Protein Raising Glucose

(Chris) #1

It’s not pubmed or anything but here’s more research happening on this hot topic!

EDIT:

Article:

If T2D or highly insulin resistant this probably does not apply-- you need more work to get to this point I would assume, if possible.

Question about Protein
(VLC.MD) #2

Protein gets converted to glucose.
Raising insulin and glucose.

Especially for insulin resistant people.

Try it

Take a glucose reading.
Eat 100g whey protein in a smoothie.
Take your glucose reading 2 hrs later

(Justin Jordan) #3

Well, if you can find one that’s carb free - most of the time you’d be getting 10 - 12 grams of carbs with the whey mixes.

Even then, whey is for sure insulinogenic, so blood glucose changes even from pure whey might not be indicative of it being turned to glucose. It could be your body releasing stored glucose in response to the insulin.

I actually have some isopure whey that’s allegedly zero carb, so I can actually test this.

It doesn’t have to be a protein supplement. It can be real food, like a steak.

(Michael Kovacs) #5

I’m one who sees a glucose response to protein 2,3 and 4 hours after be eating. I can tolerate 25-30 grams of protein at one sitting twice a day. If I go over that amount my 2,3 and 4 hour glucose will rise into the high 90s. If I only eat protein, it gets even worse. Having my protein with fat and vegetables slows down the digestion of protein. My LBM is 130lbs so 60g is good enough for me.

(Erin Macfarland ) #6

For those who are not IR or have other metabolic disorders, eating only foods that are animal based can be a great way to experience satiety and maintain lean body mass. Eating fatty meat, eggs, maybe some cheese ad libitum does not lead the body to turn “excess” protein into sugar in a healthy individual. I find eating this way gives me superior energy, mental clarity, and most amazingly, i don’t experience the kinds of cravings I had just doing keto. I would eat a big keto meal including veggies, fat, meat, and still be ravenous. Then I could eat half a pound of macadamia nuts and Lily’s chocolate and still not feel satisfied. After moving to all animal foods I find I am very satiated and not looking for more and more food after eating. There is something to be said for eating more protein when it comes to satiety. I could eat lots of extra fat on keto and never feel full. But now, eating fatty burgers, steak, eggs and bacon I feel no need to keep looking for more after a meal. There’s a good post from Amy Berger about this too:

(Erin Macfarland ) #7

Protein will not make you fat, article
Sugar Question
(CharleyD) #8

Holy cow, Erin, this is about as perfect a post as I’ve seen and explains so much.

Required reading, y’all, check it out!

(Naomi Brewster) #9

Wow - such an amazing article and ironed out a few kinks in my thinking. Thanks for the link. Mike Mutzel interviewed her (Amy Berger) a while back on altzheimers and keto which was an excellent interview and I’m glad to have found her again.

(Lesley) #10

Thank you so much for sharing this @Emacfarland. Brilliant read. Everything explained so well.:blossom:

(Allie) #11

I have no insulin reaction to whey protein, but 100g would be a stupid amount for anyone to consume in one go - serving size is one scoop which works out at 25 - 30g. This is the one I use -

(Allan L) #12

Chuckle, Well said! :slight_smile:

(Chris) #13

When talking in terms of actual food as I would, 100g protein from meat is hardly satiating. Not as stupid as 4 scoops of whey, more nutrient-rich and easy on the colon. Whey is also a bit distant down the spectrum of processed foods that I wouldn’t even consider it zero carb or carnivorous.

(Erin Macfarland ) #14

I’m glad you found it helpful @Dipper_Actual ! It helped me feel better about eating meat as libitum. It increased my satiety and helped with my energy levels. Definitely worth trying out.

(Erin Macfarland ) #15

You are welcome @KetoWally !

(Ken) #16

Excellent. This is why I consider the 60/35/5% moderate protein macro to be most effective.

(Nicole Sawchuk) #17

Thank you Erin for posting this as it did clear up a lot of stuff. I have never really limited my protein only because like mentioned in the article, it is the only thing that satiates me. With that said, I naturally don’t go overboard either. I have done the calculations (although I am still unsure of my LBM because the calculations I have found seem too loose), but point being I am within the range.

(Allie) #18

I was referring to the idea of four scoops of whey specifically… :slight_smile:

(VLC.MD) #19

The point is protein raises glucose levels.
I’m not suggesting whey protein is good protein. I’m not suggesting keto is consuming 100g of Whey Protein at a meal. I’m outlining a protocol to show protein raises your glucose level.

Thanks Erin. Good read. I’ve often run into the issue of consuming a good bit of fat and still being hungry. This helps a lot.

Have considered going carnivore but I actually enjoy leafy greens and some carbs… Still mulling it over but it would probably work well for me.

Oh, and wine… I really like wine. :slight_smile: