Saffron sour cream and bacon soup

sour
saffron
curd
cream
bacon

This is a rich creamy soup, with a sweet and tangy taste.

First start with chopping a bit of bacon, and crisp it up to your desired level in a sauce pan. I used four strips of bacon

I added some homemade chicken broth (shown in the two jars in photo above)

I then added a pinch of saffron. The photo represents about 1/8 teaspoon. If you don’t have saffron, you can use tumeric (different flavour, but still a good alternative). If you don’t like either saffron or tumeric, you can add a tablespoon of tomato paste, or cut up a few cherry tomatoes (watch your carb count, though)

Add the spice to the broth, and mix well

Add sour cream. I used approx 3/4 of this container

Mix well and bring soup to a slight boiling point, and let it evaporate (reduce) to your desired consistency. And then adjust for salt and pepper

I took advantage of some beautiful fresh curds I got from a local cheesemaker. This is their curds they make, which then gets used to make their cheeses (Gouda, cheddar, etc). These curds have never been refrigerated. Buy them from your cheesemaker, and keep them on your counter. When they are refrigerated, you ruin their subtle tast

I placed some fresh cheese curds in middle of soup plate

I then ladled hot soup over the fresh curds. The curds start to melt (like mozzarella) in the hot soup

Here’s the perfect bite: hot creamy soup, with bacon and saffron, and a piece of fresh cheese curd drooping (melting) with the heat of the soup

Tub of Sour Cream

Here you go @Becky

Finally got the recipe up :slight_smile:

(Richard Morris) #3

Best advice I have ever been given about saffron - which is expensive stuff - is use it like you stole it.

ie: be liberal with saffron

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #4

Looks awesome @Fiorella. I’ve never used saffron, I’m looking forward to trying this. I enjoy tumeric, I add it to my chicken soup so I know I’ll luv bacon in a soup. I’ve never seen fresh cheese curds used in a soup, I’m drooling to try it :blush::sunglasses:

I can’t help it, since I was born and raised in Canada…poutine, eh! Cheese curds makes the magic that is poutine…so, adding them to hot, creamy soups delivers similar tastes and textures.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #6

I was thinking poutine! We were introduced to poutine 5 years back when my husband worked in Canada for a few weeks. We tried a few recipes when he came home, but we didn’t give a thought to the freshness of the cheese… and we’re surrounded by cheese in Wisconsin!