Pushups and Squats Challenge

(Pat) #61

WOW-lots of options- I might start doing them throughout the day at work once I’m sure I’m not going to hurt myself. Thanks for the info!

(Brandan E. Lloyd) #62

Finished week 5, day 3 of the 100 pushup program.

For clarity this is based on the “Just 6 Weeks” iPhone app that I am using. Today’s reps were 49, 39, 36, 34, 35.

I have already decides, based on the previous days this week, that I will repeat this week again next week. My form wasn’t as good as I wanted it to be and I rushed through the high-rep sets. Here’s to the hope that next week is smoother.

Congratulations to everyone. If we push enough maybe we can move the earth a bit :wink:

Ok, Yesterday I got 38 total.
set one 8
set two 10
set three 10
set four 10

Year Total Pushups: 65

(What The Fast?!) #64

Ahh! Week 2 Day 1, this is the first time I had to break up a group. It was 14/14/10/10/15 - I had to break up the last 15. No idea how I’ll get to those high rep sets in the coming weeks without moving to my knees.

Just do what you can, when you can. I am not following a program. I just do my through out the work day every couple of hours.

(Brandan E. Lloyd) #66

I have the same problem with my pushups. I just repeat weeks until I am happy with the number and quality of reps that I am getting. I try to take the long view, I am in no rush. I have also had success for the past few years doing the same thing that James13 is doing. It is a good way to build a base.

(What The Fast?!) #67

Do you go chest to floor? I haven’t been, I just go as far as possible (a 90 degree bend at elbows)…I thought it was a mobility thing but I just realized that if I switch to my knees I can go all the way down. So…debating on switching to my knees and going all the way to the floor each time.

(Brandan E. Lloyd) #68

I am attempting to follow the Army Physical Fitness Test standards. This means that I try to go to 90 degree bend at the elbow (maybe a little below 90). I find that if I go down to my chest hitting the floor. I tend to start to bounce my chest off the ground a little in later reps and I kind of feel like I am cheating myself.

Doing pushups from your knees is a perfectly acceptable exercise alternative. I think that if you can do that with better form in your reps then it is a great tool.

(What The Fast?!) #69

I guess the question is what the best form is. If 90 degrees is good, then I can stay on my toes. If I need to go to the floor, I’d have to do knees.

Maybe I’ll do the program twice, once each different way. :slight_smile:

(Pat) #70

PUSHUPS!
4 sets of 12 starting at 4AM and finishing a minute ago at 8PM.
I’m surprised how many more I can do that way without injuring my rotator cuff (a genuine concern).

I aim for nose-to-floor. If your form is good, your nose should touch before anything else. Well, I guess it depends on belly or breast measurements, but if you’re relatively lean (and less than a DD) that’s a good goal for form because those last few inches are tough. I just started using push up handles and am aiming for nose-to-floor with those as well - oof.

Update, I failed to do my squats on Saturday and my pushup yesterday.
The good news I am going to do both today.
13 pushups so far.

Secrets for doing a full push up? I can’t seem to allow myself to go lower, I try and only lower myself a few cm the seem to think I can’t go lower. I started out using the counter to do “wall push ups” and was able to get my chest down to the counter (which is higher than a normal counter generally is because I am tall). I think this may be mental but checking out all physical possibilities of what I may be doing wrong. Should I keep doing counter push ups for a few more weeks? I can easily do 25 and could do more but it seems pointless, like if I can do 25 I got this and should be able to move on.

You’ve tried doing them from the knees just to work specifically on your range of motion? If not, that’s what I would suggest. And going slowly to really make sure that everything is staying still except for the arms. It’s almost like you’re in a (modified) plank and just hinging from the contact point of the knees and the floor.

Convict Conditioning is amazing to get a good progression for push ups and other bodyweight exercises, but for that one needs more patience than I have :slight_smile: !

Sadly, yes from the knees. I’ll look into convict conditioning.

(Adam Kirby) #76

Put a pillow under your head so that you remove the fear of faceplanting. Then lower yourself as slowly as possible. If you can’t hold the move and drop to the floor it’s ok, you won’t get hurt.

(Brandan E. Lloyd) #77

Another possible alternative would be to work on negatives (put yourself into pushup form, basically a plank and lower yourself as slow as possible then get back up and do it again). I am working on these for pull-ups where I am incredibly challenged.

(Pat) #78

Not “failed”- just saving them for later!:blush:

Today, I got 23 total.
set one 13
set two 10

Year Total Pushups: 88

(Brandan E. Lloyd) #80

I restarted week 5 of the 100 pushup program because I didn’t feel like my form was great last week. I did day 1 of this week and I can already feel that I will probably have to repeat again next week.

Today’s reps were 32, 36, 39, 32, 25