeding. Last time this happened I snacked on a lot of pork rinds and still lost weight. Going to grab a bit of something more, but be reasonable, on the way out this morning and then ignore the hunger.

Wasn’t hungry, but decided to break my Fast a few hours before heading home for the day. (at 44 hrs.) Oddly enough, though I wasn’t hungry, but just thought it would be nice to have something with some flavor (probably from only drinking nothing but water) but simply thought of Yellow Mustard? :confused: Don’t recall this happening before, so I just pulled out some stuff I could use it with for a quick meal.

(Bob M) #135

I have AB positive. Not the rarest (AB negative). There is some evidence that people who give blood have less heart disease. However, you can’t discount the healthy user effect (healthier users give blood or have some other “healthy” aspect leading to them giving blood). Nonetheless, there have been studies that compared low and high blood donors in terms of the number of times per year, and the high blood donors came out better. This is the whole “iron is bad” idea, which does seem to have some support in the literature.

I have been giving blood since I was in my 20s, over 30 years now. Maybe that’s what lead to my zero CAC score? And, to be honest, I’m not exactly sure WHY I give blood. Maybe because I feel as if I’m helping society? I’ve been doing it so long now, the reasons are lost to the mists of time. I do know that when I developed cardiomyopathy and they wouldn’t let me donate blood (they were unsure what would happen to the drugs I have to take), I was bummed. I lost a few years of donations because of that.

@daddyoh, I don’t consider LPa to be a marker of inflammation. Mine is very high, as in over 3 times the “holy crap you’re about to DIE” level, yet my HS-CRP is low, and I have a zero CAC score. I would have at least a week or longer of eating normally before your blood tests, unless you’re going to try The Feldman Protocol.

(Bob M) #136

Here are some values for you. Yellow indicates taken after 4.5 days fasting. Clear is “normal” time period.

By the way, I got the scan with the zero CAC score on 6/13/19, the day before I got 367 nmol/L for Lp(a).

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #137

Your LP(a) is crazy but a zero CAC score. Humm. Pondering.

I’m going to eat 3MAD or IF TMAD for 8 to 9 days proceeding the blood draw. Other than reducing coffee I’m going to eat what I eat normally. It is fatty protein centers and usually ~10g carbs a day.

(KCKO, KCFO) #138

daddyoh, remember just water for 12-14 hrs. before the draw.

Hope you get a good result.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #139

Thanks - that is the plan.

(Carol) #140

Hi everyone. Sorry I’ve been MIA for awhile, running short of forum time these days. Just finished a nice 77 hour water/tea fast this morning. Today I am eating small because I could have gone another day at least so this is my compromise. Tomorrow I will feast on a variety of chaffles. I haven’t tried them yet but they seem to be a new rage. Must know what all the fuss is about.

I have been keto for just over a year now and have picked up so many tips and ideas from everyone - thank you all. I wish I had something to give back but the only thing that comes to mind is do what feels right for your body. I have read over and over again about how once you are fat adapted you should cut back on fat. That didn’t work for me so, I upped it. That worked for me. Keto and fasting seems to be an individual experiment and there are so many success stories all done differently.

Happy fasting all!