Satanhead pizza šŸ˜ˆ

pizza
gluten

(AnnaLeeThal) #16

I put the recipe into MFP, just for the dough it is about 50gm total carbs for the whole thing. Which would be about 3-4 carbs per slice of bread or slice of pizza. Not too bad!

Yeah, thatā€™s right! The other shocker is the amount of protein, especially from the gluten.

(AnnaLeeThal) #18

If you go by net carbs it is only 2gm per serving. And 6 grams of protein and fat each!!

Anyone know where I could buy the gluten. I live near Sydney Australia and donā€™t have access to amazon.

Check out shops that specialize in baking supplies. Gluten is often used to enhance some flours that need extra gluten boost (from a bakerā€™s point of view). Another place to look is health supplement shops, because body builders have used it to add a non animal source protein to their protein shakes. Also, stores specializing in vegetarian or vegan foods, as this is an ingredient used to make seitan (faux meat).

I need to find a substitute for almond flour. Maybe macadamia? Im horribly allergicā€¦ like hospital style.

Also, :wink:

Are you allergic to hazelnuts?

Nope, oddly itā€™s just specifically almonds. Iā€™ve seen a few different powders on Amazon, but none are exactly cheap :confused:

Iā€™ll keep an eye out for hazels though. Thanks!

I will one day repeat this recipe with coconut flour. I have to play with the ratios. Itā€™s not straight forward.

If you can get hazelnut flour, you can substitute one for one with almond flour.

(AnnaLeeThal) #25

What I would love is something that resembles sourdough bread.

You know whatā€¦Iā€™m working on that. Thereā€™s a ā€œdutch wet processā€ Iā€™m playing around with. Will definitely report back if I can figure it out. Itā€™s tricky because I got to keep the yeast alive and happily feeding. Hang tightā€¦:wink:

(Cheryl Meyers) #27

Dana Carpenderā€™s earlier cookbooks had a lot of bread recipes using vital wheat gluten, but her later ones donā€™t use it. I find that my joints ache when I eat low carb bread made with it :weary:

Oh dear. Looks like you may be sensitive to gluten. Aw shucks.

Thank you for the recipeā€¦ I have been meaning to come up with my own low carb bread recipe using Malherā€™s ingredient list.

I even tried air tossing/stretching Carlshead pizza this weekā€¦(my 1st job was in a hand tossed pizza joint), it didnā€™t work.

Many thanks for the pictures and recipes.

Bobā€™s red mill vital wheat gluten is available via walmart for those that need to find some.

(John) #30

Tried tonight, on its second rise now, though the first time didnā€™t rise much. I think I used too much water and the yeast didnā€™t seem to really take off, so maybe next time! My yeast is a little old since I havenā€™t had a need for it in 6 months!

If the yeast is old, it will take more than one rise. Thereā€™s usually an expiration date on the package. Doesnā€™t mean expired yeast doesnā€™t riseā€¦it will take longer. In the photographs above, you will see how much the yeast puffed up when I mixed it with sugar and water. It almost overflowed the little glass cup.

(Ashley Haddock) #32

Iā€™m not 100% sure if I have issues with gluten, or if it is carbs only. I think this recipe would be a perfect way to test that. It looks amazing!! Thank you, @Fiorella!

(Ashley Haddock) #33

Yes! I miss sourdough so much! I donā€™t miss bread too often but do miss that lovely sourdough flavor with lots of butter, of course.

Working on it, Ashleyā€¦:grin:

(Ashley Haddock) #35

:grin: