Sept. 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

conversationstarters
fasting

(MelissaH) #261

Will autophogy still occur with BPC, or some fat during your fast? Maybe I’ll work up eliminating it once I’ve fasted a few times

(Running from stupidity) #262

Or, you know, maybe mid morning :slight_smile:

85 hours in. Didn’t feel super this morning, but attributed that to WAY too much gaming yesterday. Walked 8km to markets and back, feeling progressively worse as I did so - lightheaded and getting more so, legs really weak, really sharp pain in my left shoulder (carrying backpack with 2.5KG pack of bacon and 1kg salami, along with the usual camera, waterbottle, hats, etc.).

So I think I’ll eat a little of that bacon now, and then some bacon and eggs for lunch, and the rump steak that’s been in the sousvide for 36 hours for dinner.

Bottom line - as everyone says, the first 48 hours is the hardest. However, I’m taking the way I’m feeling as a signal from my body to stop. It’s been a good EF, but all good things must come to an end.

(Adriana) #263

I’m breaking my fast at 28 hours, I feel fine and probably could go longer, but I’ll try another day :blush:

(Adriana) #264

85 hours! I hope to get there some day :+1:t3:

(Running from stupidity) #265

It’s just a thing, IMHO. It’s where I got to. I wanted to get over 100 hours (reason - I’m an idiot) but here I am, being sensible :slight_smile:

48 hrs. in presently, and all is well. I’m hoping to run through the rest of the week with this one.

Warning: attack of the emojis

70 hours in now, feeling incredible, it’s been a great day.

Got a lot done at work :office:, tons of mental acuity :brain: and in a good mood :cowboy_hat_face:.

Planning to extend from my previous stopping point of 96 hours (Thursday evening) and now keep going until Friday morning as long as I feel okay, then end the fast with :bacon: bacon for breakfast and enjoy :cut_of_meat: feasting at lunch and dinner as a nice closer to the week.

I’m at the :tooth: dentist tomorrow and was told before my procedure to ensure I don’t eat anything beforehand. I wonder if the dentist meant this? :smiley:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #268

As long as you listen to your body I do not see a problem. I started full boar last year and fasted Mo-Fr most of the times because it fit my schedule, and didn’t have too much stress at the time…

Should you tend to eating disorders (binging, undereating, or other) and feel triggered I rather you wouldn’t.

I had to address many psychological issues to get to the point where I am now, free from food tracking, able to listen to my body and all.
So yeah, there is no cookie cutter solution, I’m Afraid.

It also depends what you want to achive. I now fast every week for 3-5 days usually, but that was a gradual process…

(Carpe salata!) #269

I’m at 96hr water fast. Going to call it at 120h tomorrow. Been feeling pretty normal really. Just felt a bit dudded at not being ‘allowed’ to eat. Just like I missed the food like an old friend. Not really hungry at all.
Going to have some nuts an hour before dinner … steak, creamed spinach and beans.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #270

Broke my fast at 77h yesterday, had dinner, had breakfast and trying to fit in another 48 h. :slight_smile:

(Allie) #271

Unlikely, from what I’ve heard. Autophagy needs water only fasts.

Just passed 59 hrs. this morning and feeling quite well. Though I did have some leg cramping in both legs that got me up and out of bed 3 or 4 times from between around 1AM - 5AM this morning. Can’t complain too much, since this is the first time I’ve had any cramping in a few weeks. … But they are still a PITA (Pain in the Ass) and having to stand up and walk around for a few minutes each time doesn’t help one sleep peacefully. - But I will make sure to get some additional salt in today, since I believe that is what I missed yesterday.

I think salt makes a difference for me too.

Agree with Allie that you (we) shouldn’t count on the maximum autophagy that you would get from a water-only fast, but cellular clean-up is something that’s happening all the time to some degree, and I’m pretty sure that it’s enhanced when we limit protein,

(MelissaH) #275

Thanks Claudia! My goal is autophogy and just more energy. I have 15 lbs to lose to my goal weight.

(MelissaH) #276

I’ve read a few articles that said a few TB of fat was ok. So many opinions.

(Allie) #277

And if you keep reading, you’ll find plenty that say any calories of any sort will interfere with it. Truth is no one can really know for sure as it cannot be measured, so if your main goal is autophagy it may be best to play it safe and avoid all calories.

(MelissaH) #278

It’s a goal for sure! Your right about all the conflicting advice. Something to work up to! Thanks

I thought this was true, but some of the most interesting (and exciting) research on fasting right now is by Longo, and I think he’s mostly using modified fasts. I have to look up the last podcast I listened to, but I remember being surprised. I’ll look it up and post when I get a chance.

[But still, if you want to be sure - aim for water fasts.]

(MelissaH) #280

If stress interferes with fasting then now may not be the best time for me!