Rudolph the Red Meat Ruminant

Oh yep, Happy Birthday, @FrankoBear! :smiley: Hopefully you can feel better somehow in the future…? I will look up what I can do for my back myself… I think I am healthy enough just my nerves get pinched but something should be able to help… I want a long, fit life, I got the genes I think, I work for the good woe… But we all should do what we can, health is super precious and so many people can’t seem to see that.

Now that I skipped cream for a while, having it in my coffee is a bliss. It’s good I got used to drinking way less coffee so it’s automatic not to drink it all the time. But it’s good. I bought a better coffee than my tiny leftover as well :slight_smile: The Ozzie one, Moccona already run out.
I bought interesting and nice smelling teas as well. Hopefully my rebellious/“it’s December” self will be content with these extra drinks most of the time…
And I have sausages to fry and with them, I have enough pork for the next 2 days. Then Alvaro cooks beef (it’s so tiny…). And I make my next pork roast on Sunday. Things start to get very predictable (except the extras like the beef, it doesn’t happen every week)… I definitely don’t want organs for a while now but I have a turkey wing. I still in love with scrambled eggs as well. So I shouldn’t get bored.

Yesterday I blew my OMAD in the end. But with a great (and smallish) carni second dinner and I probably needed it so it’s fine. Still not good that I can’t stand lack of satiation (not even slight hunger) and being in the kitchen together… It was after 1am, not long before my bedtime. I should eat bigger dinners… But I have no idea about the size without tracking. Maybe eating as much as I can works with certain items… But I still don’t like that approach and only do it before planned EF.

The cottage cheese is a type of quark, it seems, at least it totally looks, feel and taste like that :D. A creamy type, with the crumbles but wet and creamy between them :slight_smile: We have dry crumbles and creamier things with tiny crumbles, this big crumbles but wet is like the dry stuff mixed with sour cream. Just without the fat. it’s 4% fat, very low-fat, even lower than normal quark and that’s very low-fat too - but it’s still quite nice. IDK how it works, I never liked low-fat dairy, didn’t even try or believe in it… :smiley: I usually need to put sour cream into the normal 7% fat quark, well partially due to its dryness (and yolk for the taste, I put yolk into everything but it’s a very common addition anyway).
Why I didn’t like the last (and first) “cottage cheese” I tried? I like this one!

Weather is cold, around 0C and we have drizzle… I won’t go out, I do my workout and maybe my tiniest usual walk later? I need to get out :frowning: I did it yesterday but not enough.
I only went out to feed the birds :slight_smile: We only have the usual kind of chickadee at the moment, great tit :slight_smile: We often see blue ones as well but great tits are more common and I never will get bored of the name…

@FrankoBear
WOW you had to evacuate and come back and tell us you are home and everything is ok please!!! Our West gets hit so terrible with the big fires that destroys so much. But we all know that truly is a normal cycle of life out there in mother nature but wishing all you guys are safe!!

I don’t like the sound of your nasty ants over there :scream:

You are younger than me! OK, I am the elder so ya must listen to me at all times :clown_face:

Almost raw steak in the middle, did ya love it? I was such a well done meat cooker and on carnivore I slowly walked to more rare and more rare til now, omgosh I just love a very blue rare steak. I never thought I would be one eating it but that taste is so fab now to me.

@Naghite
It is great you are experimenting back a bit to see what works for your body. It is disappointing to lose foods but key is you know what is going to make ya icky or make ya vibrant when ya eat it so this experimenting is a good way to learn so much about ourselves…cool

---------So guys the pics are the board are fab! I always look forward to them as part of my day to see carnivore meals in our day!

I got a nice NY Strip steak I am defrosting. Making a lb of jumbo shrimp with it. Got a tad more brisket to finish up also. Time to eat him up and go onto some other meat.

All great in ZC land and my mind is focusing on Jan. when I wanna focus on losing these last darn lbs I want gone. I am ready to get thru this last holiday and just do a simple, easy, calm carnivore focus and let those months of winter time work for me and get some good little benefits I want to happen.

Carnivore on strong all!

(Robin) #104

Oh my gosh! At first glance I thought that was another one of your great beach photos… of a glorious sunrise! Wow. MY brother in California deals with yearly fires around them too. He seems to take it in stride too. Hope you get home soon and safely!

(Daisy) #105

Hope all is alright @FrankoBear, that’s very alarming!

I really enjoyed doing omad the few days I did it last week. I only did it in preparation for my work party, but it was just so easy. So starting today I’m going to go back to omad. Not religiously, I will be flexible about it, but the majority of the time I will do omad. Today was another absolutely delicious omelette (I’m telling you… yesterday and today’s were :fire:!) and brisket. Plus bone broth jello. I ate a little past comfort just to help me get back used to omad. I will do better as I go along!

image image

I am not sure I call this OMAD but I had a maybe 70 minutes eating window even if I ate twice :smiley: The second was without any real urge except knowing I didn’t eat enough previously.

That’s not what I ate as always when I try to make a photo about my planned meal or part of it (I had focus problems for some reason):

I ate the scrambled eggs, the sponge cake muffin (that I started before) and a bite from the chicken liver (I really need other recipes and a break from it) and exactly half of the pork roast. And I ate cottage cheese, 9g sausage and later eggs and pork jowl. Pork jowl is my saviour when I can’t eat my normal food but lack calories (I suppose. I can’t guess my intake ever but I have some vague idea that 4 eggs and a little meat isn’t enough). But I feel really full now. Just comfortably but I tend to stop earlier.

The cottage cheese is too salty (still good just I would prefer it less salty). 0.7% salt is too high for a neutral thing. I looked up our normal quark, that has no added salt.

I had some coffees with cream as well and I am content now. If my body consider it a too low-cal day for a workout day, I will eat later for sure but I try not to if it’s not so important.

I think I stop my every day scrambled eggs now. Cute thing but it lost some of its charm. I rather eat it only every second day and feeling the bliss from before… I have dry yolks to bake or fry something with anyway. I have not many options. But I have cottage cheese, almost quark though more wet… I can make some savory mug cake with these…

(Robin) #107

I’m the same… I need to stop eating some foods every day before I actively dislike them!

I have this with all egg dishes. Not eggs in general. I can’t not eating 5-10 eggs basically every day, what else would I eat? But I need to eat them in the form I like at the moment :slight_smile:
Pork roast is better, I am fine with that nearly every day now. But I have other meat items and very low-meat days, that should be enough for me to never get really bored of my food. We will see when I go for my loooong carni streak next year! (But almost on Christmas, I just don’t expect to be as perfect then yet, maybe I will even drink a little in the end of the year, who knows? I will have more fat and dairy as well before the Strict January but it will be super cool and easy in the beginning. Then… I don’t know. I mentally prepare myself for next year already… It helps.)

My SO has multiple items he simply eats all the time without boredom. He needs variety but that’s what the other items are for. Somewhat similar to me just with other food. I find his eating quite boring sometimes and he probably thinks the same or find my food inedible in the way I eat them (pork alone, eggs alone, pork with eggs… I think it’s great but it’s not his style).
But our household surely don’t need all the zillion types of food and all the variety average people have. That’s good. I make eggs in purgatory and 2 lunches are solved for him. He wouldn’t be bored if I made that every week. I would :slight_smile: Just making it would be too repetitive and we don’t need that easy option for 2 days every week. Sometimes he cooks something and eats it 5-6 days straight (but only for one meal and it’s only one part of one course. not like the other items and meals aren’t repetitive but not the same for all days).

(Karen) #109

@FrankoBear :astonished::astonished: I hadn’t noticed the bushfire when I wished you happy birthday this morning. Praying all goes well with your returning home :pray:

I went and picked up Raymond from hosp this morning and took him home, he’s fine again.

Returned home and put belly pork in oven.

Why I thought it would be any better than the last time I tried it and didn’t like it I don’t know. Guess I thought it would taste different as a joint instead of slices! Too greasy for me but I will down it all. Waste not want not!

Brunch was sauted puri piri chicken and melted cheese

Diner was pork

(Michael) #110

Yesterday breakfast was 1 oz beef liver, 4 oz beef tongue, 5 oz pork loin and 2 oz bone marrow

Had a very large beef ribeye for dinner and lots of cheese

Today breakfast was 8+ oz beef heart with 3 oz bone marrow, 2 oz sheep spleen 3 oz sheep tongue with my 1 oz beef liver vitamin.

Had cheese, salmon and another ribeye for second meal. Ate a lot today.

I need longer term carnivore more than I thought. Well that’s the plan for soon.
I massively overate yesterday. I got kind of hungry but more like missing something. I have this thing. I get further and further from “normal people”. I never understood the type who just grab a quite empty sandwich and gets satiated with it. But if I had big, fatty and protein rich meals, I was fine. I realized carbs boost my fat and protein intake, mostly the fat. But the carbs went away slowly and not all the time but they did. I figured out what macros are fine on carnivore, vaguely…
But then my body started missing specific items. I may eat lots of meat, I usually miss eggs if I don’t eat enough during the day. But it seems I miss meat too if it’s too low (not like it’s easy to see what is too low, it seems it slowly goes up).
I only tracked my total intake (guesstimation as it mostly was fatty pork but good enough), it would be interesting to see the macros of my first 1-2 meals (that I had between 5pm and 6:10pm)… It wasn’t enough so I ate a bit more later. And hours later a bigger one. And it still wasn’t enough… I ate eggs first as I wanted to keep my leftover pork and eggs are safer calorie wise anyway, I am not shy with my fatty pork for my first meal but for my 3th… But nope, I needed the meat so I ate it all and it felt so, so wonderful so I think I needed it. It was cold and great :slight_smile:
Well, my carbs are super low, it’s something. Especially in a borderline desperate state at night in December. I typically mess up things then but not now, I kept it carnivore. Not like anything else could work or tempt me so it was easy.
Maybe I ate too little meat lately, I didn’t notice but maybe I needed more. I understand that I can blame the carbs I ate before even if it wasn’t much, I am looking forward to see what long term carnivore will bring but I suspect my body wanted more meat unrelated to it.
When I ate the pork roast, I immediately got out some pork from the freezer. It doesn’t matter how much I ate and I should be able to fast if needed but clearly won’t need another really high-cal day, it doesn’t matter how much other food I have (sausages to fry, it will expire soon), I don’t trust myself without proper meat, that rarely ends well. Yay, I learned not to be overly optimistic…

But I really want my OMAD back :frowning: If I mess up my OMAD, that’s too often 4+ meals… And I don’t start to eat before 5pm. I don’t want to eat at 1pm :frowning: It feels nice enough and I sleep wonderfully with a full stomach (that state always helped me with sleep, if I need a nap, I do it after my big first meal) but still.
But wait, what happened to my heavy feeling the next morning when I ate late? I had nothing like that now but I never had it in my distant past either, maybe it was some temporal thing this year. Or maybe “needed food” isn’t the same as “unneeded, wrong overeating and burdening myself”… It makes sense.

@Shinita
when off the carbs, your meat won’t ‘sit on the guts’ like other foods did in the past and you will eat meat and find you can do very well eating it at all times thru the day and into later at night if you need it, cause it just processes thru our bodies so well.

You will be amazed the longer and longer you hold ZC the more changed you will become and we truly ‘feel the changes’ and are amazed at them. Cause this is not how our bodies functioned in the past on alot more carbs and non-nutrient foods we ate.

Carnivore gives nutrition. Your body is getting more and more balanced. Once that starts to happen we change ALOT and we sometimes are shocked at these changes but they are always good ones :slight_smile:

Keep on rocking into ZC for sure. I think you found a good eating plan for you and with good benefits coming and changes in your physical body, you are setting up for great overall well being in your life. cool.

@Karen18
that pork looks delish and wish we had good packaged chicken around here. We got icky type stuff in all kinds of sauces. Like blackened chicken or chicken in sweet bbq sauces etc. I find for me here it is best to just buy chicken and cook it. I can’t rely on our crappy manufactured stuff around me LOL

--------------------ALL good in ZC land for me.

NY Strip steak today to start with shrimp.
Yes I am SO into surf and turf again :slight_smile: I am super glad it is back and I am wanting it. Being holiday season shrimp is going on good sales, I am now reloading my freezer with great shrimp to last me into the next months.

I am watching stores for standing prime rib roasts and more. Any sales this ol’ gal is jumping on them :wink:

So far so good, just chillin’ in ZC and just eating well and doing my thing.

Waiting for Jan. to start a little ‘play on zc’ for me and getting some goals handled ‘very slowly and easily’ and I am ramped to go at it!

(Daisy) #113

Omad is almost identical to yesterday, with a couple less slices of brisket. Which is fine because yesterday was too much :joy:. Today seemed to be the perfect amount. These omelettes are making me so happy, I can’t even express. I know cheese can be a slippery slope for me, but this feta is just perfection in this omelette. It’s like they were made to be together (with the bacon). Butter in the pan, then the eggs, bacon and feta. Nothing else, no seasonings. There obviously is some salt in the bacon and probably the feta too, so it seasons it perfectly for me. Every bite is this little explosion of flavor :heart_eyes:. This was the last of the brisket, which I’m happy about. It has been making my mouth sore to eat it.
image image

(Robin) #114

Haha… so many of our meals are almost identical to yesterday’s, aren’t they?

(Edith) #115

How are you feeling on carnivore?

I love this post in that you found ‘that meal’ that floats your boat and sets you up for a great day. I also have ‘my perfection meals’ and I get get your post about how well you are doing on it!!

THIS IS MY first meal ya’ll. My steak will be cooked blue rare as I love and in a bit I am gonna be eating very happily!! just got the shrimp out of the water and steaming hot with a nice smaller ‘grass fed’ NY Strip steak I hit on markdown…so weeeeee…I am starving now and gonna go eat.

Just got back from store BUYING candy for kiddo and hubby for Xmas and I SAW things I loved back in the day and bought ONLY what THEY like and I hate and won’t even think of eating … HAHA But getting home, omg I have to eat now and eat fine…surf and turf baby!! :100:

IMG_20211210_104746_682

Me gonna be full and super happy in a flash here at this carnivore home!! WOO HOO! :sunny:

I wasn’t in the mood to wait so I ate 4 eggs (and half in my coffee) and now I am full. It’s an extremely tiny lunch in my world but after my last day, I am not surprised it was enough for now. Eggs are great and I can pull off a very small meal with them very occasionally but I will put some meat into the oven in a few minutes…

I made some biscuits from the leftover cottage cheese, hard-boiled egg yolks and some even has ground hard cheese, maybe some will be a tad crunchy? Probably not, the cottage cheese was too wet for that and my hard-boiled egg yolks can’t act like proper hardening flour. Or I didn’t do something right for it. It’s fine, I just used up leftovers today, I don’t specifically need crunchy biscuits.

I wanted to include photos but I forgot. The cheesy biscuits got dry, hard so that’s fine but not actually crunchy… And a bit too cheesy. Oh well, they were still okay. The little cottage cheese gave it a nice sour flavor and yolks are always awesome.

I think my day is done, for real now! :smiley:
I had some bites while waiting for the sausages, too bad I left the oven at 100 Celsius after I tried to dry the biscuits… But I ate 2 more eggs and the biscuits. And then the sausages, well, 1 of them. Not a great one. I ate wonderful homemade sausages from great home-raised pork, that was the real thing… But it was nice if I forget how it could be. I will make my own sausage tomorrow, I just won’t bother with putting it into intestine. Sausages are needlessly fatty for me anyway. I know that is the way to make proper sausages, meat mixed with lots of fat tissue and spice and salt but nope, not for me if I am the one making it.

But it was super satiating! I couldn’t taste the pork shoulder roast yet (2 cute one pound piece).
The sausage finally gave me the sudden “I can’t eat more. well I can’t but I really don’t want and shouldn’t” (okay, I still ate my leftover bite…) feeling I had with meat in the beginning and not that much anymore. Nowadays I have “I don’t want more meat like this. I want more food” and that isn’t so nice.

I realized I miscalculated yesterday, the guesstimation isn’t 3200 kcal. It was 2600 or even a bit less, I lost track of my eggs a bit. Still quite much but sounds more normal and I had workout and finally ate a proper amount of meat, it seems :slight_smile:

Today was 1500 kcal and only adequate protein (barely, I mean it’s almost high according to what I consider high. it was a bit below 2g/kg for LBM)… No surprise there, I ate some fatty items. Only my eggs could kept it at 72%.

Tomorrow’s beef dish won’t be carnivore but I totally come back the next day. 300g beef per person isn’t enough to last for more than a day (a meal for me). That’s why it’s not a simple stew, we don’t make stew from such a tiny meat if possible. It’s beef neck and it was about $2 per pound on a huge sale due to close expiration date but such meats from that place always worked well.
I just hope I won’t get satiation problems afterwards. I don’t plan to eat more carbs I can rationalize (and that’s not very much. staying keto is possible though I don’t think I trust myself that much nowadays. it’s December too) and it will be only one day, it usually doesn’t cause problems. But I really looking forward to next year (and the time after Christmas), it will be new territory for me!

The pig farm has piglets again but we decided we won’t want any. It was horribly fatty and these are bigger and one would cost a lot… I remember the crispy skin and the smooth lard fondly but it was too fatty even with rendered out fat - and then Alvaro ate his share of the leaner parts and I ended up with some crazy ratio even I didn’t like so much. It was a chore to chop and roast it too but I would gladly do that for some nice roast. But a leaner one.
I plan to buy a piglet again at some point (probably with a bigger freezer though if I empty it out and roast some piglet immediately, it could be okay) but not now. I would rather buy a lot of beef (not more expensive than the piglet and full meat!) and a bunch of shrimps with that money… And a few more packs of salmon. But I am fine with my actual plan. I want a pack of nice bacon though. I need to check out some reviews…

(Michael) #118

I am feeling good! Feeling about the same as Keto but now without the abnormal BMs, so good. My only concern has been getting all my vitamins and minerals without the need to eat too much protein which raises my blood glucose. I have a HARD time eating enough calories and still getting under 3g of protein per kg body weight. I would like to be under 2, but that would only be 1700 calories at 80% fat. I get diarrhea over about 75% fat and I like to eat 3000+ calories.

The numbers just cannot add up for me unless I eat less, eat tons of fat and get diarrhea , or run with elevated blood sugars and a protein intake twice what is recommended.

This is why I am testing, with a few small non carnivore I think I can get the diet that works in all ways, depending on my reaction to the other foods. I have a journal/spreadsheet that analyzes my daily foods for all calories, vitamins and minerals. I have a meal plan that does give me everything,……if I include sunflower seeds or peanuts on my diet. Will test those over Xmas and see if they are options.

(Michael) #119

First meal today, 1 oz beef liver, 5 oz beef heart, half the first chamber of sheep stomach (3oz?), half of a lung from a sheep (4 oz) and bone marrow as well (2 oz)

(Edith) #120

Thanks for the update.

That’s tough, you just can’t get everything right that way :frowning:
I feel so lucky as my energy need is smaller but if I eat some more, I still have no problems, no matter if I eat high protein or high fat. I even handle the occasional 80% fat but if my energy need would be way higher or I couldn’t handle my occasional 4g/kg protein for LBM, I should have learned to eat fattier and it’s tougher on carnivore I think. In the beginning I couldn’t handle even my usual amount of fat without the vegetables I was used to. It went away but very high-fat still doesn’t feel right (slight nausea is serious enough to me). I guess most people are like this, they just can’t eat super fatty. Maybe some can get used to a very fatty woe? Probably, while others not so much.

Good luck to find what suits you best!