Protein while on IF

I am between 150-160 LBM, and I am currently 283 pounds.

If the formula is to be trusted, 70 kg (155 pounds), would warrant between 35-42 grams a protein (sed. lifestyle protein = 0.5-0.6 LBM).

How in the hell am I to eat ~38 grams of protein, 20 grams of carbs (~232 calories), and something near ~1700 calories of fat? Almost everything has protein in it unless I eat pure butter or coconut oil. Even eating a salad with very fatty dressing has protein from the greens.

I just don’t see how it is possible. Anyone have any advice?

I’d ignore the protein from the greens. Too insignificant to worry about.

What do you mean by Intermittent Fasting for purposes of this question? 16/8? 20/4? 23/1?

The answer to that will help us give you ideas on how to get in your numbers/foods within that window.

Right now I’m doing somewhere around 23-1 or 22-2 depending on when I’m hungry.

Having two cups of something like lettuce, kale, and spinach is something like 2-3 grams of protein which ends up being close to 10% of my daily intake.

I’m confused: do you mean 2-3g of CARBS or PROTEIN from the salad greens?

(Running out the door, so I don’t have time for a lengthy reply.)

Right now, I think you’re overthinking your protein levels (especially when thinking about salad greens). Fat is a target, not a goal. Eat fat to satiety, not to some macro-based number…

Be back on later! Hopefully others can chime in, too.

I mean protein. per cup kale has 2.9 grams, lettuce has 0.5 grams, and chard has 0.6 grams. In even ratios, 2 cups of all would be 2.6 grams of protein. But really talking about the salad was just a side point that seems to have derailed my question.

Any kind of meat has lots of protein in it, and 38 grams doesn’t go a long way. Even going with something like bacon, 10 strips leaves 8 grams of protein left over for everything else, and even worse for 27/73 beef, or pork, and chicken just out. My question is more how to you all manage to fit a full day’s intake in without going over such a small protein limit?

(Sonia A.) #6

If your lean body mass is 70 kg, you can eat 70 g of protein (1g of protein per kg of lbm). You won’t have a problem with the protein in your greens.

What about the formulas on this site such as:

Sedentary (no physical activity): LBM x 0.5

Light activity (20-30 minutes of exercise 2-3 times/week): LBM x 0.6

Active (30-60 minutes 3-5 times a week): LBM x 0.7

Very active (more than 1 hour 5-7 times/week): LBM x 0.8-1.0

Training athlete (multiple workouts of more than 1 hour) : LBM xx 1.0-1.5

(Sonia A.) #8

It’s approximately the same as the one I’ve learned on the 2ketodudes podcast.

Your lbm is 155, so 155 x 0,5 = 77.5

Ahh so you are going from pounds directly to grams of protein. I thought it was kg’s to grams of protein. That would give a ton more wiggle room. Really wish the formulas I found said something about that lol!

Thanks

(Todd Allen) #10

That is a guideline for a level of protein to sustain muscle mass during an extended aggressive very low calorie diet to lose weight fast. A long term weight sustaining diet should probably have double that level of protein and if you are trying to gain muscle and/or weight you might want even more.

I’ve been doing an aggressive weight loss phase for 3 weeks which I hope to sustain for several more weeks. I’ve been averaging a little less than 30 g protein per day in part because I’m fully fasted a couple days per week and usually eat a single meal the other days.

Ok so if I’m reading your post right, your saying the ~38 grams of protein would be the bare minimum, and going somewhere near 70-75 grams of protein is for normal non-crazy people? :slight_smile:

Yes! I’m glad others helped out while I was away. You’re on the right track now. :grinning:

I didn’t mean to derail you on the protein/greens issue. It just seemed to be something that was causing some difficulty or anxiety when, if you ask everyone here, I don’t think anyone sweats about or measures the protein in their greens. It’s just not something that we think about on keto very much, if at all.

But, you’re now well on your way!

(Todd Allen) #13

Yes, that would be a rough minimum other then when fasting to promote autophagy and other related effects. Then 0 g protein or as close as you can get is likely ideal, though you’ll likely lose some muscle. Many see a bit of muscle loss from a limited duration fast as an acceptable short term trade off for the other potential benefits.

(Carpe salata!) #14

A few thoughts…
It’s LBM in kg x the factor of 1 or less.
‘Protein per cup of kale’ is a problem because how much did you squish the kale into that cup. Best to find per oz or per 100g.
When I eat kale, I sautée it in butter or lard and add some cream. If I need more fats :slight_smile:

(Mark) #15

Dr. Ron Rosedale recommends .75 gms protein per KG LBM, which would be 52 grams/day.

Do you happen to have a link to anything about that? Not that I don’t believe you, I would just like to read into more of the background and science behind it.

(Mark) #17

Excellent video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv-M-5-s9B0

Awesome, Thanks much!

(Mark) #19

Sure! You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

(VLC.MD) #20

Love his simple slides.