Recommendations for Electrolyte Pills

(Failed) #1

When fasting, I’ve tried eating Himalayan salt, and I just simply can’t choke it down. I want to buy some electrolyte pills from Amazon, but there are too many choices. Can anyone please recommend what they use and have had good results with?

How many do you take per day? Any other advice you’d like to share would be most welcome.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Maybe you’re just trying to consume too much too concentrated? I mix 5 grams of my own electrolyte mix in 1 liter of water. It is very pleasant to drink. Tastes only slightly salty, not even in the same ball park as sea water. One could probably double the amount of salt without making a liter mix unpalatable.

I guess I should mention that I drink that liter over the course of the day, not all at once.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #3

One could indeed; it is more or less what I do. It results in about the saltiness of bouillon, which is 1 gram per 100 ml. Drinking it hot makes it a lot easier for me to consume the salt I need.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #4

@DeeCS: I do not want to use pills when fasting. Instead I bought powdered magnesiumcitrate and sea salt and make a solution.

I have two nalgene bottles (nalgene bottles can endure hot water). In each bottle I mix:

• 1 gram magnesiumcitrate powder
  • 4 gram sea salt
  • 400 ml hot water

The magnesiumcitrate powder takes a while and some shaking to dissolve. Be careful to close the lid well before shaking, otherwise hot water comes out forcefully and one might get burned.

During the day I reheat portions of it and I drink it like tea. If I go outdoors I just bring one of the bottles and drink it cold. After one bottle is finished, I prepare a third bottle without the magnesiumcitrate powder. This way my total daily electrolyte consumption is:

• 12 gram sea salt (4800 mg sodium)
  • 2 gram magnesiumcitrate powder (280 mg magnesium)

The magnesium content is higher than in Brenda’s #KetoAid, which you might want to check out also:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #6

Careful with the magnesium citrate. When your body reaches it’s limit, you could have loose stool.
On that note, it’s great if your bowels are too slow.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #7

Thanks for this extra information.
In my case they are a too slow, but improving. I suspect it will be known when to diminish its dose.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #8

Yes absolutely

I was also overwhelmed with all the choices. I considered reviews, price, quantity, and the balance of minerals and decided on these. I haven’t tried them while fasting yet but thought I’d share what I ended up purchasing since you’re shopping.

More power to you folks who are making your own mix! I’m not quite there yet. Drinking “salt water” still takes me back to an experience as a kid when an ocean wave tumbled me like a clothes dryer. I was spitting up ocean water for hours. :slight_smile: Pills for me!

(Margie) #10

:wink:

(Margie) #11

:blush::wink:

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #12

@TimeForMe you are kind to post the pills you found. After all that was what @DeeCS asked for.

The pills might help you when not fasting and using enough salt in your food. But when doing an extended fast, one needs about 5000 mg sodium. That would be 45 of these pills per day … :grin:

Yeah, that’s a lot of pills. Thanks for the heads up!

I wish there were a pill option for those of us looking for one, though now I do see some pills that have more sodium per pill. Only been at this 7 weeks so just trying to figure it out. Hence, my disclaimer that I hadn’t tried them for fasting.

(Susan) #14

@TimeForMe

I cannot drink water with salt in it, and knew I had to get the salt into me, so I put a teaspoon of the Pink Himalyan on my tongue and then wash it down with a bunch of water. I do this twice a day and more when Fasting. If I have been out and feel I am more dehydrated then I will do it more on those days. It is yucky, but I can do it pretty easily now, I don’t like it but I can do it. It is over quickly this way, I get it in me and it helps.

I am glad that you found the pills, and I hope that they work for you. I just figured I am taking enough supplements already and was trying to do things as economically at the same time.

(Scott Diamond) #15

(Scott Diamond) #16

Cheap made in USA and you can carry with you.of need be and travel.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #17

I’ll tell you what I think is even better (for my straight up dirty keto self :wink:) is Gatorade Zero.
Tastes great, and addresses both electrolytes and hydration at the same time :slightly_smiling_face:

Getting ready to grab one from the fridge right now :slightly_smiling_face:

They have been 3 (28oz) for $4 at Seven11 :slightly_smiling_face: I always bring in my insulated tumbler, and get free ice, and I’m good for many hours :slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t be suckered my marketing. Magnesium citrate ‘can be’ cheap too. Get you a big bottle of it and wash down a couple capsules with some Gatorade Zero :wink:

PA, can’t believe I’m feeling so honery 30 hours into a fast :slightly_smiling_face: lol