Red Meat causes Diabetes say Harvard

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #42

I think this is the most forthright I’ve seen Zoë in demolishing a paper. Wow!

If pizza is included in the definition of red meat because there might be pepperoni on it, then the study is definitely not worth paying attention to.

I also loved the quotation from Peter Cleave.

(Alec) #43

Issue 2: meaning they lied.
Issue 9: meaning they knew their data was just total garbage, but they still published and it still got past peer review. Unreal.

:laughing: deceptive misrepresentation gauge

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #45

So glad I bought this story to light. Really enjoyed Zoe’s put down. Will it get noticed? I hope so, was worth it if only for our benefit.

(Joey) #46

Shoe size supposedly correlates with other anatomical dimensions, at least in males. Perhaps other associations have been shown to promote better reading skills?

Let’s pre-select a pronoun and get the Harvard wizards on this, pronto.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #47

So are you saying that Walter Willet and Frank Hu are overcompensating? Do they drive gigantic pickup trucks?

(Joey) #48

It’s probably best that I say little else - and let the science speak for itself.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #49

Wot ezactly does you meen bi this? Mi Shoos are nise and pittite

(Geoffrey) #50

Easy now buddy, remember, there’s a Texan on board. We’re kinda famous for big trucks. Everything is bigger in Texas…including our egos. :sunglasses:

(Rossi Luo) #51

As I can see that, most of the new “studies” just wander around the existing “scientific” conclusions to consolidate the existing conclusions even if these authors know that these conclusions have evident flaws.
I think that’s because most of the authors are cowards with no courage to challenge the existing science rumored for tens of years, or they just don’t care about if the “science” is true or false, they only care about if or not their studies can be published and get their money and promotions.
That’s why such trashes emerge again and again and again to mislead lots of people who believe the “science”

(Brian) #52

That is one of the things that worries me the most about these garbage studies. “Peer reviews” seem to add validity to the nonsense. Bob agrees with Mark who agrees with Steve who agrees with Fred… “the sky is green the grass is blue”, so it must be so. (I wish it were that benign.)

(Brian) #53

Perhaps… But with a heavy dose of prostitution involved. They’ll sell their credentials and massage whatever data sets available that they can to provide the “outcome” someone is willing to pay for. Just consider the kinds of outcomes unkle Billy (Gates) wants. He has the $ to make these bought and paid for “scientists” talk like a ventriloquist’s dummy… and he has rich friends who are just as sick in the head. Meanwhile they eat their steaks and expect us to eat bugs and love 'em.

(KM) #54

Perhaps in the end it comes down to ego and greed. When your identity and your income are both wrapped up in a certain “truth”, it’s Much more pleasant to find corroborating evidence than conflicting facts.

(Bob M) #55

I find there to be quite a bit of anti-red meat bias among everyone. Have a friend who lost weight, and one of the things he did was quit eating red meat (among many other things). A colleague just remarked that he didn’t eat red meat and implied that he’d have less chance of getting cancer.

I didn’t have the heart to tell them that I prioritize red meat.

(Chuck) #56

Being the type of person I am, I would have told him that eating red meat is how I have managed to free myself of all prescription medications

(Geoffrey) #57

Garbage in, garbage out fellas.
We’ve been lied to in order to fit someone’s agenda for a very long time and it’s more prevalent today that ever and even more transparent but most are happy to let someone else do there thinking for them.
I see a correlation between the sheep I raise and people I encounter.

(KM) #58

Yes, it’s exhausting! I’ve pretty much stopped telling anyone anything about my diet. The more plant based fact and propaganda mingle into a veritable hurricane of momentum, the more tiring and uncomfortable it gets to drag out boring old facts no one wants to hear. I just sit and gloat over my ribeyes in private now. :rofl:

I am ready to eat some tasty and cheap bugs, they are carnivore and everything :slight_smile:
Deitary guides want me to eat way, way worse. Like carby, low-fat stuff. Fat chance.

It’s bad if he thinks red meat is bad or fattening or whatever but just quitting it and losing fat is fine, each to their own :slight_smile: There are no single ways to lose fat. I need to avoid fatty meat as much as I comfortably can (and it’s not so bad at this point of my life) to have any chances at fat-loss. It doesn’t mean any bad regarding fatty meat but I personally overeat if I let it into my life as much as I wish (it’s fine, I learned to enjoy my leaner meat. and learned how to cook it when I am bored of it in the simplest forms where fatty meat works).
My lean meat is red meat (almost nothing satiates me as much as leanish red meat. gluten does, it’s even better than meat at it as far as I can tell from my few experiments but I wouldn’t like to depend on it much. I prefer some good, nutritious protein source that worked for many people even in big amounts) but that’s not the point :wink: My point is that we may need very different things to be able to lose fat without suffering. (Once I heard about someone who needed a lot of fruit to be able to get satiated. Sometimes wonder if it’s true, it sounds so crazy… But I know that satiation is all over the place, there are no rules about it, just tips, chances.)

(Brian) #60

Much truth to that. And I’ve also discovered that our needs can change over time as our health changes.

Should you become a lean person yourself, you may discover that you’ll want / need more fat on the meat you eat. It’s not wrong if you do, it’s not wrong if you don’t. It’s just what works well for you in the context of where you are right now. (Don’t know if I said that quite right, hopefully you get what I mean.)

Honestly, as I’ve come to a point where I’m pretty happy with my weight and pretty happy with my health, I pay very little attention to “how much” of anything I consume other than perhaps some mental notes on how I feel from day to day and whether that might related to how I ate over the past day or two. It’s been around 7 years now since I went radical and started keto. I was told I was gonna kill myself. Nope. Dropped 100 pounds and have been enjoying pretty good health. I can’t say I’d even be on this side of the sod had I not make a change. Thankful to still be here. :slight_smile:

Probably leaning way more meat heavy than veg heavy these days, I feel better here. Still not all the way to carnivore most days but come pretty close sometimes by accident.

Something that’s also happened to me over time has been that I’ve become less critical of others’ dietary choices. Just as I was free to change what I eat, they are just as free. I might not always agree with their choices but those choices are not mine to make for them.

I do want a lot of fat, I had to train myself to eat WAY leaner than ever in my life but carnivore helped. And I never will need my lot of fat :frowning: . I will need even less than now as a slim person though I may get some muscle, my activity probably won’t be much better…

But of course, as time passes and we and the our circumstances change, our ideal diet mat change somewhat too. If not the diet itself, the ratios, amounts…

I never paid any attention to how much I ate before I went low-carb and I probably won’t need much after I slim down but now (in this 20+ years I need to lose some fat, not even a huge amount), I feel I have to. Seems in vain but nope, I work on my overeating and that’s useful. I learn things about myself and find stricter diets with benefits as well. Fat-loss isn’t everything, thankfully, I would be more disappointed now if it was.