Saved bacon fat. Now what to do with it

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #1

I saved my first batch of bacon fat. :bacon: It’s amazing how much fat 1 pound of bacon yields! I saved it in the fridge in a glass Pyrex container. Wondering what I can use on? I know it’s good for deep frying but I don’t have a deep fryer (yet). Any ideas on what one can use it on?

(Hoby Bradfield) #2

Darn near anything! Sauté your favorite veggies in it… there are recipes for fudge that uses bacon fat and bacon bits it it… cook your eggs in it… the limit to the use of bacon fat is your imagination…

(Running from stupidity) #3

If you have a use for fat (which t’s possible that you just might), you have a use for bacon fat. Use it to disguise the taste of brussels sprouts, even.

(Mike W.) #4

I highly suggest baconnaise.

(Wendy) #5

I have so much of it I share with my dog. I figure she can use some healthy fat in her diet as well. She’s slim but mostly only gets grain free dry food.

(TJ Borden) #6

I need to try that again. I made a batch once, but something just didn’t taste right. It was also using bacon fat from store bought bacon. Now that I cure my own, the fat it yields seems totally different.

(Ken) #7

Dip pork rinds into it.

(Whitney) #8

Another question…is there a limit to how MANY times you can use the same batch of grease? For example, this morning I cooked up some bacon and saved the fat. At lunch, I used about a tablespoon of the fat and a tablespoon of unsalted butter to fry up some salmon in the skillet. At the end, I poured off all the leftover fat (from the bacon grease, butter, and fat from the salmon) into the same little container that was still holding other bacon grease from this morning. Is it okay:

1. that I added fat from non-bacon sources (butter, salmon) to the slightly older bacon grease?
    and
  2. that I essentially “double dipped” by pouring fat from the bacon that had been used to cook the salmon back into the container for use cooking something else tomorrow.

(Heather~KWOL for life!) #9

Wilted lettuce

(Laurie) #10

I wouldn’t do #1 or #2. Especially in combination.

As for the original question, bacon fat can be used to fry just about anything: eggs, burger patties, etc.

I make the best hollandaise sauce EVER with bacon fat. I use 4 egg yolks, 4 tbsp butter, and 4 tbsp bacon fat. It’s SO GOOD.

(TJ Borden) #12

Yeah…we’re going to need a little more info about that.

Just whisk together in a double boiler until hot and thickened. Add a splash of lemon juice, salt, and red pepper at the end to taste. SO GOOD.

(TJ Borden) #14

Nice… I’ll be trying that out over some pork belly and eggs for dinner tomorrow.

That sounds delicious! I’m jealous of your pork belly!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #16

I pour used bacon fat back in the jar all the time. I do filter it with cheesecloth though. I think it’s fine. But now that I’ve discovered baconaise I don’t have enough around to reuse.

(Mike W.) #17

What time should I be over?

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #18

Great question, Whitney. Thanks for asking! Ruina, the cheesecloth sounds like a good idea. Keeps all the fine particles out.

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #19

I’m going to try that, Rachel. I love hollandaise sauce.

(Keto Kid 4 Life) #20

Thanks for all your replies! I make bacon quite often and thought I’d be overflowing with bacon grease! I just may never by lard or veggie oils again! I will still use olive oil in my salads, though. :slight_smile: