Question re peanut butter

(bulkbiker) #1

Been looking to buy some keto friendly peanut butter here in the UK but they all seem to have palm oil in them. When making your own can you just use melted butter/coconut oil as the oil part? Would this work? I might try it anyway but wondered if anyone making their own has any idea of quantities to use.
Many thanks

(James storie) #2

Technically, I don’t believe any added oil is necessary when you make your own. I’ve made almond butter before and the only ingredient was raw almonds. Just process until butter forms. It will go through stages and you’ll have to scrap the sides down. It takes up to 10 mins or maybe more depending on the strength of your food processor. Be careful with peanuts though, they are technically legumes and can cause inflammation.

(bulkbiker) #3

Thanks for that… I did know about peanuts but fancied some PB fat bombs for a treat after a fast… will give it a go… I’m thinking the real butter would be nice anyway tho…

(Arlene) #4

James is correct; you don’t need to add any oil to make peanut butter. In fact, peanuts have tons of oil in them. Use your food processor and the chopper blade. Process them till you get the consistency you like.

I think Whole Earth do one that is just peanuts? The make I get here is called Terrasana and that is just 100% peanuts.

(bulkbiker) #6

Looking on the supermarket website they seem to be about 95-97% peanut with added palm oil even the organic no added stuff from whole earth… I was a bit disappointed I must say… so will try to do my own without anything added and let you guys know… Might also try some with some melted butter too because what isn’t better with some butter added…!!
Thanks for the advice too
M

Bummer. I just assumed the bio ones would be like mine. Totally make your own. I have heard that coconut oil mixed in is to die for - so much that I was going to mix some in to taste!

(bulkbiker) #8

OK will try an experiment with coconut oil and melted butter and au naturel…just need to finish this fast and get to the shops…!

Oh man that sounds so good. The only thing you will maybe have to do is warm it to soften it but that’s no biggy and might stop you eating the whole jar at once :wink:

(bulkbiker) #10

That is my fear… that I just taste test until its all gone…!
You’d better get over here asap to help out @Daisy

This is why I do not buy it regularly! Spoon. Jar. Face. Having said that, I at least find it hard to eat much each day because it is so rich and ‘watering’ it down with fat would make it even richer so win win.

I will be over towards end of May briefly BTW so maybe hook up then. My step dad is sick but a quick coffee would be great. I would love to meet you.

(bulkbiker) #12

Sorry to heat about your step dad but yes lets try and meet up then… we’re around most of the time… the joys of being retired…

(bulkbiker) #13

And when you are over you should try this stuff if you haven’t already.
http://www.oppoicecream.co.uk/flavours/
just had the hoc and hazelnut… yummmmmmmmm

OMG Salted Caramel - gonna have to find some. Where can you purchase in Worthing? I need the list!

Waitrose I bet? I will have to send mum out to get me some!

(bulkbiker) #15

Waitrose usually has it… I just tried the choc hazelnut (new flavour) OMG amazeballs…

I will be all over that!

(Allie) #17

I use this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A79CJNA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(bulkbiker) #18

Ok they look pretty much like what I was looking for… but have just bought a big bag of peanuts so will get out the blender tomorrow and experiment… tomorrow because I’m fasting today and don’t want to be tempted…

(Allie) #19

I’ve made my own before but almost killed my blender doing it as the poor thing just wasn’t powerful enough.

(bulkbiker) #20

Mine’s quite old so will see if it survives…! When you see smoke rising you’ll know it’ will have had enough.