Question about Protein

I have a question about protein consumption. I understand the recommendation for keto is one gram of protein per kilo of lean body weight, but what I want to understand is, would a person eating too much protein be dropped out of ketosis?

I am asking because I have just been eating protein and fat without tracking, but then sat down to figure out what the breakdown of my macros would be… I discovered that I have been eating closer to one gram per pound of lean body weight… I have remained in ketosis without issue.

I train with weights 5 days per week and try to walk 30 to 45 minutes as well. I am not losing weight, but am seeing good results in the mirror.

What I would like to know… is my current protein intake hindering me from achieving even better results?

I appreciate all of the wisdom here, please let me know your thoughts.

(Adam Kirby) #2

Lots of people can consume a ton of protein and still be in ketosis. Results are more important than any arbitrary keto calculator or ketone number.

(Mario) #3

i did not fall out of ketosis even after 2.8 gr/kg lean bodyweight.

1.8 to 2.0 seems perfect for me to gain lean mass while 1.0 gr/kg let me not gain anything or just very slow

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #4

Weightlifting will utilize excess protein. The Eades dialed your protein requirement based on your LBM and your activity level. I was up to .8g x LBM in pounds with no problem in my previous experience.

(Allie) #5

It’s possible but not guaranteed for everyone.

(Consensus is Politics) #6

When I was maybe two months into Keto, I over did it on protein one day, by quite a bit. I was way off on my measurements for what I had prepared. I ended up eating close to 200 grams of protein. I had calculated some cuts of meat as having a lot of fat, when in fact it was all very lean.

Long story short… I’m Type 2 diabetic, and extremely insulin resistant. My BG shot up to almost 200 from about 90 half hour after eating. I felt like crap the next couple of days. This was in a time when I was checking my urine ketones several times a day. For three days I had no keytones showing in my urine, and I felt hungry. Basically felt like I did before going Keto. My blood sugar was elevated only for a few hours. But the effect afterward felt bad.

I pretty much felt like I was having to restart Ketosis again. So I fried up some bacon and eggs. Had a bunch of pepperoni and cheese. By the fourth day I had keytones showing in my urine again.

I’ve read several places that excess protein will/can get converted into glucose. Which then gets converted to fat and stored. My assumption is that glucose is going to cause an insulin spike, stave off fat burning, and probably cause someone recently turned Keto back to a sugar burner. I have also read that someone that has been ketogenic for a long while (not defined) has a much easier/quicker transition back to Ketosis.

(CharleyD) #7

Steak won’t transform into chocolate cake if you go over a magical number of protein:LBM.

You may get a slight bump in blood glucose but it’s likely not from GNG, it’s from your liver.

However, providing your body lots of building materials, the scale may not go down as your body picks up long term building projects!