Questions about keto and fats

(Jessica Greening) #1

So im newer to the keto diet (one week in and loving it) bit I do have a few questions. I know that fats are the basis of this but does this mean I should be eating more fatty meats? Like bacon for example, should I be getting the fatty cuts of bacon or should I be focusing on getting my fats from somewhere else? My husband is concerned with the high cholesterol from eating so much fatty bacon. Also should I be counting calories as well or just worry about getting the proper amount of macros for now?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #2

Hi! Animal cholesterol will not cause high cholesterol in you.
Yes on the fats.
Eat fatty meats.
Eat all the bacon.
Fat to satiety.
Add fats where you’d like to.
Coconut oil, olive oil, butter.

Counting calories is archaic.

eat low carb, adequate protein and fat to satiety.

What are your goals? Weight loss, athletic performance? Health reasons?

(Jessica Greening) #3

We are working on weight loss and an overall healthier lifestyle. It’s been quite a change for us. We were the type of people who ate a bowl of sugary cereal in the morning, hit the vending machine at work for lunch, and ran through a drive through for dinner every day. I really want this to work but I’m afraid we are doing it wrong.

(Tovan Nhsh) #4

I started from the same place & had the same questions & concerns in the beginning. Don’t sweat the mistakes. You’ll make plenty & learn from each one.

You have a leg-up on me though in finding this forum early on. It is an excellent resource full of really cool people :slight_smile:

(KetoCowboy) #5

Very true. I was keto for months before I found this forum. There was much boneheadedness in those early months that I could have avoided had I found this community to just 1 week into my journey. You’re already ahead of me.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #6

Ooooo
a cowboy :heart:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #7

@GreenLady
Have you perused this yet?
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/newbies/getting-started

(Rachel) #8

What is your experience or thoughts about Fat Fasting?

(Jessica Greening) #9

I’ve been spending hours on here. I don’t know if I would be able to do this without it. Everyone is so amazing I’ve learned a lot already.

(Jessica Greening) #10

I’ve read about fasting, but I don’t think I’m quite there yet. We have noticed that we are eating less and are hungry less. My husband was always one of those have to eat at least 3 times a day kinda people but now I see him skipping lunch every once in a while because he’s simply not hungry.

(Carpe salata!) #11

“like bacon for example?”

In a word - yes. When you eat sugar, you get hungry. When you eat fat you get full.

Obey the bacon :bacon:

(333c7c9095896ec65859) #12

It’s definately a learning curve. In the beginning, it’s important to make sure you keep your carbs below 20 grams, your protein intake adequate but not generous, and then eat enough fat so that you’re not hungry.

Once you’re fat adapted (burning fat for energy) then you can assess how much fat your diet needs to provide and how much you should be pulling from your own fat stores.

If you haven’t already looked at the DietDoctor site, definately check it out - it’s one of the best web sites available.

You sound like you’re doing great already!

:cherry_blossom: Carolyn