Semi NOOB Faster

(DARREN) #1

Morning all,

Its 08:00 I ate my last meal at 19:00 last night. I intend fasting right through too 19:00 tonight (24hrs)

I have been on a Keto diet for 10 weeks now, I have absolutely no trouble fasting for the 24hrs. My body just seems to feed itself, I also drink about 2ltrs of water every day. I have been doing this 1 day fast for 3 Thursdays in a row now, BUT…

My question is:

I love Coffee, and in-particularly Latte coffee’s. I have my own Bean to cup machine at home which I make about 3-4 cups per-day. 2 of them will be with Full Fat milk, steamed so I can make a Latte (this is UK Full Cream Milk, basically pasteurized with none of the fat removed)

When on a traditional Carb eaters Fast you are supposed to not eat ANY CARBS, or it will break your fast. BUT, As I am feeling like I am fat adapted now, does drinking Full cream milk in my coffee effectively break my fast. Even though I have Ketones flowing through me already every day. Is a Keto fast different too a Carb persons fast.

On my fasting days I get up from bed 05:15, make my usual Latte coffee. then at 10am I drink another Americano coffee with a splash of milk. 13:00 I drink another americano with dash of milk. I get home at 17:30 I then wait until 19:00 before making my Eggs & Bacon (is my favorite :slight_smile:)
I also drink my 2ltrs of water throughout my work day.

('Jackie P') #2

Basically there are 26 grams of carbohydrate in 1 pint of full fat milk! So yes, drinking milk will break your fast and use up most of your daily carb allowance. This is why milk is not generally considered a Keto friendly food!
There are 18g of carbs in a pint of double cream, and virtually no carbs in butter! You could try having a little cream in your coffee, or better still some butter which won’t spike your insulin.
All the time there is insulin in your blood you are not fasting/burning fat.
:slightly_smiling_face:

(DARREN) #3

Ok, Thanks.

So if I cut out the Latte and only had a splash of milk (dont like Cream as it curdles in coffee and tried bullet proof coffee :face_vomiting: (rotten). Coffee is my only vice I have in life. I dont drink alcohol or smoke lol… Its the one thing I enjoy. So surely 2 x table spoons of milk in a coffee shouldn’t throw me out of a fast? (praying not lol)

I thought the whole idea of a fast was so you went into a light ketosis which eats some fat, but as we as keto lifestyle types are already generating ketones if we fast it simply forces my body to eat more of its fat reserves? Is this wrong thinking?

(Paul H) #4

There are so many reasons to fast. Any carbs will cause an insulin response and diminish the fasting benefits. Using up the existing glycogen and avoiding insulin during a fast is key for fat loss. So you need to find what’s the best you can do and know why you are fasting? If is strictly for fat loss… zero carbs for the best results. If it’s for one of the many other reasons…there are various types of fasting that are still beneficial. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Carl Keller) #5

Dr. Jason Fung permits his patients to use cream in their coffee or tea. As a rule of thumb, if you are having less than 50 calories, it will have a very minimal impact on your fasted state. Just be careful with products that contain artificial sweeteners since they can affect insulin levels (even more than table sugar does) and keeping insulin low is the main goal in fasting.

(Allie) #6

You’re doing it wrong clearly… how are you making these coffees that curdle cream? :astonished:

Technically, depending on your reasons for fasting, ANY calories break a fast.

(DARREN) #7

On my fast day I only drink water and coffee with the Milk I mentioned. I appreciate that a Full Latte might carry more calories than you state. So I will cut this back too just a splash of full cream milk (2tbl spoons approx per coffee)

This is the fact sheet on 1 tbsp. I will take 4 x tbsp in 2 x cups of coffee on my fast day, if I cut out the Latte

(DARREN) #8

I make my coffee in the machine

Double espresso then add hot water, and add the Double cream (1 tbsp) after and stir. I always find it doesnt mix well, and has the look of milk that has gone off… (little white bits floating in the coffee)

(Allie) #9

That’s just bizarre as I’ve never had it happen and plenty of us here use cream in coffee regularly.

('Jackie P') #10

I had a friend who was struggling to give up milk. I made a mixture for him of 1part cream and 3 parts almond milk and he enjoyed that.
Whatever you do it needs to work for you, and you need to enjoy it. Maybe you will lose weight with your milk, plenty of people do. And then you know how to tighten up if you hit a stall in the future.
:blush:good luck

(DARREN) #11

I use Double Cream, is this the reason for it. Should I use something else.

I love Cream. Especially on my Homemade Keto Cheesecake.

(DARREN) #12

So you made a Latte version with these amounts as a Full cream milk replacement?

('Jackie P') #13

He uses it for tea and coffee in the day and drinks some at night! About 1 pint a day!

(DARREN) #14

Since moving to Keto I have given up a lot of the Nice sweet surgery things I loved before. Coffee is the one thing I have left.

I will say, I don’t have the sweet tooth I used to have.

(DARREN) #15

Double or Single cream.

This thread is really pounding it into my head that I need to stop with my HWC while on a fast. I knew it already but didn’t want to accept it. I still lose weight, but I bet I could lose faster without the cream. I’m almost out, so I guess I won’t be buying anymore. Gonna have to try the ghee option, I guess.

I just remembered this is in the fasting sub-forum. Aren’t we supposed to be using the blur feature? :woman_shrugging:

(Allie) #17

I use the same so shouldn’t be. The only thing I can think of is maybe temperature as the hotter the liquid the more likely it is to curdle, and as you add just 1tbsp it won’t cool it very much.

(Anne Brodie) #18

Double cream is thick kind of like cream cheese and will break into chunks if simply dropped into to coffee. Heavy cream in the U.S. is still liquid. Double cream is basically heavy cream that has more liquid evaporated from it, and I find it to be delicious.

If you DO want to use double cream in your coffee, put the DC in the cup first and then dribble in some coffee and stir. Repeat until liquidy and then you can add the rest of the coffee without chunks. And sometimes even when I pour heavy cream in coffee it isn’t blended well until stirred, but this is not curdled. It just kind of stays in pools on the surface due to the high amount of fat.

(Allie) #19

Double cream pours easily and is nothing like cream cheese, it is the same as HWC.

(Susan) #20

I find when I am on a Fast, I cannot have any calories basically or I just don’t lose any weight on it…but I know everyone’s body is different.

I tried having my Silk Cashew almond milk (which is really low calories, like 25 for a cup) and after a 48 hour fast, it was no loss… so I just decided that it was better for me not to even have that.

I know lots of people on the forum do it and have no problems though, all our bodies are complex and different.