Rotisserie chicken salad and Chicken broth

(Richard Morris) #1

This is one of the simplest keto meal I’ve seen, cheapest too. The average plate cost is $-$2 per plate.

What you will need is a rotisserie Chook … OK OK @carl Chicken, some celery, some mayonnaise. That’s for the salad, and we serve it in some baby cos leaves … but those are optional.

One small chook will make 4 meals easily, these medium ones from CostCo can make 6.

Pull off the drumsticks and wings, and reserve them as appetizers

Pull the flesh off the carcass making sure not to get all the bones and put those in an instant pot.

Using a cleaver chop the meat into a rough 1/4" dice.

Cut the leaves and white root end off the celery and put that in the instant pot with the bones and grisly bits. Slice the celery length ways then across to make a small dice (1/8")

Add diced Celery to the diced Chicken

Add mayo one spoon at a time stirring in between until the mixture has the right consistency.

Serve in a lettuce leaf.

Meanwhile add any old vegetables to your instant pot, half an onion that’s been in the fridge for a week, some herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme) some random chillipeppers from the bottom of the fridge. Add a couple of cups of water and pressure cook for 60 mins. Open and taste it, season as needed and put it on for another 60 mins and strain it through a sieve into a bowl for fresh chicken stock.

To make cream of chicken soup, reduce it further by 50% in a pot on the stove, take it off the heat and stir in little cream.

BTW: While writing up this recipe I also found this one for BBQ chicken salad that looks pretty good too BBQ Chicken Salad

What did you Keto today?
(Sheri Knauer) #2

Are you chopping the skin from the breast as well for the chicken salad?

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #3

It’s amazing how we forget the things we made pre-keto. I used to make chicken salad all the time, and will now add it to the keto meal choices :yum:

(Richard Morris) #4

I love the skin, and it’s good to have some skin with muscle meat - they compliment each others amino acid palettes. Muscle meat is high in methionine and skin in glycine.

Glycine prevents methionine build-up and toxicity that can happen in people who have an all muscle meat diet. Connective tissue like skin is high in glycine.

But if you don’t like to eat skin, throw it in the instant pot and cook it under pressure for 2 hours and the collagen will start to turn into gelatin.

(Sheri Knauer) #5

Thank you! It came out great! I also added to mine some fresh chives and tarragon from my garden and then put in it some of that everything bagel spice from Trader Joes. I never before ever thought to chop the chicken skin right along with the meat. It adds so much more flavor and moisture. I used to have to use so much mayonnaise in my chicken salad and it would still be dry going down. Best chicken salad ever! Im going to make some bacon chips later to eat along with it in a piece of romaine lettuce!

Variation on Rotisserie chicken salad and Chicken broth
(Christa Simmons) #6

I like to add a bit of pickle relish, chives Worcestershire sauce, salt, and dash of hot sauce to mine as well…Yummy!!!

(Jason Leonard) #7

Cool, I just did this the other weekend! I just heard this episode as I catch up to real-time. I didn’t try making a cream of chicken soup with the broth though, I need to try that next…
Any suggestions as to how much cream to use? Making a cream soup will be new for me…