Saying hello to Ketos

Yeah it must be regional… I am a Hungarian and I never saw a hot cross bun here and it has nothing to do with Christian customs either (Christianity is big here and I know a lot of things about it. Originally I “belonged” to the Reformed Church as my anchestors but I don’t follow a religion. I just was baptized). We have the usual fast here. Not hot cross buns but not the super strict special rules either.

Carnivores still consume carbs, it’s individual but I usually get 3-20g carbs from animal products, sometimes more.

I don’t know about that, never heard it. I suppose the human body is way smarter than that but maybe Paul actually know what happens when one eats a few or less carbs a day AND drinks some booze. I am interested :slight_smile: What if it’s a lot of booze? Of course a sugar free kind.
But our brain needs some glucose, no way the body neglect it. It somehow handles everything, that’s sure.

(Eve) #83

Hot cross buns are delicious! They are a slightly sweet spiced yeast bun with dried fruit in, and have a cross on the top made of pastry to denote the cross of crucifixion. I am sure that many people in England who eat them though have no idea of what they are supposed to symbolise :rofl:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #84

It’s probably the reason that many people on a keto diet find that alcohol hits them a lot harder. As for gluconeogenesis, that’s not as crucial, since part of the handling of the ethanol involves turning it into glucose. And remember that glucose and ketones are in something of a reciprocal relationship, so far as feeding our body is concerned: the more glucose, the less ketones, because we don’t want to interfere with clearing glucose from the blood, since hyperglycaemia is dangerous and a metabolic emergency. When ketones are abundant, there is less need for glucose, since the brain feeds easily on ketones. The liver maintains just enough glucose to fee our red blood corpuscles (and probably the brain still needs some, too, though just how much has apparently not actually been demonstrated).

(Allie) #85

I got curious.

https://www.ravenhook.com/bread-blog/hot-cross-buns#:~:text=Hot%20cross%20buns%20have%20been,crosses%20to%20celebrate%20the%20gods.

(Eve) #86

That is really interesting! And as is often the case, shows that some of our Christian practices etc often have roots in non-religious beginnings. A very interesting read, thanks

(Eve) #87

I used to sing that song as a child! And once again, a custom with origins in paganism

As I’ve read, it always was religious… Just not Christian.

Wow, I didn’t know it was that old! And that the cross always symbolized something…

(Eve) #89

Does anyone have problems with high histamine foods? I can’t eat any protein that is not fresh and quickly cooked as otherwise the histamine is too high and causes very bad bloating and indigestion e.g. slow cooked meats, smoked foods, tinned fish, also pork and bacon, as well as spinach! I assume it is an issue with a gut that is not yet healed but hope that with time on the keto diet l will see some improvements. I ate the pork fat off my husbands pork this evening and now feel 6 months pregnant!!

(Eve) #90

I have now been on the keto diet for about 2 months and am delighted to report that l suffer from much less indigestion. I was practically mainlining antacids on a daily basis but just never thought that my piles of lovely cooked veg was the culprit. And to sound like a broken record, l am just amazed that ad lib veg is not necessarily healthy. I always thought that veg was something you just couldn’t go wrong with - how wrong was l…!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #91

Yeah, it often works that way.

Also, for what it’s worth, a number of forum members have reported that their problem with acid reflux was not that they had too much stomach acid, but rather they didn’t have enough. Apparently, the sphincter between the oesophagus and the stomach needs a fair amount of stomach acid present to help it stay properly closed.

(Eve) #92

Yes l was tested and found to be very low on stomach acid. I wonder what the link between acid reflux/indigestion, and high carbs is - do you know why my indigestion has got better on the keto diet?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #93

Probably because the food you are eating stimulates more stomach acid. But that’s just a guess, so don’t quote me.

(Eve) #94

Fair enough- l am just grateful it has improved!

(Eve) #95

I am using the chronometer app to track my daily intake, and yesterday had the following - 13.9g carbs, 160.9g fat, 106.9g protein - l weigh about 52kg. From this I worked out the percentages based on the weights of each macro, getting approx 5 carb, 57 fat and 38 protein. Please give your feedback on this - is the protein too high? What do you think?

(Eve) #96

Based on info in this site, it seems that my fat should be 130-165 g per day, protein 75-120 g, and carbs less than 20g.
Are the percentages ( 5/75/20, carb, fat, protein) based on calories or weight?

Don’t care about percentages, they are irrelevant as long as you feel okay with yours, your taste, energy need, protein need and other things seriously affect them. A very active one may need 90% fat, another would feel best with 50%… :smiley: Even the same person easily needs different percentages if they change the consumed energy for reasons. 75% is quite high, it’s near impossible for me, I would overeat like crazy with that and wouldn’t feel so great either. As my body just wants high protein. I am a short woman but my body just doesn’t accept less than 130g protein. But I feel quite fine even with my normal intake (150-160 in average lately? 100-230g a day) so I don’t worry, I merely try to do my best to keep my protein at the minimum as I don’t want to eat in a wasteful way. But I need to get satiated and that just can’t happen without high protein.

The percentages are for calories. It would be even crazier in weights, few people would manage it I suppose. It would be very low protein and/or massive overeating I suppose, I don’t start calculating now.

(Eve) #98

So l need to convert the weight in g into calories? Any ideas of an easy way to do that?

You can just… Forget about calories and grams, actually. Why do you track?

There are apps and sites to track. You just need to weigh everything (and have some idea about what you eat. it’s not always easy or possible, I can’t track if I eat elsewhere, I usually don’t know the fattiness of the meat I consume etc.). It’s not always nice, once I made 16 measurements for a single soup… It’s a bit easier on carnivore but still super complicated on some days, I am bad at simple.
But normal people eat simple enough and tracking isn’t such a big deal. Still a restrictive thing, way better without. But sometimes we get some information from it and it may help. Especially in the beginning for a while. Or when your eating style changes.

(Eve) #100

Since l am so new and anxious to get it right, l track what l eat, mainly to make sure the carbs are low enough but also to make protein isn’t too high. So it is helpful at the moment - l get very tied up in all the different opinions and experiences of the different people in the forum, particularly in reference to the amount of protein which is optimal!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #101

Some people will say that’s a bit too much protein, while others will say it’s fine. If you are doing well, then don’t worry about it.

Percentages are, for historical reasons, always based on total calories.

This causes no end of confusion, but it goes back to the days, 150 years ago, when all scientists knew about food was how much energy it released when burnt in a bomb calorimeter. They didn’t even know about macronutrients back then, much less about most minerals and vitamins.

You can do that by multiplying grams of carbohydrate and protein by 4, and grams of fat by 9. These values are approximate, but they are standard in nutrition.

So a ketogenic diet of 20 g of carbohydrate, 150 g of protein and the rest fat, would amount to something like 80 cal of carbohydrate, 600 cal of protein, and 1800 cal (200g) of fat, for a total of 2480 calories. That works out to 3.2% carb/24% protein/72.6% fat, in terms of calories.