Red Meat causes Diabetes say Harvard

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #1

Harvard via The Guardian

(Allie) #2

Where’s the actual study though?

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #3

I’d like to know. No link from the Guardian. Though I did find something we all know about.

Harvard Sugar Secret

(Allie) #4

Looks like it wasn’t even their study, suspicious already…

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #5

Oooo well done, I couldn’t find who funded that study… but I have my suspicions

(Harriet) #7

I found the full article, Allie. https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/article/44/28/2626/7188739

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

I found the review. Looking over the studies they reviewed, which were apparently all epidemiological, the absolute risks appear not to have been reported, and the hazard ratios most of them reported were close to 1.0. Though there were a few studies with hazard ratios of 2 or 3.

However, as the authors point out, the studies reviewed used food frequency questionnaires to gather their dietary data, and it has been demonstrated the they are extremely unreliable. (Also, I remember one study in which pizza was considered “meat” because it had some pepperoni on it.)

(Harriet) #9

I’ve been running across similar references (just started reading The Big Fat Surprise). Like researchers lumping margarine in with butter because they look alike! No wonder they thought results obtained from male subjects applied equally well to women.

(Allie) #10

Meta-analysis of epidemiological studies, relying on those questioned to accurately remember how many times a week / month / year they ate a particular food over however many weeks / months / years and used to produce nutritional guidelines for the masses - what could possibly go wrong… ? :roll_eyes:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

We’re finding out! :scream:

:bacon::bacon::bacon:

(Chuck) #12

There are so much BS out there the only truth is what works best for the individual. I will continue the eat my red meat with out the bun. Harvard the real problem is the bun

(Allie) #13

Absolutely this Chuck.

(Bob M) #14

Darn, you beat me to it. Study:

https://ajcn.nutrition.org/article/S0002-9165(23)66119-2/fulltext

It’s from Harvard’s School of Crap-idemiology, and based on FFQs. Complete trash.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #15

Yep, so you order a burger in a bun with fries… and the problem is the beef. So it’s the beef that contains all the sugars. You guys have been misleading me!

(Doug) #16

Exactly, Bob. I admit it - I’m prejudiced - there have been so many just plain stupid things from ‘Harvard Medical,’ etc., that I instantly roll my eyes and wonder, “Oh good grief, what now…?”

The once-proud name with enormous cachet…

(KM) #17

Yes, and you squirt sugared ketchup and barbecue sauce all over it and top it with a piece of “cheese” that’s basically a slice of soybean oil. And make sure you supersize the coke that’s going with it. But it’s definitely the meat, definitely.

(Geoffrey) #18

Yeah my bovine excrement meter is pegged out.

I just come here reading all your comments, I have scratchings in the place of popcorn that I never liked… :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

Try to remember, however, that doctors David Ludwig and Chris Palmer are also at Harvard. They teach in the medical school, however, not the School of Public Health, so that may make a difference.

(Joey) #21

“The authors urge all adults to reduce their red meat intake as a way to protect health.”

Silver lining: This may help reduce the grocery price of red meat for those of us who know better. :cut_of_meat: