September 2019 - IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #101

I saw her tweet. I’m going to continue to fast because I want autophagy and want longer periods with low insulin. Weight loss is important but in balance so are the other two factors.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #102

I will probably end my fast around 44h tonight.

My values at 37h:
BK: 3.1
BG: 80
GKI: 1.3 LOWEST EVER :star_struck::star_struck:

I will probably try to reduce my amount of extended fast to 2 a month, and do more alternative day fasting to correct my hormones.
I just am a bit annoyed by that because it is sooo much more unhandy on my curently super extreme busy lifestyle…

(Mame) #103

Interesting…I can no longer access these articles I guess there is a downside to completing my masters degree. :wink:

Meal-less Monday was a success, I lifted to complete fatigue this morning 630 am. GKI not too impressive at 3.8. Knowing my numbers does make me want to keep fasting longer…

I am at about 35hours fasted and planning on going until sometime today… I will be on a plane and in airports a good chunk of time today. I wonder if I will get my typical 'through security and suddenly I want to eat’ feeling.

Looking at my schedule I think I can get a fast in on Friday as well.

Have a terrific Tuesday all.

(Susan) #104

Thank you; Jason, I hope that both you and your son are feeling well again soon =).

I am currently at 42 hours and plan to break at 5pm for a 48 hour, which was my goal =).

(Jane) #105

Good job!

(Susan) #106

Thanks Janie. I did a long walk this morning (because my youngest needed to go to the walk-in clinic) she has a chest infection and strep throat so is on antibiotics now. We walked there with the stroller and back so 20 min each way so a good power walk of 20 times 2, me pushing the stroller (which actually helped me walk…) as I am new to walking again. I have been walking up and down our street, though, getting the mail daily. I felt hungry, so when we got home, I just ate 2 teaspoons of salt and a glass of water, and am good to go now =).

(Jane) #107

Hope your daughter is better soon! Good job on walking there and back and using the salt trick to stave off the hunger pangs. Only a few more hours to go :slightly_smiling_face:

(Susan) #108

Thank you, Janie. I am glad she is on an antibiotic now and so will improve. Yes, I am going to aim for one 48 hour one once a week for now and I want to do 72 hours for the Zorn Fast.

(Bob M) #109

Good points, Eric. I also think fasting is better than that or things like protein-sparing modified fasts: why do that when you can just fast?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #110

Bob,

Exactly!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #111

~49 hours fasted. Day 2 was good and not too difficult. Getting ready to play cards with my ladies and I will then bank some sleep into this fast calculation.

My belly has turned to jello. I think the next couple of fasts will see some weight loss.

Happy fasting all.

(Susan) #112

Congrats Eric! I did a bit over 48 hours myself and re-fed but got full very quickly.

Happy fasting to all the people still fasting =).

(KCKO, KCFO) #113

Brenda has posted the Sept. Zornfast thread. The more the merrier.

(MooBoom) #114

I started ADF end of August, not modified ADF- proper ADF. Nil by mouth except water or black coffee.

My goals are weight loss, reduction in inflammation and autophagy. Fasts are anywhere from 36-42 hours, every second day. So far the biggest challenge is not the fasting days themselves, but trying to get a good caloric intake on my feeding days. My appetite just tanks out, if I only eat when I’m hungry I’m lucky to get 900 cals in and the scales stall out or bounce up and down.

I definitely notice better results when I make myself eat to a reasonable caloric level in a day (targeting 1600 - 2000 cals).

Unexpected benefits:

• Cost savings on food
  • Time savings on cooking/shopping/cleaning
  • I really enjoy good healthy food when I DO eat. Like, good healthy food tastes unbelievably good.
  • I used to be able to eat excessively large amounts, my stomach capacity has shrunk so now I am satisfied with smaller meals (double edged sword- kind of annoying when I’m trying to eat enough cals)
  • Mental clarity on fasting days is razor sharp

Niggles

• Insomnia on fasting days
  • Significantly reduced appetite
  • Feeling cold on fasting days

I am facing a challenge in the next week. I am going on a cruise as a paid carer for a special needs child. I’m bunking with his family, who are all stick thin, and he has an 8 yr old sister who is a tad obsessed with what I eat, my ‘big butt’ (lawdy…), and how ‘fat’ I am. For the record I’m 30lbs/14kgs heavier than I’d like to be, and my BMI is 27. So this kid has…issues.

I’ll be taking all my meals with the family- any tips for how I can possibly get away with NOT EATING every second day under such scrutiny? I’m worried about modelling unhealthy eating patterns (for her). But I also don’t want to abandon whats good and working for me. Feels like a no win situation- need the hive mind.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #115

Well…
Would it be that bad to not fast during this time?
I don’t want to encourage lying, but you could say that you aren’t hungry/ate earlier (snack), that your doctor has put you on an eating plan…

As far as the calories… heavy cream w/ MCT Powder…it certainly helps bump up the caloric load :smiley:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #116

59 hours fasted. really good sleep again but short. Drinking a little :coffee: to wake up and enter the day.

I think I can take this to about 72 hr. I don’t have any desire to break this fast at work.

Laid down in bed last night and my stomach gurgled for maybe 5 mins. I was afraid it was going to keep my wife up.

I haven’t been doing much Fasting lately myself. No reason or issues really, just been busy and kind-of just going about things as of late. But I am missing it, so started one just last night after dinner. 13.5 hrs.

Happy Fasting Folks…

(Bob M) #118

That’s good Eric.

Does anyone give blood? If so, how does this affect your fasting? I fasted 36 hours from Sunday night to Tuesday at about 10am (with lifting/HIIT Tuesday morning), then gave blood Tuesday night. My goal today was to fast until dinner, but I don’t think I can make it. We’ll see. And, I was not hungry until dinner last night, but I got quite hungry after giving blood, and ate a ton, until my stomach was near bursting. For me, giving blood always seems to take more out of me than I expect.

(Bob M) #119

Well, I’m 100% not going to make my 22 hour fast today. Perhaps lifting/HIIT after 32 hours fasting, then giving blood later in the day (though eating) is too much for me? I’ll be back on Friday for a 22 hour fast.

(Mame) #120

LOL I totally get this!

I had a 6+ delayed flight yesterday. The silver lining is that I couldn’t eat so my fast got extended a lot. I am currently at 59+ hours fasted, gki=2.4, which is rather high for me at this point in a fast, but probably due to stress from the trip.

I am meeting a colleague for lunch so will break fast then at 61 hours or so… I am so sleepy I don’t even want to eat…

Congrats to all on their fasts this week.