Saying hello to Ketos

you ain’t kiddin on that one!! a lb. of bacon or a few strips, like KEEP ALL other paws off it!

(Laurie) #23

Hi Allen. I don’t think you need to concentrate on high fat content. Just don’t be afraid of fat. And don’t be fooled by products labeled “lean” or “low fat,” as these often have starchy or sugary fillers. Best wishes.

(Eve) #24

become a Patreon to help support the costs of keeping the forums open.

• how do we become a Patreon? I live in the UK.

(Allie) #25

You sign up to Patreon.

(Eve) #26

When is the best time to test for ketones? I do it after breakfast in the morning. Is this an OK time? I have just seen someone post that evening is better but how long after dinner would that have to be?

(Allie) #27

(Eve) #28

I will be interested to hear the replies. I tested again this morning after having a run and the ketones were even lower. Not sure if l should be worried or not …

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

How much carbohydrate did you eat yesterday? That’s the first question to ask. The more insulin-resistant someone is, the more important it is to keep carbohydrate intake low, so as to allow insulin levels to drop. Fortunately, most people find that time on a ketogenic diet goes a long way toward reversing their insulin-resistance.

(Eve) #30

I didn’t think l ate any more carbs than usual, but perhaps l had. Does exercise affect ketone levels?

(Eve) #31

And is there a best or worse time to test?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #32

Ketone levels vary throughout the day. If your blood sugar is subject to the dawn phenomenon, then they might be a bit lower in the morning and rise through the day.

But we advise not chasing ketones. As long as your carbohydrate intake is low enough, then your liver will be making ketones, along with the small amount of glucose required by certain cells. The fluctuations in serum glucose and serum β-hydroxybutyrate are really not all that important; the real point is to keep insulin low enough that our metabolism is in fat-burning mode, not glucose-burning mode.

(Eve) #33

So even though you advise not to chase ketones l decided to do a little experiment today - l tested after breakfast and ketones were very low. I then tested after a jog and they were even lower, then in the afternoon, still very low and now just done it again and l am negative! So as the day has gone on, the ketones have progressively dropped to zero! Do you have any ideas why?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #34

I’ve never heard of a negative ketone reading before, sorry. Are you sure your meter is working correctly, and that the batch of strips is properly calibrated? Perhaps a member who uses a meter will read this and explain how to troubleshoot. Myself, I’ve never used a meter.

(Eve) #35

By negative l mean zero ketones

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #36

Ah, that makes sense.

If you are just starting out on your keto diet, I’d advise taking a hard look at exactly what you’re eating. It is easy for hidden carbs to be present. (We can help with that, if you’d like to share your diet with us.) If you’ve been keto for some time, then it may simply be that your liver is getting more efficient at matching production to demand.

A couple of researchers also caution that it’s important to be eating enough fat, because it’s fat from which ketones are made (they stand in the same relation to fatty acids as charcoal does to wood.) If we are not eating glucose (i.e., carbohydrate), then we need to be getting our energy from fat. And we need not fear fat; Dr. Phinney says that his data show that, on a low-carb/keto diet, the increased fat intake actually increases fatty-acid metabolism, so that we are metabolising both the fat we eat and any excess stored fat. In fact, the amount of fat it takes to supply a given number of calories is less than half the amount of carbohydrate required.

Allen, I started Keto/LCH 12 years ago under the supervision of a medical doctor and sports scientist who is also a doctor. I am a numbers guy so I tracked everything I could. I wanted to make sure I knew what was happening empirically. I wanted to have a baseline before I started. So I did a DEXA Scan and a complete blood test before I started. My goal was fat loss. I, therefore, eliminated food that was white or could be white. I also measured my blood ketones on a regular basis. After 3 months I retested. I lost fat weight only and my main blood marker for inflammation - CRP number plummeted. Aches and pains disappeared.
I maintained my caloric intake which is really important. The fat will satiate and you will not feel like eating but do so. Caloric restriction is not the way to do keto unless you are mortality obese. I put olive oil on most of my food. Not a lot but some. I did not measure my carb intake as eliminating white food pretty much solved that. I did have blueberries every day 1/2 cup (7 grams of carbs). In the beginning, I only measure my protein intake in grams. Now I know what 30 grams of protein looks like and I do not measure it.
I do some IF (16-8) 2-3x per week. I also increased my water intake to 2-3 litres per day. 4 x 500ml bottles seemed visually easier to drink than a big jug of water. I also increased my salt intake. (Redmond’s Real Salt). Be careful as this can also raise your blood pressure as it did to me.
In the very beginning, it does require some discipline. Generally, men are habit eaters, so make sure your kitchen is absent of your triggers. (potato chips and cookies were mine).
A professional dietitian who has experience or specializes in Keto could be worth their weight in gold.
YouTube has tons of information and misinformation. Most, not all, are trying to sell either a pill, potion or a program and cherry-pick their data. There are no absolutes when it comes to food and food is more than just macros.
My doctor seems to think that those that have a Type O blood seem to easily get into ketosis. No scientific data to support this idea, it is just what he has observed with his patients.
Finally, while Keto may work great for you, you may find it difficult to adhere to. Eating should not be difficult. If so, Keto may not be for you.
Good luck!

(Eve) #38

I think l must still be too low on fat. I find that when l have eaten the protein in a meal, with a few veggies, l am still hungry so then have 1 or 2 keto seeded crackers with butter or a piece of almond flour bread with butter, which may be bringing the carbs too high. I need to figure out how to increase the fat so it is at a correct level and also so l am not searching for low carb things to fill me up. I don’t want to increase protein due to the possibility of gluconeogenesis occurring. Are far bombs a safe thing to make and eat.?
I am definitely definitely eating much less carb but don’t think l am quite there yet re a good keto diet.
I don’t actually have a clear idea of what 75% fat looks like in terms of what l should be eating daily. Any suggestions are always very welcome and appreciated.

(Eve) #39

I meant … fat bombs …

(Eve) #40

Is the fat % by weight or calories?

It really depends on your individual situation. If you are new to Keto, it can be difficult to get started and it is important to understand the basics of the diet before you begin. It may be beneficial to consult with a professional dietitian who can help you understand the diet and provide support. If you have experience with Keto, then starting on your own may be a good option. Many people find success with Keto by following online guides, books, and other resources. Ultimately, it is important to make sure you are properly managing your nutrition and making healthy food choices while following the Keto diet.