Second chance

I wrote here before. I tried keto.

And got stuck. I developped thrombosis/pulmonary embolism. This threw everything upside-down. Had to focus on recovery first. Body & mind. Back on track now.

Wishing to restart keto…but slightly hesitant: is there any kind of link between keto and thrombosis? If not, would anyone want to help me restart? I find it terribly hard to change my diet. But I know it helps my mood and anxiety.

(Alec) #2

No. The best way to avoid further thrombosis is to reduce inflammation, and the best way to do that is by eating a keto or carnivore diet. Best way to get back into it is by stopping eating all starches and sugars. What does this leave? Fatty meat, fish, eggs, dairy, and a small amount of above ground veg (I would avoid the fruit, but up to you).

My best advice for people starting (or re-starting) is to not go hungry: if you are hungry, eat a steak or some eggs. If you are still hungry, eat some more… you have to get your body to understand that there is plenty of high quality nutrient rich food coming in. When it learns that it normalises your hunger hormones and you will be less hungry and have fewer (if any) cravings.

Good luck!

(Alec) #3

By the way, if I had a thrombosis and with what I know, I would eat a strict lion diet for 12 months. Beef, salt and water. Literally nothing else.

Thanks!

I thought about lions or carnivore. I have mental health issues. Anemia. Thrombosis. And food intolerances. I seem to respond to a lot at the moment…and don’t know what exactly the culprit is. Dairy is 100% sure an issue and tested. And eggs might be. So that leaves me with meat and fish anyway.

I don’t have a lot of information on lion’s though. What’s your argument? I’ll seek out some good information on the lion’s and carnivore diet. I love fruits and veggies. But I wish to be healthier.

(Alec) #5

The lion diet simply means eating beef, salt and water. No lions involved! :joy::crazy_face: It is the ultimate elimination diet. Made famous by Michaela Peterson (worth googling… you and she may share some issues!)

:slight_smile:

I read a bit before. And also bumped into paleolithic keto now. Not sure what to do. Will read up on lion versus carnivore. I’m considering that. Not sure whether to quickly switch or slowly ease into it.

Read a bit. I think I will go for a short fast. Then Lion diet. Then if I feel it has a good effect for a while, I’ll try add back things carefully, to see what I respond to. I think keto is more feasible in the long run. And prefer keto for a maintainance diet.

(Robin) #8

Please stick with lion or low carb keto or carnivore long enough to truly feel the benefits. Don’t be too quick to add on anything until you are fully adapted. Probably months, not weeks.

I look forward to updates on your progress.
You got this!

thanks, i will

do you know there’s any good info comparing the three?

Thought it through…my diet needs an overhaul…

I take the this month to prepare.

• Research it well. I want to know what I’m doing.
  • I found a naturopath doc and will have tests and advice.
  • I arranged private iron infusions. I want that upped before changing my diet & quitting supplements.
  • Withdrawal of coffee, sugar, grain. And be more precise avoiding dairy and gluten.
  • Eating a healthy whole food diet.
  • Cleaning out my kitchen.
  • I found a good butcher online. He has organic, grass-fed, non-medicated, ancient race cows. If I eat only cow, I want it to be a good and well-cared for cow. :slight_smile: i’ll fill up my freezer.
  • Discuss with a fasting expert what a good length fast is.

Then I want to start with a fast. And lion/carnivore/keto start.

How about meds and supplements when on carnivore?

(Robin) #11

Sorry, I’ve done very little investigating.
I started with keto (under 20 g carbs) then after a year, I quite naturally transitioned to carnivore. I’ve never seen or felt a need to change.

(Robin) #12

I only take magnesium to help with leg/foot cramps at night.
And collagen for pure vanity reasons… hair, nails, skin.

In theory, you should not “need” supplements. We are probably a 50/50 split on supplements here.

You can read and research and will find there is often conflicting info and experiences. So in the end, you still need to go with your gut. Literally and figuratively.

Enjoy the journey.

(Marianne) #13

You might want to hold off on that until your body acclimates to your new way of eating. No reason to go without at this stage. Fasting is not a requirement for success and many people don’t do it. At this point, I’d encourage you to eat ample amounts at regular intervals so that your body can become comfortable with the change you are embarking upon and know that you are going to feed it. Once you have some time under your belt, it will let you know if it’s not hungry and then you can skip a meal if you really don’t feel like eating. Good luck.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

No. If anything, it is likely to help. Thrombosis is clotting of the blood, and a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet reduces the glycation that makes blood likelier to clot. On top of that, the insulin response to carbohydrate interferes with the body’s production of nitric oxide (NO), which is the primary chemical the body uses to keep blood pressure low. So with blood that’s not so “sticky” and arteries that are more relaxed, you are likely to have less trouble with thrombosis, not more.

I suspect that what happened before was simply bad luck. You were already on the road to thrombosis, and weren’t keto long enough for it to head it off. But that’s a what-if, and the key point is that it is likely to help, if you can stick with it for a while, this time.

I’m glad for your recovery, and I hope you continue to do well. Be sure to let us know from time to time how you’re getting on.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

Fish might also be a problem, so keep an eye on things.

The term “lion diet” is just a fancy name for a strict elimination diet of beef and water. You don’t have to stick to it forever, but it will clear out the toxic effects other foods that you might be sensitive to. Once your body has recovered, you can add back other foods slowly, one at a time, and figure out which ones are problematic to your system.

The reason it’s beef and not other meats is that the amino-acid profile of beef contains the essential amino acids that we cannot make for ourselves in exactly the proportions we need. This means that all the protein in beef is available to us, and there are no wasted amino acids. Eggs come very close, but they often provoke sensitivities in people, so you want to steer clear of them for a while.

Thanks. Yeah, I think there were a few other reasons for my thrombosis. But I wanted to check.

I read quite a bit. I will go for Lion diet. I’ll discuss the fasting with someone who knows a lot about that. I think I will do Lion first. And fast when I am, hopefully, more improved.

Is there any idea how long to be on the diet before you introduce things?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

At least 30 days, or until all the food-intolerance symptoms have been gone for a couple of weeks, whichever is longer. You want to have a clean baseline to work from.

(Robin) #18

What @PaulL said. Plus, only introduce one single thing each time. Like one kind of vegetable. One type of nut, etc.

I’m rethinking and changing my plan again. I started keto right away. I have some mental health issues that I really want to rid myself of asap. And hope keto works for. My keto sticks says I have around 8 mmol/L within 24-36 hours. I ate nearly only meat the first day, to quicken the process.

I feel depressed, which might be my personal situation, or the switch to keto, or both.

I want to stick with keto until I have everything ready, and may switch to carnivore or Lion diet in a month.

I’m reading a bit…some website says values above 6 mmol are too high and can point at ketoacidosis. Some say ketosticks overestimate ketosis. Is 8 mmol normal? Within a day?