Pushups and Squats Challenge

I am going to start doing pushups and squats at work and home.
My plan is to do pushups Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I will do squats Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays. My goal is to see how many I can do of each by the end of the year.
I am by no means in shape. I am going to start with 5 pushups and between 10-20 squats.
I will try to increase the numbers as much as my body will let me do. I am doing this because I don’t have time for the gym, but I can take 5 minutes here and there during the day.
I am going to start on Monday the 12th of February. If anybody wants to join in let me know.

(Stan Brooks) #2

Try Hindu Squats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw2OT_-M8ek

Ric Flair would do a couple thousand a day back when he was working.

(Jack Brien) #3

Have a look at “Convict Conditioning” James and add in the other exercises for a more balanced regime. Nothing wrong with push ups and squats, but chin ups and bridges are great too.

I am 270 plus
Chin ups are going to be down the road.

(Chris) #5

I think it’s best to start early, do these:

Seriously, best way to get accustomed to it, and when you lose the weight it’ll be a piece of cake to get into full pull-ups. I say it’s mandatory, your lats are a far larger muscle than your pecs.

I will try and do some.
Thanks

(Chris) #7

No worries! You’ll get there. Keep your chin up and your goal front-and-center in your mind.

(Paula Green) #8

Great challenge!

If you want to keep going until the end of the year then I think it is best to start easy with the amount you are doing. Much better to do something small everyday than stretch yourself and give up after a few weeks.

Plenty of time to add in other exercises when you have a adopted a strong daily habit :slight_smile:

I’m a 51 yr old normal weight female and a few years ago I decided I wanted to be able to do chin up and pull ups - it took me a whole year to get there - but I’m so glad I did - I think it’s a really cool thing to be able to do. Funnily enough I found that strength was only half the battle. Believing I could do it was the other half! But now that I can do them, even if I haven’t done one for weeks I can still bash a few out, because I believe/know that I can.

Good luck!!

Thanks

(Duncan Kerridge) #10

I started this programme this week:

http://hundredpushups.com/week1.html

I like the plan, but I am going to space the exercise out every hour or two during the work day.
Going to Start slow and make a habit out of it like Paula suggested

(Jack Brien) #12

If you have a look at the Convict Conditioning stuff (it’s a book, but Facebook group and loads of vids on YouTube too), it’s full of progressions from extremely easy stuff for absolute beginners and rehab through to generally acknowledged as impossible. You will find progressions you can do and the book is written in a fun way.

(Tovan Nhsh) #13

I’m in! I’ve been thinking of starting the same routine for the same reasons. If nothing else having a “partner/s” will help accountability.

I will Check out the Youtube videos, I don’t have a facebook.

Sounds good, I plan on starting this Monday.

(TJ Borden) #16

I used to do 16oz curls most evenings, but I had to give that up when I started keto.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #17

Neat! I’m going to try these.

I hope we can get a couple more people to do this challenge.

(Brandan E. Lloyd) #19

I have done this program a few times over the years. It has always been very effective for me. I am currently on Week 4 I am enjoying it quite a bit. I typically have to repeat the later weeks a few times to finish them with good form on all the reps but I think concentrating on form is better than just hitting raw numbers.

I am using the “Just 6 Weeks” app from the iPhone app store. I cannot seem to find a way to view the whole program so I can’t tell how closely it matches the hundredpushups program but it is working and I appreciate the tracking and notifications to remind me to do my sets.

(Brandan E. Lloyd) #20

Don’t be discouraged by lack of progress. I started my program with 5 sets of 10 pushups about 5 - 10 minutes apart and slowly increased until I hit my goal. Consistency and patience is the key.

I am currently starting pull-ups and I can only to 2 as my max but I feel like I really need to correct the imbalance in my strength. I wish that I had done them along with push-ups from the beginning.

Good luck!